2007-02-01 15:00:10

by Brian D. McGrew

Subject: 2.6.16.16 Lost CD-ROM Drive

Hey guys-

Have a Precision workstation with SATA hard drive and SATA CD-ROM. If I
load Fedora Core 5 with a stock 2.6.15 kernel, life is good.

However, I need to use 2.6.16.16. Once I build and install this kernel,
my CD-ROM drive is gone. There is a log entry in dmesg that says "ATAPI
not support. Ignoring."

If I go into the BIOS and set the SATA operations to Legacy/Compatible
then everything is fine. I've rebuilt this kernel about 100 times
trying everything I can think of.

When I have SATA set to legacy, the HDD and CD are detected as /dev/hd*
and when they're set to SATA Normal operation the HDD is detected as
/dev/sda. If I boot my old 2.6.15 (stock install) kernel then the CD is
found as /dev/sdc.

I've even tried taking the installation default configuration file for
the 2.6.15 kernel and just wholesale copying it into my 2.6.16.16 kernel
and build that way but still no go.

What am I missing to get the 2.6.16.16 kernel to see a SATA CD-ROM drive
in normal, non-legacy move?

-brian

Brian D. McGrew { [email protected] ||
[email protected] }
--
> Do not read this email while waxing that cat!

2007-02-01 15:11:19

by Rogelio_Noriega

Subject: RE: 2.6.16.16 Lost CD-ROM Drive

I think Jeremy is on the right track what worked for me on a M70 and M90
is adding "hda=noprobe" on the kernel commandline or in grub.

Roger

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 07:00 -0800, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
> Hey guys-
>
> Have a Precision workstation with SATA hard drive and SATA CD-ROM. If

> I load Fedora Core 5 with a stock 2.6.15 kernel, life is good.
>
> However, I need to use 2.6.16.16. Once I build and install this
> kernel, my CD-ROM drive is gone. There is a log entry in dmesg that
> says "ATAPI not support. Ignoring."
>
> If I go into the BIOS and set the SATA operations to Legacy/Compatible

> then everything is fine. I've rebuilt this kernel about 100 times
> trying everything I can think of.
>
> When I have SATA set to legacy, the HDD and CD are detected as
> /dev/hd* and when they're set to SATA Normal operation the HDD is
> detected as /dev/sda. If I boot my old 2.6.15 (stock install) kernel
> then the CD is found as /dev/sdc.
>
> I've even tried taking the installation default configuration file for

> the 2.6.15 kernel and just wholesale copying it into my 2.6.16.16
> kernel and build that way but still no go.
>
> What am I missing to get the 2.6.16.16 kernel to see a SATA CD-ROM
> drive in normal, non-legacy move?

Try booting 2.6.16 with the following options:

libata.atapi_enabled=1 ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe

> -brian
>
> Brian D. McGrew { [email protected] ||
> [email protected] }
> --
> > Do not read this email while waxing that cat!

by Jeremy Moles

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 07:00 -0800, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
> Hey guys-
>
> Have a Precision workstation with SATA hard drive and SATA CD-ROM. If I
> load Fedora Core 5 with a stock 2.6.15 kernel, life is good.
>
> However, I need to use 2.6.16.16. Once I build and install this kernel,
> my CD-ROM drive is gone. There is a log entry in dmesg that says "ATAPI
> not support. Ignoring."
>
> If I go into the BIOS and set the SATA operations to Legacy/Compatible
> then everything is fine. I've rebuilt this kernel about 100 times
> trying everything I can think of.
>
> When I have SATA set to legacy, the HDD and CD are detected as /dev/hd*
> and when they're set to SATA Normal operation the HDD is detected as
> /dev/sda. If I boot my old 2.6.15 (stock install) kernel then the CD is
> found as /dev/sdc.
>
> I've even tried taking the installation default configuration file for
> the 2.6.15 kernel and just wholesale copying it into my 2.6.16.16 kernel
> and build that way but still no go.
>
> What am I missing to get the 2.6.16.16 kernel to see a SATA CD-ROM drive
> in normal, non-legacy move?

Try booting 2.6.16 with the following options:

libata.atapi_enabled=1 ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe

> -brian
>
> Brian D. McGrew { [email protected] ||
> [email protected] }
> --
> > Do not read this email while waxing that cat!

by Brian D. McGrew

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 07:00 -0800, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
> Hey guys-
>
> Have a Precision workstation with SATA hard drive and SATA CD-ROM. If
> load Fedora Core 5 with a stock 2.6.15 kernel, life is good.
>
> However, I need to use 2.6.16.16. Once I build and install this
kernel,
> my CD-ROM drive is gone. There is a log entry in dmesg that says
"ATAPI
> not support. Ignoring."
>
> If I go into the BIOS and set the SATA operations to Legacy/Compatible
> then everything is fine. I've rebuilt this kernel about 100 times
> trying everything I can think of.
>
> When I have SATA set to legacy, the HDD and CD are detected as
/dev/hd*
> and when they're set to SATA Normal operation the HDD is detected as
> /dev/sda. If I boot my old 2.6.15 (stock install) kernel then the CD
is
> found as /dev/sdc.
>
> I've even tried taking the installation default configuration file for
> the 2.6.15 kernel and just wholesale copying it into my 2.6.16.16
kernel
> and build that way but still no go.
>
> What am I missing to get the 2.6.16.16 kernel to see a SATA CD-ROM
drive
> in normal, non-legacy move?

Try booting 2.6.16 with the following options:

libata.atapi_enabled=1 ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe
-----

Still no go. /dev/sda* is created for the hard drive but no CD-ROM and
the same ATAPI error in dmesg.

-brian

2007-02-01 16:33:13

by Stephen John Smoogen

On 2/1/07, Brian D. McGrew <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 07:00 -0800, Brian D. McGrew wrote:
> > Hey guys-
> >
> > Have a Precision workstation with SATA hard drive and SATA CD-ROM. If
> > load Fedora Core 5 with a stock 2.6.15 kernel, life is good.
> >
> > However, I need to use 2.6.16.16. Once I build and install this
> kernel,
> > my CD-ROM drive is gone. There is a log entry in dmesg that says
> "ATAPI
> > not support. Ignoring."
> >
> > If I go into the BIOS and set the SATA operations to Legacy/Compatible
> > then everything is fine. I've rebuilt this kernel about 100 times
> > trying everything I can think of.
> >
> > When I have SATA set to legacy, the HDD and CD are detected as
> /dev/hd*
> > and when they're set to SATA Normal operation the HDD is detected as
> > /dev/sda. If I boot my old 2.6.15 (stock install) kernel then the CD
> is
> > found as /dev/sdc.
> >
> > I've even tried taking the installation default configuration file for
> > the 2.6.15 kernel and just wholesale copying it into my 2.6.16.16
> kernel
> > and build that way but still no go.
> >
> > What am I missing to get the 2.6.16.16 kernel to see a SATA CD-ROM
> drive
> > in normal, non-legacy move?
>
> Try booting 2.6.16 with the following options:
>
> libata.atapi_enabled=1 ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe
> -----
>
> Still no go. /dev/sda* is created for the hard drive but no CD-ROM and
> the same ATAPI error in dmesg.

I would try the following:

yum update
and boot the kernel and see what modules are linked to the cdrom. I am
thinking it is the sr_mod module. I would check to see if its compiled
in the 2.6.16 code.

by Robert Hancock

Brian D. McGrew wrote:
>> What am I missing to get the 2.6.16.16 kernel to see a SATA CD-ROM
> drive
>> in normal, non-legacy move?
>
> Try booting 2.6.16 with the following options:
>
> libata.atapi_enabled=1 ide0=noprobe ide1=noprobe
> -----
>
> Still no go. /dev/sda* is created for the hard drive but no CD-ROM and
> the same ATAPI error in dmesg.

If libata is built as a module, putting libata.atapi_enabled=1 on the
kernel command line won't work. In that case, try putting

options libata atapi_enabled=1

in /etc/modprobe.conf. Of course if libata is being loaded from the
initrd that may not work, in which case the easiest solution is likely
to just build it into the kernel so that the kernel command line method
will work.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]