2004-03-18 13:06:00

by Felix von Leitner

Subject: Remove kernel features (for embedded systems)

I propose to add the following kernel features to the removables:

* /dev/kmem and /proc/kcore
* core dumping
* ptrace

And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove parts of
the IP stack, e.g. routing. In particular, I would like to be able to
remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from the code size point
of view.

Removing ptrace and kmem is mostly for security reasons, but being able
to remove them makes sense in embedded environments as well.

Felix

2004-03-18 13:09:40

by John Bradford

Subject: Re: Remove kernel features (for embedded systems)

> And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove parts of
> the IP stack, e.g. routing. In particular, I would like to be able to
> remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from the code size point
> of view.

Why not just write your own IP stack in userspace, if you're doing a
heavily embedded system?

John,

2004-03-18 13:29:13

by Felix von Leitner

Thus spake John Bradford ([email protected]):
> > And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove parts of
> > the IP stack, e.g. routing. In particular, I would like to be able to
> > remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from the code size point
> > of view.
> Why not just write your own IP stack in userspace, if you're doing a
> heavily embedded system?

People use Linux _because_ of the IP stack.
They just normally don't need all of it.
And I propose to let them remove the parts they don't need.

Felix

2004-03-18 13:39:29

by Christoph Hellwig

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 02:06:40PM +0100, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> I propose to add the following kernel features to the removables:
>
> * /dev/kmem and /proc/kcore
> * core dumping
> * ptrace
>
> And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove parts of
> the IP stack, e.g. routing. In particular, I would like to be able to
> remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from the code size point
> of view.
>
> Removing ptrace and kmem is mostly for security reasons, but being able
> to remove them makes sense in embedded environments as well.

Fien with me. Where are the patches? :)

2004-03-18 22:17:08

by Peter Chubb

>> And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove
>> parts of the IP stack, e.g. routing. In particular, I would like
>> to be able to remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from
>> the code size point of view.

John> Why not just write your own IP stack in userspace, if you're
John> doing a heavily embedded system?

You mean, like http://www.sics.se/~adam/lwip/ ??

--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*

2004-03-19 19:12:11

by Matt Mackall

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 02:06:40PM +0100, Felix von Leitner wrote:
> I propose to add the following kernel features to the removables:
>
> * /dev/kmem and /proc/kcore
> * core dumping
> * ptrace

These are all in 2.6-tiny already: http://selenic.com/tiny-about/

It's on my list of things to push to mainline.

> And if it is at all possible, I would like to be able to remove parts of
> the IP stack, e.g. routing. In particular, I would like to be able to
> remove policy routing, if it is at all worth it from the code size point
> of view.

I've done small parts of this too.

--
Matt Mackall : http://www.selenic.com : Linux development and consulting