2015-04-24 10:51:39

by Chris Ward

Subject: Linux device driver for USB WIFI needs integrating

There is a Linux driver here
http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBN10_NANO/HelpDesk_download/ that needs
integrating into the 'kernel.org' source. Please can you pass this to
whoever should do this.

Do we need formal permission from ASUS, or do we just take it ?

Please cc: me on any replies as I am not subscribed to the LKML.

Thanks !

Chris Ward

--
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Ward16
Portfolio: http://tjcw.freeshell.org/Portfolio/

Disclaimer: I work for IBM, but I do not represent IBM. Any opinions
expressed in this email are personal and don’t necessarily represent my
employer’s positions, strategies or opinions.

2015-04-24 11:20:29

by Anders Larsen

On 2015-04-24 12:37, Chris Ward wrote:
> There is a Linux driver here
> http://www.asus.com/Networking/USBN10_NANO/HelpDesk_download/ that
> needs
> integrating into the 'kernel.org' source.

Isn't that device supported by the in-tree RTL8192CU/RTL8188CU driver?
(CONFIG_RTL8192CU, drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu/)

If it isn't, it should only be a matter of adding the USB Id of the
ASUS device.

> Do we need formal permission from ASUS, or do we just take it ?

AFAICT the archive ASUS has made available contains a driver authored
by RealTek, so that would be where to ask.

The source files contains a statement that they are covered by GPLv2,
so formally you would not have to ask - although I'd consider it in
good taste to do so.

Cheers
Anders-

2015-04-24 11:43:15

by Chris Ward

I just got a trap when booting the current OpenSUSE kernel (in the
insmod), so something is not right. 3.16.7-21 , I think
--

Disclaimer: I work for IBM, but I do not represent IBM. Any opinions
expressed in this email are personal and don’t necessarily represent my
employer’s positions, strategies or opinions.

2015-04-24 11:45:36

by Chris Ward

(this was having installed the ASUS driver and plugged my WIFI card in)

Chris.
--

Disclaimer: I work for IBM, but I do not represent IBM. Any opinions
expressed in this email are personal and don’t necessarily represent my
employer’s positions, strategies or opinions.

2015-04-24 11:59:52

by Chris Ward

lsusb shows
Bus 003 Device 024: ID 0b05:17ba ASUSTek Computer, Inc.

I've just built the OpenSUSE kernel from source, it has that CONFIG=m .
I think ASUS have changed the chip set.

Do we have to wait for ASUS to debug their driver ? Supposedly it worked
with an older kernel (up to 3.10 I think)

Chris Ward
--
Disclaimer: I work for IBM, but I do not represent IBM. Any opinions
expressed in this email are personal and don’t necessarily represent my
employer’s positions, strategies or opinions.

2015-04-24 12:25:49

by Anders Larsen

On 2015-04-24 13:59, Chris Ward wrote:
> lsusb shows
> Bus 003 Device 024: ID 0b05:17ba ASUSTek Computer, Inc.

OK, thanks

> I've just built the OpenSUSE kernel from source, it has that CONFIG=m
> .
> I think ASUS have changed the chip set.

only the USB id AFAICT - 0b05:17ab is supported

> Do we have to wait for ASUS to debug their driver ? Supposedly it
> worked
> with an older kernel (up to 3.10 I think)

does the attached trivial patch help?
(it should make the in-tree driver recognise your ASUS device)

Cheers
Anders

Attachments:
(No filename) (533.00 B)
0001-rtlwifi-rtl8192cu-Add-USB-id-for-ASUS-USB-N10-NANO.patch (1.20 kB)

by Anders Larsen

On 2015-04-24 14:25, Anders Larsen wrote:
> On 2015-04-24 13:59, Chris Ward wrote:
>> lsusb shows
>> Bus 003 Device 024: ID 0b05:17ba ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
>
> does the attached trivial patch help?
> (it should make the in-tree driver recognise your ASUS device)

I just realised that the above USB id was already added to the
in-tree driver - it should appear the next Kernel release.
(commit 9374e7d2fdcad3c36dafc8d3effd554bc702c4b6 in Linus' tree)

If my patch (which does exactly the same as the above) works for you
we can ask for that commit to be added to the stable kernels, so please
let us know how you proceed.

Cheers
Anders-

2015-04-24 17:33:04

by Chris Ward

No, with the patch the device isn't recognised at boot time.

Chris
--
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Ward16
Portfolio: http://tjcw.freeshell.org/Portfolio/

Disclaimer: I work for IBM, but I do not represent IBM. Any opinions
expressed in this email are personal and don’t necessarily represent my
employer’s positions, strategies or opinions.

2015-04-26 14:04:38

by Anders Larsen

On 2015-04-24 19:31, Chris Ward wrote:
> No, with the patch the device isn't recognised at boot time.

Strange.

Does the module 'rtl8192cu' get loaded automatically (check with
'lsmod')?
What happens if you wait until the system is booted, then plug the
device?

Could you put your '.config' and the output from 'dmesg' and 'lsusb -v'
(with the device plugged in) on a server somewhere and post a link here?
(If not, send me the files in a private mail, then I'll post the
relevant parts on the list)

Cheers
Anders

2015-04-27 08:39:59

by Chris Ward

I have put the requested files in http://tjcw.freeshell.org/usbn10/ . The
ones with 'after' in the name are with the device plugged in at boot.
There is also a Belkin WiFi adapter plugged in , because I need networking
active in order to write this email.

Cheers !

Chris Ward
--
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Ward16
Portfolio: http://tjcw.freeshell.org/Portfolio/

Disclaimer: I work for IBM, but I do not represent IBM. Any opinions
expressed in this email are personal and don’t necessarily represent my
employer’s positions, strategies or opinions.

2015-04-27 12:51:49

by Anders Larsen

On 2015-04-27 10:38, Chris Ward wrote:
> I have put the requested files in http://tjcw.freeshell.org/usbn10/ .
> The
> ones with 'after' in the name are with the device plugged in at boot.

well, .config contains
> CONFIG_RTL8192CU=m
so the driver is built.

and dmesg contains
> usb 3-2: new high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
> usb 3-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0b05, idProduct=17ba
> usb 3-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> usb 3-2: Product: 802.11n WLAN Adapter
> usb 3-2: Manufacturer: Realtek
> usb 3-2: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
so the device is recognised (at USB level).

The module 'rtl8192cu.ko' isn't loaded as expected, however.

Perhaps it wasn't installed correctly - the USB id should have an entry
in /lib/modules/3.16.7-21/modules.alias of the form 'alias
usb:v0B05p17BAd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in* rtl8192cu'
('grep usb:v0B05p17BA /lib/modules/*/modules.alias' should show it)

If the entry is missing, it must appear after the alias file is
regenerated (with 'depmod -a').

If it's there, but the module is still not loaded when you plug the
device, please try to load it manually (with 'modprobe -v rtl8192cu
debug=5') and check dmesg again.

Cheers
Anders

2015-04-27 13:57:11

by Chris Ward

'dempod' doesn't makethe module appear:

tjcw@linux-7ke7:~> grep usb:v0B05p17BA /lib/modules/*/modules.alias
tjcw@linux-7ke7:~> su
Password:
linux-7ke7:/home/tjcw # depmod -a
linux-7ke7:/home/tjcw # exit
tjcw@linux-7ke7:~> grep usb:v0B05p17BA /lib/modules/*/modules.alias
tjcw@linux-7ke7:~>

--
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Ward16
Portfolio: http://tjcw.freeshell.org/Portfolio/

Disclaimer: I work for IBM, but I do not represent IBM. Any opinions
expressed in this email are personal and don’t necessarily represent my
employer’s positions, strategies or opinions.

2015-04-27 14:02:59

by Chris Ward

There is this
alias usb:v0B05p17ABd*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*in* rtl8192cu

is there a typo in the patch file you posted ?

--
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Ward16
Portfolio: http://tjcw.freeshell.org/Portfolio/

Disclaimer: I work for IBM, but I do not represent IBM. Any opinions
expressed in this email are personal and don’t necessarily represent my
employer’s positions, strategies or opinions.

2015-04-27 14:07:30

by Chris Ward

Looks like your patch wasn't installed. I have patched the sw.c file and
am rebuilding

Chris.
--
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Ward16
Portfolio: http://tjcw.freeshell.org/Portfolio/

Disclaimer: I work for IBM, but I do not represent IBM. Any opinions
expressed in this email are personal and don’t necessarily represent my
employer’s positions, strategies or opinions.

2015-04-27 14:24:15

by Chris Ward

With the patch actually applied, the WiFi adapter is recognised and works,
both on boot and if the adapter is plugged in later. So, all is well.

What mainline kernel level will contain the patch ?

Thanks !

Chris Ward.

--
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Thomas_Ward16
Portfolio: http://tjcw.freeshell.org/Portfolio/

Disclaimer: I work for IBM, but I do not represent IBM. Any opinions
expressed in this email are personal and don’t necessarily represent my
employer’s positions, strategies or opinions.

2015-04-27 14:49:19

by Anders Larsen

On 2015-04-27 16:23, Chris Ward wrote:
> With the patch actually applied, the WiFi adapter is recognised and
> works,
> both on boot and if the adapter is plugged in later. So, all is well.

glad to hear that - and thanks for testing!

> What mainline kernel level will contain the patch ?

Marek (CC'ed) added the USB ID some 4 weeks ago, so it's scheduled for
the upcoming 4.1

@Marek: can we get your commit 9374e7d2 added to the stable kernels,
please?
(the full discussion with Chris is archived here:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/4/24/156)

Cheers
Anders

2015-04-27 16:20:02

by Marek Vasut

On Monday, April 27, 2015 at 04:49:09 PM, Anders Larsen wrote:
> On 2015-04-27 16:23, Chris Ward wrote:
> > With the patch actually applied, the WiFi adapter is recognised and
> > works,
> > both on boot and if the adapter is plugged in later. So, all is well.
>
> glad to hear that - and thanks for testing!
>
> > What mainline kernel level will contain the patch ?
>
> Marek (CC'ed) added the USB ID some 4 weeks ago, so it's scheduled for
> the upcoming 4.1
>
> @Marek: can we get your commit 9374e7d2 added to the stable kernels,
> please?
> (the full discussion with Chris is archived here:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/4/24/156)

Feel free to apply for stable. I also tested the patch on Linux 3.10.5x
so it ought to work all the way back to at least 3.10.

Best regards,
Marek Vasut

2015-05-03 19:41:31

by Anders Larsen

On Monday, 27. April 2015 16:49:09 Anders Larsen wrote:
> On 2015-04-27 16:23, Chris Ward wrote:
> > What mainline kernel level will contain the patch ?
>
> Marek (CC'ed) added the USB ID some 4 weeks ago, so it's scheduled for
> the upcoming 4.1

FYI yesterday Marek's patch was accepted into the stable queues (3.10.x,
3.14.x, 3.19.x and 4.0.x), so it will probably hit most distros in the next
few weeks.

Cheers
Anders