2003-09-13 10:30:22

by Norbert Preining

Subject: laptop mode for 2.4.23-pre4 and up

Hi Jens, hi list!

Will there be a new incantation of the laptop-mode patch for 2.4.23-pre4
and up, which includes the aa fixes. I tried to patch it in, but the
rejects in sysctl.h weren' solveable trivially.

Thanks a lot for any information and best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universit?t Wien
STEBBING (n.)
The erection you cannot conceal because you're not wearing a jacket.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

2003-09-14 15:28:00

by Jens Axboe

Subject: Re: laptop mode for 2.4.23-pre4 and up

On Sat, Sep 13 2003, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Jens, hi list!
>
> Will there be a new incantation of the laptop-mode patch for 2.4.23-pre4
> and up, which includes the aa fixes. I tried to patch it in, but the
> rejects in sysctl.h weren' solveable trivially.

Sure, I'll done a new patch in the next few days. I don't know what aa
patches you mean though? Are you trying to say that it conflicts with
the -aa series? It should be trivial to fix up, just renumber the
laptop-mode sysctls.

I'll send it to Marcelo too for 2.4.23.

--
Jens Axboe

2003-09-15 09:32:27

by Norbert Preining

On Son, 14 Sep 2003, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > Will there be a new incantation of the laptop-mode patch for 2.4.23-pre4
>
> Sure, I'll done a new patch in the next few days. I don't know what aa
> patches you mean though? Are you trying to say that it conflicts with

The ones included into kernel 2.4.23-pre4 (stuff from -aa kernels).

> the -aa series? It should be trivial to fix up, just renumber the
> laptop-mode sysctls.

Ok, this was what I wanted to know. The rest I can do myself, thanks.

> I'll send it to Marcelo too for 2.4.23.

Good idea!

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universit?t Wien
DORRIDGE (n.)
Technical term for one of the lame excuses written in very small print
on the side of packets of food or washing powder to explain why
there's hardly anything inside. Examples include 'Contents may have
settled in transit' and 'To keep each biscuit fresh they have been
individually wrapped in silver paper and cellophane and separated with
corrugated lining, a cardboard flap, and heavy industrial tyres'.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

2003-09-17 07:54:52

by Jens Axboe

On Mon, Sep 15 2003, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Son, 14 Sep 2003, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > > Will there be a new incantation of the laptop-mode patch for 2.4.23-pre4
> >
> > Sure, I'll done a new patch in the next few days. I don't know what aa
> > patches you mean though? Are you trying to say that it conflicts with
>
> The ones included into kernel 2.4.23-pre4 (stuff from -aa kernels).

Here's a fresh one against current BK, could you please give it a go?

> > I'll send it to Marcelo too for 2.4.23.
>
> Good idea!

Done.

--
Jens Axboe

Attachments:
(No filename) (548.00 B)
laptop-mode-2.4-bk (11.34 kB)

by Norbert Preining

Hi Jens!

On Mit, 17 Sep 2003, Jens Axboe wrote:
> Here's a fresh one against current BK, could you please give it a go?

I patched my 2.4.23-pre4 together with some other patches and this one
and it worked. I am still using the laptop-mode.sh script from your
original posting (echo "30 500 0 0 $AGE $AGE 60 20 0" > /proc/sys/vm/bdflush
for start etc)

> +Laptop mode

[...]

> +desribed above. See the laptop-mode.sh script for how to do that.

Should this script be included in the readme?

Best wishes

Norbert

Norbert Preining <preining AT logic DOT at> Technische Universit?t Wien
JAWCRAIG (n. medical)
A massive facial spasm which is brought on by being told a really
astounding piece of news. A mysterious attack of jawcraig affected
40,000 sheep in Whales in 1952.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

2003-09-17 20:35:11

by Peter Chubb

Jens> On Mon, Sep 15 2003, Norbert Preining wrote:
>> On Son, 14 Sep 2003, Jens Axboe wrote: > > Will there be a new
>> incantation of the laptop-mode patch for 2.4.23-pre4
>> >
>> > Sure, I'll done a new patch in the next few days.

Are you thinking of pushing something like this into 2.6 as well?
I ask, because 2.6 seems to drive the laptop significantly harder than
2.4 anyway --- battery life is lower, the disk light is on more, and the
machine runs hotter.

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
You are lost in a maze of BitKeeper repositories, all slightly different.

2003-09-18 07:31:20

by Jens Axboe

On Thu, Sep 18 2003, Peter Chubb wrote:

> Jens> On Mon, Sep 15 2003, Norbert Preining wrote:
> >> On Son, 14 Sep 2003, Jens Axboe wrote: > > Will there be a new
> >> incantation of the laptop-mode patch for 2.4.23-pre4

> Are you thinking of pushing something like this into 2.6 as well?

Definitely. Andrew had a more invasive version back in 2.5.2x iirc, that
might be a good basis if someone were to look into this before me...

> I ask, because 2.6 seems to drive the laptop significantly harder than
> 2.4 anyway --- battery life is lower, the disk light is on more, and the
> machine runs hotter.

Hmm that sounds a bit strange. I just put 2.6 on my powerbook, haven't
really used it enough yet to notice a difference. I'll keep it in mind,
though.

--
Jens Axboe

2003-09-18 11:36:45

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> +So what does the laptop mode patch do? It attempts to fully utilize the
> +hard drive once it has been spun up, flushing the old dirty data out to
> +disk. Instead of flushing just the expired data, it will clean everything.
> +When a read causes the disk to spin up, we kick off this flushing after
> +a few seconds. This means that once the disk spins down again, everything
> +is up to date. That allows longer dirty data and journal expire times.

Another nice touch would be to sync just before spinning down.
noflushd does that... of course it needs software-controlled
spindowns.

--
Pavel
Written on sharp zaurus, because my Velo1 broke. If you have Velo you don't need...

2003-09-18 13:00:20

by Jens Axboe

On Wed, Sep 17 2003, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > +So what does the laptop mode patch do? It attempts to fully utilize the
> > +hard drive once it has been spun up, flushing the old dirty data out to
> > +disk. Instead of flushing just the expired data, it will clean everything.
> > +When a read causes the disk to spin up, we kick off this flushing after
> > +a few seconds. This means that once the disk spins down again, everything
> > +is up to date. That allows longer dirty data and journal expire times.
>
> Another nice touch would be to sync just before spinning down.
> noflushd does that... of course it needs software-controlled
> spindowns.

Yeah, my automatic acoustic management patch did that, works well in
addition to laptop mode. It's beyond the scope of this patch though,
it's just a vm flushing control.

--
Jens Axboe