2013-08-02 21:04:58

by Bjorn Helgaas

vger already adds a "to unsubscribe from this list" footer to messages
to LKML and other lists. What if it also added the lkml.kernel.org
"http://lkml.kernel.org/r/CA+55aFxb3NT3_04ZLKiCFrtTXSdi4bfQFf0HJviRRYPTW4ymXA@mail.gmail.com"?

I often use the permalink to cite an email in bugzilla reports,
changelogs, other conversations, etc., and I currently dig out the
message-ID and construct the link by hand, so having the link directly
in the footer would be handy for me. Would anybody else find this
useful?

Bjorn

2013-08-02 21:36:43

by Shuah Khan

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <[email protected]> wrote:
> vger already adds a "to unsubscribe from this list" footer to messages
> to LKML and other lists. What if it also added the lkml.kernel.org
> "http://lkml.kernel.org/r/CA+55aFxb3NT3_04ZLKiCFrtTXSdi4bfQFf0HJviRRYPTW4ymXA@mail.gmail.com"?
>
> I often use the permalink to cite an email in bugzilla reports,
> changelogs, other conversations, etc., and I currently dig out the
> message-ID and construct the link by hand, so having the link directly
> in the footer would be handy for me. Would anybody else find this
> useful?
>
> Bjorn

+1
It would be awesome and very useful to me. I often look for lkml link
for messages.

-- Shuah

Shuah Khan, Linux Kernel Developer - Open Source Group Samsung Research
America (Silicon Valley) [email protected] | (970) 672-0658

2013-08-02 21:38:24

by H. Peter Anvin

On 08/02/2013 02:36 PM, Shuah Khan wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <[email protected]> wrote:
>> vger already adds a "to unsubscribe from this list" footer to messages
>> to LKML and other lists. What if it also added the lkml.kernel.org
>> "http://lkml.kernel.org/r/CA+55aFxb3NT3_04ZLKiCFrtTXSdi4bfQFf0HJviRRYPTW4ymXA@mail.gmail.com"?
>>
>> I often use the permalink to cite an email in bugzilla reports,
>> changelogs, other conversations, etc., and I currently dig out the
>> message-ID and construct the link by hand, so having the link directly
>> in the footer would be handy for me. Would anybody else find this
>> useful?
>>
>> Bjorn
>
> +1
> It would be awesome and very useful to me. I often look for lkml link
> for messages.

The above link is also a good example of subtleness: + in a URL means a
space character, it has to be escaped as %2B. Particularly a problem in
gmail message-ids.

-hpa

2013-08-06 21:11:29

by Bjorn Helgaas

[+cc vger postmaster]

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 3:38 PM, H. Peter Anvin <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 08/02/2013 02:36 PM, Shuah Khan wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Bjorn Helgaas <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> vger already adds a "to unsubscribe from this list" footer to messages
>>> to LKML and other lists. What if it also added the lkml.kernel.org
>>> "http://lkml.kernel.org/r/CA+55aFxb3NT3_04ZLKiCFrtTXSdi4bfQFf0HJviRRYPTW4ymXA@mail.gmail.com"?
>>>
>>> I often use the permalink to cite an email in bugzilla reports,
>>> changelogs, other conversations, etc., and I currently dig out the
>>> message-ID and construct the link by hand, so having the link directly
>>> in the footer would be handy for me. Would anybody else find this
>>> useful?
>>>
>>> Bjorn
>>
>> +1
>> It would be awesome and very useful to me. I often look for lkml link
>> for messages.
>>

> The above link is also a good example of subtleness: + in a URL means a
> space character, it has to be escaped as %2B. Particularly a problem in
> gmail message-ids.

Ooh, thanks. I wasn't aware of that, and I've certainly constructed
links that are semi-broken because of this issue. Having the

I don't know what it would take to implement this. Escaping special
characters makes it not quite as trivial as I thought it might be.

Bjorn

2013-08-06 21:16:12

by H. Peter Anvin

On 08/06/2013 02:11 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> I don't know what it would take to implement this. Escaping special
> characters makes it not quite as trivial as I thought it might be.

It depends mostly on what machinery is available on vger.

-hpa

2013-08-06 21:23:45

by H. Peter Anvin

On 08/06/2013 02:11 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

>> The above link is also a good example of subtleness: + in a URL means a
>> space character, it has to be escaped as %2B. Particularly a problem in
>> gmail message-ids.
>
> Ooh, thanks. I wasn't aware of that, and I've certainly constructed
> links that are semi-broken because of this issue. Having the
>
> I don't know what it would take to implement this. Escaping special
> characters makes it not quite as trivial as I thought it might be.

Part of me wonders if we could/should make the bouncer recognize that a
space character is not a valid part of a Message-ID (I think) and change
it back into a +.

A quoted Message-ID might be weird as heck, but one rarely if ever see
them, I don't know if they are even legal.

-hpa

2013-08-06 22:05:27

by Anders Larsen

On 2013-08-06 23:23, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 02:11 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> >>
> >> The above link is also a good example of subtleness: + in a URL
> means a
> >> space character, it has to be escaped as %2B. Particularly a
> problem in
> >> gmail message-ids.

the link in question works just fine without escaping the +; the + only
has to be escaped in then query component of a URL, not in the path
component where it is just another valid character - and the link in
question did not contain any query component.

(see RFC 3986 sections 3.3 and 3.4)

> A quoted Message-ID might be weird as heck, but one rarely if ever see
> them, I don't know if they are even legal.

I don't think they are even possible, as the percent-sign is just
another
valid character in a Message-ID - but so is the '+' sign, so it seems
you're trying to solve a non-existent problem...

(see RFC 5322 section 3.2.3)

Cheers
Anders

2013-08-06 23:06:21

by H. Peter Anvin

On 08/06/2013 02:55 PM, Anders Larsen wrote:

>> means a
>> problem in
>
> the link in question works just fine without escaping the +; the + only
> has to be escaped in then query component of a URL, not in the path
> component where it is just another valid character - and the link in
> question did not contain any query component.
>
> (see RFC 3986 sections 3.3 and 3.4)

Well, the backend does unescape, so regardless of what is legal by URL
syntax, the current implementation and therefore existing link tags
expect it to be escaped (this is a consequence of the bouncer turning
the link into a query URL in a redirect.) So they will need to be
escaped no matter what RFC 3986 says. Consider a part of the
specification for lkml.kernel.org links.

That being said, we could definitely choose to interpret + as a + rather
than space. I don't know if we can easily distinguish between "%20",
"+" and " ", though, without dramatically change the implementation.

>> A quoted Message-ID might be weird as heck, but one rarely if ever see
>> them, I don't know if they are even legal.
>
> I don't think they are even possible, as the percent-sign is just another
> valid character in a Message-ID - but so is the '+' sign, so it seems
> you're trying to solve a non-existent problem...
>
> (see RFC 5322 section 3.2.3)

I'm referring to message-id's with a obs-id-left production.

-hpa

2013-08-06 23:15:41

by Joe Perches

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 16:05 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 02:55 PM, Anders Larsen wrote:

> >> means a
> >> problem in
> >
> > the link in question works just fine without escaping the +; the + only
> > has to be escaped in then query component of a URL, not in the path
> > component where it is just another valid character - and the link in
> > question did not contain any query component.
> >
> > (see RFC 3986 sections 3.3 and 3.4)

Rather than relying on third party links,
it'd be nice if vger was the archive too.

2013-08-07 03:40:48

by H. Peter Anvin

On 08/06/2013 04:15 PM, Joe Perches wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 16:05 -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>>> the link in question works just fine without escaping the +; the + only
>>> has to be escaped in then query component of a URL, not in the path
>>> component where it is just another valid character - and the link in
>>> question did not contain any query component.
>>>
>>> (see RFC 3986 sections 3.3 and 3.4)
>
> Rather than relying on third party links,
> it'd be nice if vger was the archive too.

We probably should archive the contents, but it really doesn't seem to
matter if we outsource displaying it, does it?

-hpa

2013-08-07 03:44:55

by Joe Perches