2002-10-17 00:50:41

by David Miller

Subject: non-modversions GPLONLY_

If we export the symbol as GPLONLY_dequeue_signal (for example), yet
don't use modversions to mangle the GPLONLY_ prefix to the symbol for
what code actually uses to access the symbol, what makes this work?

Is there some magic in newer versions of modutils which does
this transparently? :-)

2002-10-17 12:42:30

by Keith Owens

Subject: Re: non-modversions GPLONLY_

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 17:49:18 -0700 (PDT),
"David S. Miller" <[email protected]> wrote:
>If we export the symbol as GPLONLY_dequeue_signal (for example), yet
>don't use modversions to mangle the GPLONLY_ prefix to the symbol for
>what code actually uses to access the symbol, what makes this work?
>
>Is there some magic in newer versions of modutils which does
>this transparently? :-)

modutils 2.4.10 added support for GPLONLY_ symbols, with fixes though
2.4.14 (2001-10-0 to 2002-02-27). insmod strips the leading "GPLONLY_"
when loading a symbol into the hash table iff the module being loaded
has a GPL license.