2002-10-30 00:07:36

by Ed Vance

Subject: what serial port type are Elan ports?

Hi,

I need to know what UART type the serial driver detects for the two built-in
serial ports on the AMD Elan Microcontroller?

Would some nice person who has an Elan based system please send me the first
ten lines of the output of the following command?

more /proc/tty/driver/serial

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Ed Vance edv (at) macrolink (dot) com
Macrolink, Inc. 1500 N. Kellogg Dr Anaheim, CA 92807

by Alex Pavloff

Subject: RE: what serial port type are Elan ports?

Elan Sc3x0?
Elan Sc4x0?
Elan Sc520?

I assume you mean the 520, if you really want to find the UART for the SC3x0
I might be convinced to plug in a hard drive to one of my many SC320s lying
around and let you know.

Alex Pavloff - [email protected]
Eason Technology -- http://www.eason.com

by Ed Vance

Hi Alex,

Thanks, I think the Elan SC520 is all I need. I don't know if the other
chips in the family have the same bug.

There is a conflict between the Elan work-around and the 16C654 UART. It
looks like the work-around causes it to drop transmit data. If I can know
for sure the detected type of the Elan's ports, then I can shield all other
UART types from the work-around with a quick type field check without losing
the benefit of the work-around.

Suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,
Ed

by Alex Pavloff

Hi Ed,

I've got an SC520 dev board here actually. I can get that output to you
tommorow (have to scrounge up a power supply et al).

Alex Pavloff - [email protected]
Eason Technology -- http://www.eason.com

2002-10-30 01:59:35

by Alex Pavloff

Hi Ed,

Well, here's the output from my stock Red Hat 7.3 (2.4.18-3) system, running
on an AMD ElanSC520-133AC Alpha Rev 1A from 1999 (antique, aint it?). Its
sitting on an AMD Aspen Microcontroller Customer Developer Platform Rev 1.2.

serinfo:1.0 driver:5.05c revision:2001-07-08
0: uart:16550A port:3F8 irq:4 baud:9600 tx:11 rx:0
1: uart:16550A port:2F8 irq:3 baud:9600 tx:11 rx:0
2: uart:unknown port:3E8 irq:4
3: uart:unknown port:2E8 irq:3
4: uart:unknown port:1A0 irq:9
5: uart:unknown port:1A8 irq:9
6: uart:unknown port:1B0 irq:9
7: uart:unknown port:1B8 irq:9
8: uart:unknown port:2A0 irq:5
9: uart:unknown port:2A8 irq:5

Is this what you need?

Alex Pavloff - [email protected]
Eason Technology -- http://www.eason.com

by Robert Schwebel

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 05:13:40PM -0800, Ed Vance wrote:
> Thanks, I think the Elan SC520 is all I need. I don't know if the other
> chips in the family have the same bug.

At least the SC410 has the same bug. Unfortunately I don't have a
ready-to-run system at the moment, so I cannot make the tests right now.

Robert
Braunschweiger Str. 79, 31134 Hildesheim, Germany
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Hildesheim, HRA 2686
Phone: +49-5121-28619-0 | Fax: +49-5121-28619-4

Visit us at the SPS/IPC/Drives 2002 in Nuernberg!
Hall 5, Booth 154 +++ Please contact us for details.

2002-10-30 16:38:44

by Ed Vance

Hi Alex,

Yes, it is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much.

Robert Schwebel has indicated that the Elan silicon bug is also in the SC410
chip. If you or somebody else have a ready to run SC4X0 based system, please
send me the first ten or so lines of output from the following command so I
can see the UART type that was detected for the SC4X0's serial ports:

more /proc/tty/driver/serial

Thanks again,
Ed

by Ed Vance

Hi Robert,
On Wed, October 30, 2002 at 2:33 AM, Robert Schwebel wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 05:13:40PM -0800, Ed Vance wrote:
> > Thanks, I think the Elan SC520 is all I need. I don't know
> > if the other chips in the family have the same bug.
>
> At least the SC410 has the same bug. Unfortunately I don't have a
> ready-to-run system at the moment, so I cannot make the tests
> right now.
>
> Robert
> --

Thanks for the good information.

Do you think there is a need to look at the UART type on any more of the
Elan based systems if the SC4X0 is also detected as a generic 16550A?