2010-01-15 17:38:44

by Kasper Sandberg

Subject: option driver freezing entire system

Hello..

Im having some issues with some huawei e1752 modems, the computer
sometimes completely freezes, and i suspect its due to the option
driver, as it doesnt happen if i dont modeswitch them to appear as
option modem.

Do you have any idea what might cause this? i looked all over the system
logs and theres nothing to help at all, but i have seen this spanning
from .26 to .32, on multiple computers, and i just dont know what to do
to fix it.

Thanks in advance

2010-01-18 15:57:28

by Jiri Kosina

Subject: Re: option driver freezing entire system

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Kasper Sandberg wrote:

> > Please recompile your kernel with lockdep. This should improve
> > debugging.
>
> It is a debian unstable .32 kernel i run now, and grepping for lockdep
> reveals:
> CONFIG_LOCKDEP_SUPPORT=y
> only, is there anything more i should have? (never used lockdep before)

CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING could be helpful here. (be aware of the fact that
this will make your system noticeably slower).

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

2010-01-22 19:11:58

by Kasper Sandberg

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 16:57 +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010, Kasper Sandberg wrote:
>
> > > Please recompile your kernel with lockdep. This should improve
> > > debugging.
> >
> > It is a debian unstable .32 kernel i run now, and grepping for lockdep
> > reveals:
> > CONFIG_LOCKDEP_SUPPORT=y
> > only, is there anything more i should have? (never used lockdep before)
>
> CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING could be helpful here. (be aware of the fact that
> this will make your system noticeably slower).

Sorry, i was just away a few days. I shall enable this setting tomorow
and test, though it may take a few days for it to crash.

2010-01-26 12:51:39

by Jiri Kosina

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Kasper Sandberg wrote:

> > > It is a debian unstable .32 kernel i run now, and grepping for lockdep
> > > reveals:
> > > CONFIG_LOCKDEP_SUPPORT=y
> > > only, is there anything more i should have? (never used lockdep before)
> >
> > CONFIG_PROVE_LOCKING could be helpful here. (be aware of the fact that
> > this will make your system noticeably slower).
>
> Sorry, i was just away a few days. I shall enable this setting tomorow
> and test, though it may take a few days for it to crash.

This option should ideally report the lock ordering violation before the
actual hang happens (if it is caused by improper locking semantics).

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.

2010-01-15 17:55:03

by Oliver Neukum

Am Freitag, 15. Januar 2010 18:38:36 schrieb Kasper Sandberg:
> Hello..
>
> Im having some issues with some huawei e1752 modems, the computer
> sometimes completely freezes, and i suspect its due to the option
> driver, as it doesnt happen if i dont modeswitch them to appear as
> option modem.
>
> Do you have any idea what might cause this? i looked all over the system
> logs and theres nothing to help at all, but i have seen this spanning
> from .26 to .32, on multiple computers, and i just dont know what to do
> to fix it.

Please recompile your kernel with lockdep. This should improve
debugging.

Regards
Oliver

2010-01-15 18:37:05