2018-01-09 21:01:28

by Tony Lindgren

Subject: NFSroot regression in next with handle inode->i_version

Hi all,

Commit 4b5bd6a8e7cf ("fs: handle inode->i_version more efficiently")
causes NFSroot to not boot to login in Linux next on my ARM boxes.

Also the attempted boot seems really slow, so the reason for not
reaching login might be not being able to kick the watchdog as
I'm seeing spontaneous reboots.

Reverting the patch makes things work again, any ideas?

Can you guys please revert this in next while this is being
investigated?

Regards,

Tony

2018-01-09 21:12:09

by Jeff Layton

On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 13:01 -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Commit 4b5bd6a8e7cf ("fs: handle inode->i_version more efficiently")
> causes NFSroot to not boot to login in Linux next on my ARM boxes.
>
> Also the attempted boot seems really slow, so the reason for not
> reaching login might be not being able to kick the watchdog as
> I'm seeing spontaneous reboots.
>
> Reverting the patch makes things work again, any ideas?
>
> Can you guys please revert this in next while this is being
> investigated?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony

Hi Tony,

Krzysztof Kozlowski reported this late last week, and I just pushed an
updated branch earlier this morning that should fix this. It looks like
the current linux-next HEAD has the fixed patchset now too. Let me know
if that doesn't help you.

Jeff Layton <[email protected]>

2018-01-09 21:21:52

by Tony Lindgren

* Jeff Layton <[email protected]> [180109 21:14]:
> On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 13:01 -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> > Commit 4b5bd6a8e7cf ("fs: handle inode->i_version more efficiently")
> > causes NFSroot to not boot to login in Linux next on my ARM boxes.

> Krzysztof Kozlowski reported this late last week, and I just pushed an
> updated branch earlier this morning that should fix this. It looks like
> the current linux-next HEAD has the fixed patchset now too. Let me know
> if that doesn't help you.

OK great, thanks for the update. I'll test again tomorrow and will
whine again if I'm seeing issues :)

Regards,

Tony

2018-01-10 11:00:11

by Keerthy

On Wednesday 10 January 2018 02:51 AM, Tony Lindgren wrote:
> * Jeff Layton <[email protected]> [180109 21:14]:
>> On Tue, 2018-01-09 at 13:01 -0800, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>>> Commit 4b5bd6a8e7cf ("fs: handle inode->i_version more efficiently")
>>> causes NFSroot to not boot to login in Linux next on my ARM boxes.
>
>> Krzysztof Kozlowski reported this late last week, and I just pushed an
>> updated branch earlier this morning that should fix this. It looks like
>> the current linux-next HEAD has the fixed patchset now too. Let me know
>> if that doesn't help you.
>
> OK great, thanks for the update. I'll test again tomorrow and will
> whine again if I'm seeing issues :)

This fixes nfs boot for me on dra7-evm.

Regards,
Keerthy