2003-06-26 15:15:37

by Robert L. Harris

Subject: inode problem?

I have a system at work that seems to have an ext3 filesystem made
with -T largefile when it really shouldn't have and is running low on
inodes. A co-worker has mentioned that reiserfs doesn't have inode
problems. I tried to look this up but am having problems
verifying/denying this:

{0}:Documentation>host http://www.reiserfs.org
http://www.reiserfs.org does not exist, try again

Whois also doesn't return anything. Anyone have any proof either way
and news on the current stability of reiserfs in the 2.4.21 tree?

Robert

:wq!
Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
@ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
DISCLAIMER:
These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.

Diagnosis: witzelsucht

IPv6 = [email protected] http://ipv6.rdlg.net
IPv4 = [email protected] http://www.rdlg.net

Attachments:
(No filename) (929.00 B)
(No filename) (189.00 B)

by Nikita Danilov

Subject: Re: inode problem?

Robert L. Harris writes:

> I have a system at work that seems to have an ext3 filesystem made
> with -T largefile when it really shouldn't have and is running low on
> inodes. A co-worker has mentioned that reiserfs doesn't have inode
> problems. I tried to look this up but am having problems
> verifying/denying this:
>
> {0}:Documentation>host http://www.reiserfs.org
> http://www.reiserfs.org does not exist, try again

$ host http://www.reiserfs.org
http://www.reiserfs.org has address 212.16.7.65

(you can also use namesys.com)

> Whois also doesn't return anything. Anyone have any proof either way
> and news on the current stability of reiserfs in the 2.4.21 tree?

It exists and is stable.

> Robert

Nikita.

2003-06-26 16:12:31

by Hans Reiser

Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I have a system at work that seems to have an ext3 filesystem made
>with -T largefile when it really shouldn't have and is running low on
>inodes. A co-worker has mentioned that reiserfs doesn't have inode
>problems. I tried to look this up but am having problems
>verifying/denying this:
>
>{0}:Documentation>host http://www.reiserfs.org
>http://www.reiserfs.org does not exist, try again
>
>Whois also doesn't return anything. Anyone have any proof either way
>and news on the current stability of reiserfs in the 2.4.21 tree?
>
>Robert
>

>:wq!
>Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
> @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
>DISCLAIMER:
> These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.
>
>Diagnosis: witzelsucht
>
>IPv6 = [email protected] http://ipv6.rdlg.net
>IPv4 = [email protected] http://www.rdlg.net

inodes are yucky yucky.;-) We ain't got none.

--
Hans

2003-06-26 16:12:47

by Hans Reiser

Try http://www.namesys.com

Robert L. Harris wrote:

> I have a system at work that seems to have an ext3 filesystem made
>with -T largefile when it really shouldn't have and is running low on
>inodes. A co-worker has mentioned that reiserfs doesn't have inode
>problems. I tried to look this up but am having problems
>verifying/denying this:
>
>{0}:Documentation>host http://www.reiserfs.org
>http://www.reiserfs.org does not exist, try again
>
>Whois also doesn't return anything. Anyone have any proof either way
>and news on the current stability of reiserfs in the 2.4.21 tree?
>
>Robert
>

>:wq!
>Robert L. Harris | GPG Key ID: E344DA3B
> @ x-hkp://pgp.mit.edu
>DISCLAIMER:
> These are MY OPINIONS ALONE. I speak for no-one else.
>
>Diagnosis: witzelsucht
>
>IPv6 = [email protected] http://ipv6.rdlg.net
>IPv4 = [email protected] http://www.rdlg.net

--
Hans

2003-06-26 19:59:45

by [email protected]

Hans Reiser wrote:

> inodes are yucky yucky.;-) We ain't got none.

So are birthday problems and hash collisions, but I haven't seen you guys address that little detail yet...

(Speaking only as somebody who lost their /usr/local tree to reiserfs. KEEP BACKUPS, especially if you're using an experimental filesystem.)

--Gordon

2003-06-29 11:07:37

by Hans Reiser

[email protected] wrote:

>Hans Reiser wrote:
>

>>inodes are yucky yucky.;-) We ain't got none.
>>

>So are birthday problems and hash collisions, but I haven't seen you guys address that little detail yet...

V4 handles duplicates, and has a larger hash.

>(Speaking only as somebody who lost their /usr/local tree to reiserfs. KEEP BACKUPS, especially if you're using an experimental filesystem.)

Sorry that happened to you. Were you using a kernel older than 2.4.18?

--
Hans