2000-12-10 06:34:56

by Steven Walter

Subject: Freeze and reboot with 2.4.0-test12-pre5

Several times now, at seemingly random intervals, my computer has frozen
solid. The computer was not under high load--XMMS playing and my typing
an email in mutt. X was frozen, the soundcard played the same sound
repeatedly, and ctrl+alt+del did nothing. SysRq, however, caused the
computer to reboot. Not just SysRq+b, but also SysRq+s. This has
happened at least 3 times. The system is a AMD-K6/2 500MHz Model 8,
Steeping 12, kernel 2.4.0-test12-pre5+reiserfs, running XFree86 4.0.1

No other useful debug information could be obtained.
--
-Steven
"Voters decide nothing. Vote counters decide everything."

2000-12-10 07:06:30

by Victor J. Orlikowski

Subject: Re: Freeze and reboot with 2.4.0-test12-pre5

Steven,

One question:
Do you have MTRR enabled?
If so, a temporary workaround is to re-compile the kernel with
it disabled.

This is getting to be something of an epidemic.
As I said, AMD's docs state that the write-combining was
altered in the model and stepping stated. However, I would not
consider myself *nearly* experienced enough in x86 assembler to start
playing around with trying to work up a patch.

Victor
--
Victor J. Orlikowski
======================

by Steven Walter

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 01:35:26AM -0500, Victor J. Orlikowski wrote:
> Steven,
>
> One question:
> Do you have MTRR enabled?
> If so, a temporary workaround is to re-compile the kernel with
> it disabled.

To confirm, yes, I do have MTRR's enabled. I'll see if that fixes it...
it hasn't happened in the past (checks uptime) 1 day and 9 hours, so

Out of curiosity, has someone found a reliable way of reproducing this?