2007-06-27 03:35:09

by Marc Perkel

Subject: NVidia Driver Support - 1680x1050 mode

Trying to get my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and my
Samsung SyncMaster 215tw Digital to work in 1680x1050
mode but 1280x1024 is the most I can get. Chip Set is
GeForce 6150.

Looking in Xorg.0.log it ssems to think that the panel
size is 1280x1024 in spite of my setting telling it
differently.

Sorry if this is off topic but I thought that the
smart people would be here. In Windows I just plug it
in and it works. So I figure Linux should work too. :)

http://sims.yahoo.com/

2007-06-27 05:26:51

by Mike Lothian

Subject: Re: NVidia Driver Support - 1680x1050 mode

OK where to start?

Firstly this is really the wrong list your writing to. Chances are
you'll be wanting to ask your question at
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14 if your
using the Nvidia Blob otherwise if your using the 2D only NV driver
then you should really aim your question at the Xorg guys and gals

Secondly how exactly did you tell it differently?

Chances are your /etc/conf.d/xorg.conf is wrong if you were using the
latest X server with the latest binary blob (nvidia driver) chances
are it would detect the highest resolution and set it for you. The
program nvidia-xconfig should fix the file for you.

Oh and thirdly do you really think it just works on windows is a good
incentive to get people to help you? Yes it should work out the box
but unfortunately the world of Linux 3D drivers is mostly dominated
with company's that prefers keeping their drivers in a black box and
hopefully in the not too distant future the neuveau project might
remedy this.

Any way I hope this e-mail both helps with your problems and adds to
your understanding of how things work. The kernel mailing list is for
kernel issues (which include rivafb and nvidiafb but not nv and nvidia
3d issues) so if you ever plug in a hard drive and it's not working at
full speed or something along those lines that's when you should call.

Cheers

Mike

On 27/06/07, Marc Perkel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Trying to get my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and my
> Samsung SyncMaster 215tw Digital to work in 1680x1050
> mode but 1280x1024 is the most I can get. Chip Set is
> GeForce 6150.
>
> Looking in Xorg.0.log it ssems to think that the panel
> size is 1280x1024 in spite of my setting telling it
> differently.
>
> Sorry if this is off topic but I thought that the
> smart people would be here. In Windows I just plug it
> in and it works. So I figure Linux should work too. :)

2007-06-27 06:12:51

by Marc Perkel

Thanks - I'll try looking there.

--- Michael Lothian <[email protected]> wrote:

> OK where to start?
>
> Firstly this is really the wrong list your writing
> to. Chances are
> you'll be wanting to ask your question at

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
> if your
> using the Nvidia Blob otherwise if your using the 2D
> only NV driver
> then you should really aim your question at the Xorg
> guys and gals
>
> Secondly how exactly did you tell it differently?
>
> Chances are your /etc/conf.d/xorg.conf is wrong if
> you were using the
> latest X server with the latest binary blob (nvidia
> driver) chances
> are it would detect the highest resolution and set
> it for you. The
> program nvidia-xconfig should fix the file for you.
>
> Oh and thirdly do you really think it just works on
> windows is a good
> incentive to get people to help you? Yes it should
> work out the box
> but unfortunately the world of Linux 3D drivers is
> mostly dominated
> with company's that prefers keeping their drivers in
> a black box and
> hopefully in the not too distant future the neuveau
> project might
> remedy this.
>
> Any way I hope this e-mail both helps with your
> problems and adds to
> your understanding of how things work. The kernel
> mailing list is for
> kernel issues (which include rivafb and nvidiafb but
> not nv and nvidia
> 3d issues) so if you ever plug in a hard drive and
> it's not working at
> full speed or something along those lines that's
> when you should call.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike
>
> On 27/06/07, Marc Perkel <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Trying to get my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and my
> > Samsung SyncMaster 215tw Digital to work in
> 1680x1050
> > mode but 1280x1024 is the most I can get. Chip Set
> is
> > GeForce 6150.
> >
> > Looking in Xorg.0.log it ssems to think that the
> panel
> > size is 1280x1024 in spite of my setting telling
> it
> > differently.
> >
> > Sorry if this is off topic but I thought that the
> > smart people would be here. In Windows I just plug
> it
> > in and it works. So I figure Linux should work
> too. :)

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

2007-06-27 06:18:16

by Marc Perkel

If I were to try a different brand of video card to
get 1680x1050 where the main criteria was "just
works", what brand should I get?

--- Michael Lothian <[email protected]> wrote:

> OK where to start?
>
> Firstly this is really the wrong list your writing
> to. Chances are
> you'll be wanting to ask your question at

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
> if your
> using the Nvidia Blob otherwise if your using the 2D
> only NV driver
> then you should really aim your question at the Xorg
> guys and gals
>
> Secondly how exactly did you tell it differently?
>
> Chances are your /etc/conf.d/xorg.conf is wrong if
> you were using the
> latest X server with the latest binary blob (nvidia
> driver) chances
> are it would detect the highest resolution and set
> it for you. The
> program nvidia-xconfig should fix the file for you.
>
> Oh and thirdly do you really think it just works on
> windows is a good
> incentive to get people to help you? Yes it should
> work out the box
> but unfortunately the world of Linux 3D drivers is
> mostly dominated
> with company's that prefers keeping their drivers in
> a black box and
> hopefully in the not too distant future the neuveau
> project might
> remedy this.
>
> Any way I hope this e-mail both helps with your
> problems and adds to
> your understanding of how things work. The kernel
> mailing list is for
> kernel issues (which include rivafb and nvidiafb but
> not nv and nvidia
> 3d issues) so if you ever plug in a hard drive and
> it's not working at
> full speed or something along those lines that's
> when you should call.
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike
>
> On 27/06/07, Marc Perkel <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Trying to get my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and my
> > Samsung SyncMaster 215tw Digital to work in
> 1680x1050
> > mode but 1280x1024 is the most I can get. Chip Set
> is
> > GeForce 6150.
> >
> > Looking in Xorg.0.log it ssems to think that the
> panel
> > size is 1280x1024 in spite of my setting telling
> it
> > differently.
> >
> > Sorry if this is off topic but I thought that the
> > smart people would be here. In Windows I just plug
> it
> > in and it works. So I figure Linux should work
> too. :)

by Daniel J Blueman

On 27 Jun, 04:40, Marc Perkel <[email protected]> wrote:
> Trying to get my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and my
> Samsung SyncMaster 215tw Digital to work in 1680x1050
> mode but 1280x1024 is the most I can get. Chip Set is
> GeForce 6150.
>
> Looking in Xorg.0.log it ssems to think that the panel
> size is 1280x1024 in spite of my setting telling it
> differently.
>
> Sorry if this is off topic but I thought that the
> smart people would be here. In Windows I just plug it
> in and it works. So I figure Linux should work too. :)

Wrong list, but anyway...

If you're using a DVI cable, ensure it is dual-link.

Daniel
--
Daniel J Blueman

2007-06-27 10:43:18

by Kyle Moffett

Marc, please choose a more appropriate list next time. LKML is not
for user questions about "Why doesn't my monitor+GPU work?"

On Jun 27, 2007, at 05:49:20, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
> On 27 Jun, 04:40, Marc Perkel <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Trying to get my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and my Samsung
>> SyncMaster 215tw Digital to work in 1680x1050 mode but 1280x1024
>> is the most I can get. Chip Set is GeForce 6150.
>>
>> Looking in Xorg.0.log it ssems to think that the panel size is
>> 1280x1024 in spite of my setting telling it differently.
>>
>> Sorry if this is off topic but I thought that the smart people
>> would be here. In Windows I just plug it in and it works. So I
>> figure Linux should work too. :)
>
> Wrong list, but anyway...
>
> If you're using a DVI cable, ensure it is dual-link.

Uhh, no; 1680x1050 does not require a dual-link DVI port/cable. As
to a good GPU which "Just Works(TM)" out of the box and still has at
least passable render performance (although not for some modern
games), the R200-series Radeon cards (listed below) work extremely
well. They even support a 3d-accelerated merged-framebuffer Xinerama-
style; you can split a 3d-accelerated window across both monitors.

R200-series cards:
R200: Radeon 8500/8500LE/9100, FireGL 8700/8800
rv250: Radeon 9000/9000Pro
rv280: Radeon 9200/9250/9200SE

More info here:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/
ATIRadeon#head-9161ac9470497d94f1a4f79794697347b20d5170

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

2007-06-27 12:08:58

by Xavier Bestel

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 06:42 -0400, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> > If you're using a DVI cable, ensure it is dual-link.
>
> Uhh, no; 1680x1050 does not require a dual-link DVI port/cable.

FWIW single-link DVI can do 1920x1200 - for that the X server uses a
"reduced blanking" mode, i.e. the vertical and horizontal retrace
intervals (useless for LCD/TFT anyway, there's no beam to move) are
shortened.

Xav

2007-06-27 12:59:00

by Marc Perkel

--- Kyle Moffett <[email protected]> wrote:

> Marc, please choose a more appropriate list next
> time. LKML is not
> for user questions about "Why doesn't my monitor+GPU
> work?"
>
> On Jun 27, 2007, at 05:49:20, Daniel J Blueman
> wrote:
> > On 27 Jun, 04:40, Marc Perkel <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> >> Trying to get my Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard and my
> Samsung
> >> SyncMaster 215tw Digital to work in 1680x1050
> mode but 1280x1024
> >> is the most I can get. Chip Set is GeForce 6150.
> >>
> >> Looking in Xorg.0.log it ssems to think that the
> panel size is
> >> 1280x1024 in spite of my setting telling it
> differently.
> >>
> >> Sorry if this is off topic but I thought that the
> smart people
> >> would be here. In Windows I just plug it in and
> it works. So I
> >> figure Linux should work too. :)
> >
> > Wrong list, but anyway...
> >
> > If you're using a DVI cable, ensure it is
> dual-link.
>
> Uhh, no; 1680x1050 does not require a dual-link DVI
> port/cable. As
> to a good GPU which "Just Works(TM)" out of the box
> and still has at
> least passable render performance (although not for
> some modern
> games), the R200-series Radeon cards (listed below)
> work extremely
> well. They even support a 3d-accelerated
> merged-framebuffer Xinerama-
> style; you can split a 3d-accelerated window across
> both monitors.
>
> R200-series cards:
> R200: Radeon 8500/8500LE/9100, FireGL 8700/8800
> rv250: Radeon 9000/9000Pro
> rv280: Radeon 9200/9250/9200SE
>
> More info here:
> http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/

ATIRadeon#head-9161ac9470497d94f1a4f79794697347b20d5170

> Cheers,
> Kyle Moffett

Quite frankly, I don't understand why digital LCD
monitor even have scan rates in the first place. It's
not a CRT that actually has an electron beam. You
would thing that it would have a digital interface
where the computer told the monitor what to draw and
the monitor deals with it.

http://tv.yahoo.com/

2007-06-27 14:18:17

by Mike Lothian

I would probably have recommended an Intel chipset they have truly
open drivers which are coming along an absolute treat. Hopefully the
Neuveau drivers will get to a usable stage soon and the r300 (for
radeon cards) will start to support r400 and r500 cards,

Mike

On 27/06/07, Marc Perkel <[email protected]> wrote:
> If I were to try a different brand of video card to
> get 1680x1050 where the main criteria was "just
> works", what brand should I get?

2007-06-27 15:16:17

by Xavier Bestel

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 05:58 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Quite frankly, I don't understand why digital LCD
> monitor even have scan rates in the first place. It's
> not a CRT that actually has an electron beam. You
> would thing that it would have a digital interface
> where the computer told the monitor what to draw and
> the monitor deals with it.

That's it. Information is simply the content of the video RAM, given
serially at a certain rate (as the DVI interface is a serial interface
with a fixed rate, you can't redraw the display at 60fps above a certain
pixel quantity).

Xav

2007-06-27 21:24:18

by Carlo Wood

Or use the same hardware as me (and debian)-- and read on my home page how
I got things working :p

hikaru:/usr/lib>dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii nvidia-glx 100.14.11-0 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii nvidia-glx-dev 100.14.11-0 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver development files
ii nvidia-kernel-2.6-amd64 100.14.11+beta NVIDIA binary kernel module for 2.6 series c
ii nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-4-amd64 100.14.11+beta NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.18
ii nvidia-kernel-2.6.22-rc5-agp1-188e1f81ba31af1b65a2f3611df4c670b092bbac-amd64 100.14.11+beta NVIDIA binary kernel module for Linux 2.6.22

--
Carlo Wood <[email protected]>

PS I use two of my Samsung SyncMaster 205BW (1650x1050) as dual head
on an ASUS EN8600 GTS (dual-head). You need nvidia's beta drivers
(>= 100.14.06) for that to work though.

2007-06-28 19:16:53

by Marc Perkel

--- Carlo Wood <[email protected]> wrote:

> Or use the same hardware as me (and debian)-- and
> read on my home page how
> I got things working :p
>
> hikaru:/usr/lib>dpkg -l | grep nvidia
> ii nvidia-glx 100.14.11-0 NVIDIA
> binary Xorg driver
> ii nvidia-glx-dev 100.14.11-0
> NVIDIA binary Xorg driver development files
> ii nvidia-kernel-2.6-amd64 100.14.11+beta
> NVIDIA binary kernel module for 2.6 series c
> ii nvidia-kernel-2.6.18-4-amd64
> 100.14.11+beta NVIDIA binary kernel module for
> Linux 2.6.18
> ii

nvidia-kernel-2.6.22-rc5-agp1-188e1f81ba31af1b65a2f3611df4c670b092bbac-amd64
> 100.14.11+beta NVIDIA binary kernel module for
> Linux 2.6.22
>
> --
> Carlo Wood <[email protected]>
>
> PS I use two of my Samsung SyncMaster 205BW
> (1650x1050) as dual head
> on an ASUS EN8600 GTS (dual-head). You need
> nvidia's beta drivers
> (>= 100.14.06) for that to work though.

Yes - I downloaded the drivers from nVidia and
everything works now. Thanks to everyone for your
help.

http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/