2008-06-21 10:15:41

by Soeren Sonnenburg

Subject: hdparm -M acoustic management for sata disks?

Dear all,

why is acoustic management via hdparm not supported for sata disks?

# hdparm -M /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
acoustic = not supported

# sudo hdparm -M 254 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
setting acoustic management to 254
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD:ACOUSTIC failed: Input/output error
acoustic = not supported

Is there any patch flying around that already enables this or even any
ETA in the current mainstream?

Thanks!
Soeren

2008-06-21 14:00:57

by Mark Lord

Subject: Re: hdparm -M acoustic management for sata disks?

Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> why is acoustic management via hdparm not supported for sata disks?
>
> # hdparm -M /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
> acoustic = not supported
..

No, that means that your *drive* doesn't support it.
Check for yourself, with "hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep Acoustic".

..
> Is there any patch flying around that already enables this or even any
> ETA in the current mainstream?
..

No patch required -- hdparm (newer versions) already do this correctly.

Cheers

2008-06-21 16:41:17

by Soeren Sonnenburg

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 10:00 -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > why is acoustic management via hdparm not supported for sata disks?
> >
> > # hdparm -M /dev/sda
> >
> > /dev/sda:
> > acoustic = not supported
> ..
>
> No, that means that your *drive* doesn't support it.
> Check for yourself, with "hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep Acoustic".

Just to be sure, did you mean grep acoustic (lowercase)? Because it is
listed there under Capabilities:
Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 0

I've tried with the 5 sata drives I could get my hands on, they all list
some recommended acoustic management value but all fail the same way

# hdparm -M 128 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
setting acoustic management to 128
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD:ACOUSTIC failed: Input/output error
acoustic = not supported

> ..
> > Is there any patch flying around that already enables this or even any
> > ETA in the current mainstream?
> ..
>
> No patch required -- hdparm (newer versions) already do this correctly.

I have hdparm v8.9 here, is that new enough?

Thanks for you help,
Soeren

2008-06-21 16:55:12

by Mark Lord

Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

> Just to be sure, did you mean grep acoustic (lowercase)? Because it is
> listed there under Capabilities:
> Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 0
..

Ahh.. That part of the output just shows the "current setting field",
which is zero (0) or "invalid" in your case. That's a display error
in hdparm -- it probably shouldn't bother with that field when the
feature is missing from the feature list that is given lower down
in the output. (the reason it doesn't discard it today, is that early
drives had the feature but didn't report it lower down.. but we can
distinguish those drives by ATA version number now).

Here's hdparm-8.9 on a drive that *does* support the feature:

$ hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep Acoustic
* Automatic Acoustic Management feature set

$ hdparm -M /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
acoustic = 254 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)

$ hdparm -M128 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
setting acoustic management to 128
acoustic = 128 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)

$ hdparm -M254 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
setting acoustic management to 254
acoustic = 254 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)

2008-06-21 17:00:34

by Mark Lord

Mark Lord wrote:
>..
> Here's hdparm-8.9 on a drive that *does* support the feature:
>

> $ hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep Acoustic
> * Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
>
> $ hdparm -M /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
> acoustic = 254 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)
>
> $ hdparm -M128 /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
> setting acoustic management to 128
> acoustic = 128 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)
>
> $ hdparm -M254 /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
> setting acoustic management to 254
> acoustic = 254 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)
..

And one more:

$ hdparm -M0 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
setting acoustic management to 0
acoustic = 254 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)

$ hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep -i acoustic
Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 254
Automatic Acoustic Management feature set

(the lack of a '*' on that last line indicates the feature is no longer enabled).

-ml

2008-06-21 18:34:41

by Ondrej Zary

On Saturday 21 June 2008 18:40:56 Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 10:00 -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> > Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > why is acoustic management via hdparm not supported for sata disks?
> > >
> > > # hdparm -M /dev/sda
> > >
> > > /dev/sda:
> > > acoustic = not supported
> >
> > ..
> >
> > No, that means that your *drive* doesn't support it.
> > Check for yourself, with "hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep Acoustic".
>
> Just to be sure, did you mean grep acoustic (lowercase)? Because it is
> listed there under Capabilities:
> Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 0
>
> I've tried with the 5 sata drives I could get my hands on, they all list
> some recommended acoustic management value but all fail the same way
>
> # hdparm -M 128 /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
> setting acoustic management to 128
> HDIO_DRIVE_CMD:ACOUSTIC failed: Input/output error
> acoustic = not supported

Aren't they Seagate drives? They're known not to support acoustic management.

> > ..
> >
> > > Is there any patch flying around that already enables this or even any
> > > ETA in the current mainstream?
> >
> > ..
> >
> > No patch required -- hdparm (newer versions) already do this correctly.
>
> I have hdparm v8.9 here, is that new enough?
>
> Thanks for you help,
> Soeren

Ondrej Zary

2008-06-21 18:39:38

by Soeren Sonnenburg

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 13:00 -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> Mark Lord wrote:
> >..
> > Here's hdparm-8.9 on a drive that *does* support the feature:
> >

> > $ hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep Acoustic
> > * Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
> >
> > $ hdparm -M /dev/sda
> >
> > /dev/sda:
> > acoustic = 254 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)
> >
> > $ hdparm -M128 /dev/sda
> >
> > /dev/sda:
> > setting acoustic management to 128
> > acoustic = 128 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)
> >
> > $ hdparm -M254 /dev/sda
> >
> > /dev/sda:
> > setting acoustic management to 254
> > acoustic = 254 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)
> ..
>
> And one more:
>
> $ hdparm -M0 /dev/sda
>
> /dev/sda:
> setting acoustic management to 0
> acoustic = 254 (128=quiet ... 254=fast)
>
> $ hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep -i acoustic
> Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 254
> Automatic Acoustic Management feature set
>
> (the lack of a '*' on that last line indicates the feature is no longer enabled).

OK, I guess I have to accept that the drives I have here just don't
support AAM - just couldn't imagine that rather new 750G drives etc
don't have that feature :(

Thanks for the clarifications,
Soeren

2008-06-21 18:47:21

by Soeren Sonnenburg

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 20:34 +0200, Ondrej Zary wrote:
> On Saturday 21 June 2008 18:40:56 Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:

> disks?
> > > [...]
> > # hdparm -M 128 /dev/sda
> >
> > /dev/sda:
> > setting acoustic management to 128
> > HDIO_DRIVE_CMD:ACOUSTIC failed: Input/output error
> > acoustic = not supported
> >

> Aren't they Seagate drives? They're known not to support acoustic management.

Yes all of them were seagate drives.

So just bad luck... I should simply not have exchanged that noise fan -
now I head the hard-disks seeking...

Am I guessing right that samsung, hitachi et.al just do have support for
AAM?

Soeren

2008-06-21 19:52:47

by markus reichelt

* Soeren Sonnenburg <[email protected]> wrote:

> Am I guessing right that samsung, hitachi et.al just do have
> support for AAM?

Model Number: SAMSUNG HD501LJ

Recommended acoustic management value: 254, current value: 254
* Automatic Acoustic Management feature set

My samsung drive supports it, but I do not hear any difference at
all.

Among the most quiet drives I ever used are the samsung PATA
(spinpoint) ones.

--
left blank, right bald

Attachments:
(No filename) (466.00 B)
(No filename) (197.00 B)

by Alan

> I've tried with the 5 sata drives I could get my hands on, they all list
> some recommended acoustic management value but all fail the same way

A lot of drives dropped the acoustic management stuff internally. If I
remember rightly there was a patent dispute about it just after it got
into the ATA standard.

Alan

2008-06-22 19:55:29

by Michael Tokarev

Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
[]
> Am I guessing right that samsung, hitachi et.al just do have support for
> AAM?

Well, it was a neat surprise to me when I discovered that a newly
purchased - not Seagate which I almost always used - drive has all
the acoustic stuff in place.

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: Hitachi HUA721050KLA330
Firmware Revision: GK6OA70M
Recommended acoustic management value: 128, current value: 128
* Automatic Acoustic Management feature set

And it's indeed more quiet when seeking if acoustic management value
is set to 128, and quite more load when set to 255. Speed decreases
a bit (I didn't do any measurements), but not much.

Western Digital drives also has acoustic management in place. At
least some of them. But I never heard of this stuff present for
Seagate drives - my guess is that those are in a "good" compromise
between speed and loudness already :)

/mjt