2001-02-09 19:19:21

by Mario Vanoni

Subject: 2.2.19pre9 Kernel panic aic7xxx

1st correction in drivers/scsi/hosts.c (Shane Wegner),
see lkml, otherwise does not compile.

Hand written, may not be 100% correct:
Detected CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
(scsi1) BRKADRINT error (0x4):
Illegal Opcode in sequencer program
(scsi1) SEQADDR=0x58
Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT

In interrupt handler - not syncing

The machine waits "ad infinitum".

Software: base SuSE 6.4, glib-2.1.3, gcc-2.95.3.test3.
Two little changes in kernel:
drivers/net/3c59x.c: static in options[MAX_UNITS];
(needed for connect eth0 RG58-U, from Andrea Arcangeli)
and
include/linux/sched.h: #define _STK_LIM (64*1024*1024)
(from SuSE sdb to increment users files max size).
Kernel compiled _without_ modules!

Hardware: SMP Dual PIII550 1024MB memory, rest see attach,
/var/log/boot.msg describes all HW in pure Linux jargon.
Kernel 2.2.19pre7aa1 running since 10-Jan-2001, no problems.

CC if needed, not in lkml

Regards
Mario

Attachments:
boot.msg (9.87 kB)

2001-02-09 21:42:40

by Doug Ledford

Subject: Re: 2.2.19pre9 Kernel panic aic7xxx

Mario Vanoni wrote:

> 1st correction in drivers/scsi/hosts.c (Shane Wegner),
> see lkml, otherwise does not compile.
>
> Hand written, may not be 100% correct:
> Detected CD-ROM sr1 at scsi0, channel 0, id 5, lun 0
> (scsi1) BRKADRINT error (0x4):
> Illegal Opcode in sequencer program
> (scsi1) SEQADDR=0x58
> Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT
>
> In interrupt handler - not syncing
>
> The machine waits "ad infinitum".

The latest patch I sent Alan had both the hosts.c fix and some other fixes, so
I'm thinking it hasn't made it into his 2.2.19pre9 kernel. The next one
should work fine as far as aic7xxx is concerned.

--

Doug Ledford <[email protected]> http://people.redhat.com/dledford
Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before

2001-02-12 13:07:44

by Carlos Carvalho

Doug Ledford ([email protected]) wrote on 9 February 2001 16:41:
>The latest patch I sent Alan had both the hosts.c fix and some other fixes, so
>I'm thinking it hasn't made it into his 2.2.19pre9 kernel. The next one
>should work fine as far as aic7xxx is concerned.

I think you should post your patch here, because pre9 is unusable
without it. Well, at least for me, but this is the first time in
almost 9 years that this happens. I have fairly standard 7890, in
2940, 2940UW adaptecs. If it doesn't work for me, it's likely to not
work for many others. Since pre9 is urgent because of the security
patches, it'd be good to upgrade as soon as possible.

Another alternative is that Alan posts the security part separately.
Or that he releases pre10, including all Trond's fixes for nfs as
well :-) :-)

2001-02-13 03:25:04

by Doug Ledford

Carlos Carvalho wrote:

> Doug Ledford ([email protected]) wrote on 9 February 2001 16:41:
> >The latest patch I sent Alan had both the hosts.c fix and some other fixes, so
> >I'm thinking it hasn't made it into his 2.2.19pre9 kernel. The next one
> >should work fine as far as aic7xxx is concerned.
>
> I think you should post your patch here, because pre9 is unusable
> without it. Well, at least for me, but this is the first time in
> almost 9 years that this happens. I have fairly standard 7890, in
> 2940, 2940UW adaptecs. If it doesn't work for me, it's likely to not
> work for many others. Since pre9 is urgent because of the security
> patches, it'd be good to upgrade as soon as possible.
>
> Another alternative is that Alan posts the security part separately.
> Or that he releases pre10, including all Trond's fixes for nfs as
> well :-) :-)

The patches needed to get the aic7xxx driver working with 2.2.19-pre9 are now
up on my web page (see my sig).