2002-11-19 09:35:56

by Peter Chubb

Subject: rpc.mountd problem in 2.5.48

Hi,
After installing 2.5.48, I see lots and lots of messages like these:
Nov 19 20:17:24 wombat rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from xterm.chubb.wattle.id.au:916 for /usr/local/xenginenew/fonts/misc (/usr)
Nov 19 20:17:24 wombat rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted

These weren't there in 2.5.44. What's changed?
xterm uses version 2 NFS; /etc/exports says:
..
/usr *.chubb.wattle.id.au(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
..
/usr is ext2:
$ mount
/dev/sda5 on /usr type ext2 (rw)

If I add the `insecure' option things work again; but this didn't used
to be necessary. And the log shows it coming in on port 916, anyway.

Peter C

2002-11-19 22:44:48

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: rpc.mountd problem in 2.5.48

On Tuesday November 19, [email protected] wrote:

> Hi,
> After installing 2.5.48, I see lots and lots of messages like these:
> Nov 19 20:17:24 wombat rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from xterm.chubb.wattle.id.au:916 for /usr/local/xenginenew/fonts/misc (/usr)
> Nov 19 20:17:24 wombat rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted
>
> These weren't there in 2.5.44. What's changed?

Lots of stuff.... but nothing that I can connect this to.
Also, I cannot reproduce it.

> xterm uses version 2 NFS; /etc/exports says:
> ..
> /usr *.chubb.wattle.id.au(rw,sync,no_root_squash)
> ..
> /usr is ext2:
> $ mount
> /dev/sda5 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
>

> If I add the `insecure' option things work again; but this didn't used
> to be necessary. And the log shows it coming in on port 916,
> anyway.

I suspec that adding 'insecure' did not fix the problem, but rather it
was trying again that fixed the problem.

Does /etc/exports have any exports to IP address rather than hostname?
Which version of nfs-utils are you using?

NeilBrown

2002-11-19 23:22:43

by Peter Chubb

Neil> On Tuesday November 19, [email protected] wrote:
>> Hi, After installing 2.5.48, I see lots and lots of messages like
>> these: Nov 19 20:17:24 wombat rpc.mountd: authenticated mount
>> request from xterm.chubb.wattle.id.au:916 for
>> /usr/local/xenginenew/fonts/misc (/usr) Nov 19 20:17:24 wombat
>> rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted
>>
>> These weren't there in 2.5.44. What's changed?

Neil> Lots of stuff.... but nothing that I can connect this to. Also,
Neil> I cannot reproduce it.

>> xterm uses version 2 NFS; /etc/exports says: .. /usr
>> *.chubb.wattle.id.au(rw,sync,no_root_squash) .. /usr is ext2: $
>> mount /dev/sda5 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
>>

>> If I add the `insecure' option things work again; but this didn't
>> used to be necessary. And the log shows it coming in on port 916,
>> anyway.

Neil> I suspec that adding 'insecure' did not fix the problem, but
Neil> rather it was trying again that fixed the problem.

Removing `insecure' and doing exportfs -r -a brings the problem back
again.

Neil> Does /etc/exports have any exports to IP address rather than
Neil> hostname? Which version of nfs-utils are you using?

No. All the /etc/exports lines are in terms of *.chubb.wattle.id.au

I'm using the debian-packaged version 1.0.2-1 nfs-utils (which has
no patches over the source version).

There are correct forward and reverse entries for xterm in the DNS:

: wombat ; host xterm
xterm.chubb.wattle.id.au A 192.168.77.5

: wombat ; host 192.168.77.5
Name: xterm.chubb.wattle.id.au
Address: 192.168.77.5

It's only with xterm (which is a labtam/tektronix xterminal) that I
have a problem; other linux machines are fine.

Peter C

2002-11-20 04:08:21

by NeilBrown

On Wednesday November 20, [email protected] wrote:

> Neil> I suspec that adding 'insecure' did not fix the problem, but
> Neil> rather it was trying again that fixed the problem.
>
> Removing `insecure' and doing exportfs -r -a brings the problem back
> again.

Extremely odd as the presence or absense of 'insecure' cannot (as far
as I can see) affect any of the messages that you are seeing.

Could you please:
take a copy of /proc/fs/nfs/exports
run strace on mountd
try to boot the xterminal and have it fail
and show me the results?

Thanks
NeilBrown

2002-11-20 06:32:45

Neil> On Wednesday November 20, [email protected] wrote:

Neil> I suspec that adding 'insecure' did not fix the problem, but
Neil> rather it was trying again that fixed the problem.
>> Removing `insecure' and doing exportfs -r -a brings the problem
>> back again.

Neil> Extremely odd as the presence or absense of 'insecure' cannot
Neil> (as far as I can see) affect any of the messages that you are
Neil> seeing.

Even stranger is that I can now no longer reproduce the problem.
Grrrrr.

Peter c