2012-10-22 16:21:44

by Greg KH

Subject: usbview 2.0 release

After 2 1/2 years, I figure it's about time for a new release of
usbview, as some people still use it, and with recent kernels making
usbfs go away, there have been some reports of problems.

Big changes from the 1.1 release in 2009 is:
- gtk3 support
- use debugfs instead of obsolete usbfs files.

Both changes came from Hans de Goede, many thanks for the patches.

The package can be downladed at:
http://www.kroah.com/linux/usb/usbview-2.0.tar.gz
and the git tree can be found at:
http://github.com/gregkh/usbview

thanks,

greg k-h

2012-10-22 17:19:07

by Anil Nair

Subject: Re: usbview 2.0 release

Hello Greg,

But while compiling it i am getting an error,

"checking for GTK... no
configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-3.0 >= 3.0) were not met:

No package 'gtk+-3.0' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GTK_CFLAGS
and GTK_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details."

The OS i am using is ubuntu-11.10 amd64.

Anil Nair

2012-10-22 17:43:53

by Steven J. Magnani

Anil -

On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 22:49 +0530, Anil Nair wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>
> But while compiling it i am getting an error,
>
> "checking for GTK... no
> configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-3.0 >= 3.0) were not met:
>
> No package 'gtk+-3.0' found
> The OS i am using is ubuntu-11.10 amd64.

I can't speak for Ubuntu, but on Fedora installing gtk3-devel eliminated
the message you describe.
Steven J. Magnani "I claim this network for MARS!
http://www.digidescorp.com Earthling, return my space modulator!"

#include <standard.disclaimer>

2012-10-22 17:58:42

by Greg KH

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 12:37:03PM -0500, Steven J. Magnani wrote:
> Anil -
>
> On Mon, 2012-10-22 at 22:49 +0530, Anil Nair wrote:
> > Hello Greg,
> >
> > But while compiling it i am getting an error,
> >
> > "checking for GTK... no
> > configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-3.0 >= 3.0) were not met:
> >
> > No package 'gtk+-3.0' found
> > The OS i am using is ubuntu-11.10 amd64.
>
> I can't speak for Ubuntu, but on Fedora installing gtk3-devel eliminated
> the message you describe.

Yes, that is required. Anil, let me know if you have that type of
package installed, and if after doing so, you still get the same error.

thanks,

greg k-h

2012-10-22 18:31:23

by Anil Nair

Hello Greg and Steven,

>> I can't speak for Ubuntu, but on Fedora installing gtk3-devel eliminated
>> the message you describe.
>
> Yes, that is required. Anil, let me know if you have that type of
> package installed, and if after doing so, you still get the same error.

I should have googled that before posting it on mailing list. :P.
Anyways, installing the package named libgtk-3-dev in ubuntu solved
that problem.

Thanks Guys.

Anil Nair

2012-10-22 18:39:04

by Anil Nair

Hello Greg,

I had only one doubt though the tool seems to work for rooted users only?
when i try to launch it as a normal user it gives me error saying,

"
Can not open the file /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices

Verify that you have USB compiled into your kernel,
have the USB core modules loaded, and have the
usbdevfs filesystem mounted

"

That problem gets solved when using root user, is it because of the
reason that i have to mount usbdevfs for my current user?
The earlier usbview v1.1 tool required that that is why i am asking you.

--
Regrads,
Anil Nair

2012-10-22 18:50:10

by Greg KH

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:09:00AM +0530, Anil Nair wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>
> I had only one doubt though the tool seems to work for rooted users only?
> when i try to launch it as a normal user it gives me error saying,
>
> "
> Can not open the file /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices
>
> Verify that you have USB compiled into your kernel,
> have the USB core modules loaded, and have the
> usbdevfs filesystem mounted
>
> "

Ugh, that old usbdevfs name should go away, it's debugfs that is being
used now, thanks for pointing it out.

> That problem gets solved when using root user, is it because of the
> reason that i have to mount usbdevfs for my current user?
> The earlier usbview v1.1 tool required that that is why i am asking you.

No, debugfs needs to be mounted at /sys/kernel/debug/ Is it not mounted
that way for you? Perhaps it is mounted with root-only access (default
for 3.7-rc1 and newer kernels)?

I should just port the thing to use libusb instead of debugfs, but
that's a larger job for such a low-priority tool.

thanks,

greg k-h

2012-10-23 04:47:25

by Anil Nair

Hello Greg,

> No, debugfs needs to be mounted at /sys/kernel/debug/ Is it not mounted
> that way for you? Perhaps it is mounted with root-only access (default
> for 3.7-rc1 and newer kernels)?

Yes you are right i verified "/sys/kernel/debug" has root-only access.
The kernel version i am using is 3.0.0-26-generic(Default kernel
provided by ubuntu 11.10 amd64).

> I should just port the thing to use libusb instead of debugfs, but
> that's a larger job for such a low-priority tool.

If you don't mind i would like to give it a try, though most of the
terminologies i don't know but i would like to give it a try, just
guide me on way of doing it thats all.

Anil Nair

2012-10-24 02:59:31

by Greg KH

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:17:22AM +0530, Anil Nair wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>
> > No, debugfs needs to be mounted at /sys/kernel/debug/ Is it not mounted
> > that way for you? Perhaps it is mounted with root-only access (default
> > for 3.7-rc1 and newer kernels)?
>
> Yes you are right i verified "/sys/kernel/debug" has root-only access.
> The kernel version i am using is 3.0.0-26-generic(Default kernel
> provided by ubuntu 11.10 amd64).
>
> > I should just port the thing to use libusb instead of debugfs, but
> > that's a larger job for such a low-priority tool.
>
> If you don't mind i would like to give it a try, though most of the
> terminologies i don't know but i would like to give it a try, just
> guide me on way of doing it thats all.

Look at how the lsusb tool walks the list of all USB devices in the
system, using libusb, and port that code over to usbview, replacing the
big "walk and parse the devices file" functionality.

It shouldn't be that hard, if you run into any problems, please let me
know.

thanks,

greg k-h

2012-10-24 16:35:51

by Anil Nair

Hello Greg,

> Look at how the lsusb tool walks the list of all USB devices in the
> system, using libusb, and port that code over to usbview, replacing the
> big "walk and parse the devices file" functionality.

You meant to say replace the functions calling or using debugfs by
API's of libusb?
Well i will try working on it, but i can't say a sure time when it
will be completed..... i know working of USB just need to go through
libusb API's and some examples.

Anil Nair

2012-10-24 16:41:18

by Greg KH

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 10:05:48PM +0530, Anil Nair wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>
> > Look at how the lsusb tool walks the list of all USB devices in the
> > system, using libusb, and port that code over to usbview, replacing the
> > big "walk and parse the devices file" functionality.
> >

> You meant to say replace the functions calling or using debugfs by
> API's of libusb?

Yes. But note, the debugfs "usage" is just reading a single file and
parsing the structure of that file and filling out an internal "tree" of
USB devices. So moving that to use libusb should be pretty simple.

> Well i will try working on it, but i can't say a sure time when it
> will be completed..... i know working of USB just need to go through
> libusb API's and some examples.

Again, look at the usbutils source code, it does most of this for you
already, and you can take the code from there since the license is the
same.

good luck,

greg k-h