2003-06-26 10:46:52

by Peter Chubb

Subject: Kernel patch release checklist available

After being burnt a few times in forgetting something that I should
have done when releasing a patch against the kernel, I've created a
Kernel Patch Release Checklist at

http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/IA64wiki/PatchReleaseChecklist

If you want to you can add new stuff I haven't thought of to this
list: but you need to register on the Wiki to do so.

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
You are lost in a maze of BitKeeper repositories, all slightly different.

2003-06-26 13:21:01

by Willy Tarreau

Subject: Re: Kernel patch release checklist available

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:01:02PM +1000, Peter Chubb wrote:

> After being burnt a few times in forgetting something that I should
> have done when releasing a patch against the kernel, I've created a
> Kernel Patch Release Checklist at
>
> http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/IA64wiki/PatchReleaseChecklist

Good idea. I think this should go into the Documentation directory.
I would personnaly add :
- "1.4.3 have you described side-effects you're aware of, or incompatibilities
or breakage of other patches ?"
- "1.5.2. Have you checked that your patch still applies without fuzz on latest
dev kernel ?" (which is not implied nor excused by 1.4.2).

Cheers,
Willy

2003-06-26 19:10:49

by David Mosberger

Peter> After being burnt a few times in forgetting something that I
Peter> should have done when releasing a patch against the kernel,
Peter> I've created a Kernel Patch Release Checklist at

Peter> http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/IA64wiki/PatchReleaseChecklist

Peter> If you want to you can add new stuff I haven't thought of to
Peter> this list: but you need to register on the Wiki to do so.

Good stuff!

You might also want to mention that the patch should apply with "patch
-p1".

--david