2007-12-12 10:32:16

by Soeren Sonnenburg

Subject: 2.6.24-rc4: bluetooth device gone after suspend to ram

Dear all,

I noticed that on my macbook pro1,1 the bluetooth device is gone after
suspend to ram, i.e.

/usr/sbin/hciconfig -a

normally lists hci0: Type: USB ...

but after suspend does nothing.

Here it does not help to remove the modules and to reload them. Also the
driver reloads without giving any error msg, but still nothing. As
others on mactel-users had the same problem (on mac mini/mbp2,2) it may
be worth investigating:

relevant dmesg:

Bluetooth: Core ver 2.11
NET: Registered protocol family 31
Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.9
Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.2
Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.8
Bluetooth: HCI USB driver ver 2.9

Any ideas?
Soeren

2007-12-12 11:52:55

by Oliver Neukum

Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2007 11:31:57 schrieb Soeren Sonnenburg:
> Dear all,
>
> I noticed that on my macbook pro1,1 the bluetooth device is gone after
> suspend to ram, i.e.

Is this a regression?
Does it work if you unload hci_usb before you suspend?
If so, please recompile with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG and provide
dmesg.

Regards
Oliver

2007-12-12 16:31:01

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Oliver,

> > I noticed that on my macbook pro1,1 the bluetooth device is gone after
> > suspend to ram, i.e.
>
> Is this a regression?
> Does it work if you unload hci_usb before you suspend?
> If so, please recompile with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG and provide
> dmesg.

sometimes ACPI is involved and will killswitch the Bluetooth device on
suspend. Sometimes the distros to a manual killswitch. And in case of
Bluetooth a killswitch means physically removing the power from the
device.

In case of a MacBook it can happen that this device goes back into HID
mode and thus you need to call hid2hci.

Regards

Marcel

2007-12-12 18:23:58

by Soeren Sonnenburg

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 17:08 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> > > I noticed that on my macbook pro1,1 the bluetooth device is gone after
> > > suspend to ram, i.e.
> >
> > Is this a regression?
> > Does it work if you unload hci_usb before you suspend?
> > If so, please recompile with CONFIG_USB_DEBUG and provide
> > dmesg.

No it was always like this.

> sometimes ACPI is involved and will killswitch the Bluetooth device on
> suspend. Sometimes the distros to a manual killswitch. And in case of
> Bluetooth a killswitch means physically removing the power from the
> device.
>
> In case of a MacBook it can happen that this device goes back into HID
> mode and thus you need to call hid2hci.

indeed after calling hid2hci the device is visible again via
hciconfig -a

Thanks!!!
Soeren