2007-09-11 21:16:20

by Xavier Bestel

Subject: r8169: can't send magic packet for Wake-On-Lan

Hi again,

with the r8169 I can't send a magic packet anymore. I'm using ethtool
for that, with the previous one (an rtl8139b) it was working very well.
ethtool -D apparently says it could send the packet ok.
The receiving side hasn't changed (it's an r8169 too), it's setup for
wake-on-lan and is soft-powered-off with ACPI as it should (no change in
config since a few years).

Do I have to set something special on the sending end ?

Thanks,

Xav

2007-09-11 21:34:18

by Francois Romieu

Subject: Re: r8169: can't send magic packet for Wake-On-Lan

Xavier Bestel <[email protected]> :
[...]
> with the r8169 I can't send a magic packet anymore. I'm using ethtool
> for that, with the previous one (an rtl8139b) it was working very well.
> ethtool -D apparently says it could send the packet ok.

I see no "-D" option in the sources from the git repository of ethtool.

Where did you find it ?

--
Ueimor

2007-09-12 04:47:18

by Xavier Bestel

Le mardi 11 septembre 2007 ? 23:30 +0200, Francois Romieu a ?crit :
> Xavier Bestel <[email protected]> :
> [...]
> > with the r8169 I can't send a magic packet anymore. I'm using ethtool
> > for that, with the previous one (an rtl8139b) it was working very well.
> > ethtool -D apparently says it could send the packet ok.
>
> I see no "-D" option in the sources from the git repository of ethtool.
>
> Where did you find it ?

Err sorry, I mixed up everything ... I'm using *etherwake* to make the
WOL magic packet, and ethtool to check the interface options.

Xav

2007-09-12 21:23:59

by Francois Romieu

Xavier Bestel <[email protected]> :
[...]
> Err sorry, I mixed up everything ... I'm using *etherwake* to make the
> WOL magic packet, and ethtool to check the interface options.

Weird.

Can you capture the traffic from the receiving (live) r8169 whith
both senders and specify the kernel version of the sender/receiver ?

--
Ueimor

2007-09-13 07:31:21

by Xavier Bestel

On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 23:20 +0200, Francois Romieu wrote:
> Xavier Bestel <[email protected]> :
> [...]
> > Err sorry, I mixed up everything ... I'm using *etherwake* to make the
> > WOL magic packet, and ethtool to check the interface options.
>
> Weird.
>
> Can you capture the traffic from the receiving (live) r8169 whith
> both senders and specify the kernel version of the sender/receiver ?

Sorry for not following up: the packet arrives correctly to the
receiving host when it's running, the problem is that it doesn't wake
up. As I have changed the switch at the same time (gigabit upgrade)
maybe when the host is powered off the switch doesn't forward the magic
packet ?
I'll dig the old 10/100 hub and try again.

Thanks,
Xav