2004-03-26 16:45:14

by Nikita Danilov

Subject: [ANNOUNCE] new reiser4 snapshot released.

Hello,

new reiser4 snapshot against 2.6.5-rc2 is available at

http://www.namesys.com/snapshots/2004.03.26/

It is mainly bug-fixing release. See READ.ME for the list of fixes and
caveats.

Should no significant problems be found in this snapshot, we shall start
sending patches to -mm next week.

Nikita.

2004-03-26 17:24:21

by Jonathan Briggs

Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] new reiser4 snapshot released.

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 09:45, Nikita Danilov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> new reiser4 snapshot against 2.6.5-rc2 is available at
>
> http://www.namesys.com/snapshots/2004.03.26/
>
> It is mainly bug-fixing release. See READ.ME for the list of fixes and
> caveats.

A definition of fibration:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Fibration.html

I'm going to have to study math for about a year before I understand all
that, I think.

It's a good thing we won't have to understand "fiber bundles",
"paracompact topological space" and the "homotopy lifting property" to
USE Reiser4.

*grin*

If I missed the discussion or a web page, I am sorry. But could someone
post a quick explanation or pointer to one about this fibration plugin?
What does it do and what effects will it have?

--
Jonathan Briggs

by Nikita Danilov

Jonathan Briggs writes:
> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 09:45, Nikita Danilov wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > new reiser4 snapshot against 2.6.5-rc2 is available at
> >
> > http://www.namesys.com/snapshots/2004.03.26/
> >
> > It is mainly bug-fixing release. See READ.ME for the list of fixes and
> > caveats.
>
> A definition of fibration:
> http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Fibration.html

Reiser4 plugin was named this was due to some (arguably vague)
similarity with mathematical fibrations.

> I'm going to have to study math for about a year before I understand all
> that, I think.
>
> It's a good thing we won't have to understand "fiber bundles",
> "paracompact topological space" and the "homotopy lifting property" to
> USE Reiser4.
>
> *grin*

Why, of course one has to understand it. Reiser4 refuses to mount unless
supplied with the homotopy group of the tangent bundle of hard drive,
for sure.

> If I missed the discussion or a web page, I am sorry. But could someone
> post a quick explanation or pointer to one about this fibration plugin?
> What does it do and what effects will it have?

Fibration plugin affects how disk blocks are allocated for the files
within the same directory. Basically, in reiser4 all file system data
and meta-data (except for allocator bitmaps) are stored in a single
balanced tree. Every piece of information in the file system (byte of
file data, on-disk inode, directory entry containing file name, etc.)
has a key that allows to locate this information in the tree. This
imposes natural order on all file system data (because keys are just
large integers, and can be compared).

Block allocator tries to allocate blocks in a parent-first tree
order. This means, that things with close keys have chances to be close
to each other on a disk. This leads to the main high-level mechanism
that reiser4 uses to control disk layout: through key assignment.

In particular fibration plugin is called when new name is inserted into
a directory, and, based on a name, selects some (otherwise unused) 7 bits
in a key of directory entry. This allows to "slice" directory content
into "fibers", hence the name.

For example, one possible implementation is to place .o files in one
fiber and all others in another. This significantly speeds compilations
up, because .o files are created close to each other and don't interfere
with sources. Fibrations, and well as other plugins, can be set
per-object, see http://www.namesys.com/v4/pseudo.html for details.

> --
> Jonathan Briggs
> [email protected]

Nikita.

2004-03-26 18:52:11

by Hans Reiser

Subject: Reiser4 needs more testers

We have one NFS related bug remaining, and one mmap all of memory
related bug (and performance issue) that you can hit using iozone. We
will fix both of these in next week's snapshot, they were both multi-day
bug fixes. When they are fixed, unless users/distros find bugs next
week we will submit it for inclusion in the -mm and then the official
kernel.

We hope it is now fairly stable for average users if you avoid those two
issues (we need to get rid of those dire warnings about its
stability...., we will remember that next snapshot....;-) )

We need a lot more real user testers, because we have run out of scripts
that can crash it, and there are distros that would like to ship it
soon. Please also complain to [email protected] and [email protected]
about poor documentation, etc., ....

The new reiser4 snapshot (against 2.6.5-rc2) is available at

http://www.namesys.com/snapshots/2004.03.26/

--
Hans

2004-03-26 18:59:19

by Hans Reiser

Nikita, would you confirm that the default fibration is to sort all
files with '.' as the penultimate character by their last character
first and then by the rest of the name in the usual lexicographic order?
(If that is not the default, then please make it the default.)

Also, please note that the URL you supplied does not yet describe the
fibration plugin and its available settings. Please correct that on Monday.

--
Hans

2004-03-26 19:31:36

by Giovanni A. Orlando

Subject: Re: Reiser4 needs more testers

Hans Reiser wrote:

Hi Hans,

We will test the last snapshot.

Thanks,
Giovanni

> We have one NFS related bug remaining, and one mmap all of memory
> related bug (and performance issue) that you can hit using iozone. We
> will fix both of these in next week's snapshot, they were both
> multi-day bug fixes. When they are fixed, unless users/distros find
> bugs next week we will submit it for inclusion in the -mm and then the
> official kernel.
>
> We hope it is now fairly stable for average users if you avoid those
> two issues (we need to get rid of those dire warnings about its
> stability...., we will remember that next snapshot....;-) )
>
> We need a lot more real user testers, because we have run out of
> scripts that can crash it, and there are distros that would like to
> ship it soon. Please also complain to [email protected] and
> [email protected] about poor documentation, etc., ....
>
> The new reiser4 snapshot (against 2.6.5-rc2) is available at
>
> http://www.namesys.com/snapshots/2004.03.26/

Check FT Websites ...
http://www.futuretg.com - ftp://ftp.futuretg.com
http://www.FTLinuxCourse.com
/Certification
http://www.rpmparadaise.org
http://GNULinuxUtilities.com
http://www.YourPersonalOperatingSystem.com

--

Europe: USA:
Future Technologies Future Technologies

2004-03-27 12:32:49

by Maciej Soltysiak

Subject: [OT] Re[2]: [ANNOUNCE] new reiser4 snapshot released.

ND> Why, of course one has to understand it. Reiser4 refuses to mount unless
ND> supplied with the homotopy group of the tangent bundle of hard drive,
ND> for sure.
Oh man! Is reiser4 a part of some alien or future technology? From what I read
and hear it seems so new, fresh and advanced, it seems _obvious_ :-)
this code has been inspired by aliens or time travellers from the
future. Or maybe it's just me being not so knowledgible as reiser4
gurus.

Regards,
Maciej

2004-03-29 17:04:53

by Mark Wong

I've run through another test on STP with the latest snapshot against
reiser4 and reiserfs for comparison. Reiser4 still seems to be lagging
behind reiserfs in our DBT-2 workload (the bigger number is better in
the metric):

metric url to test results
------ ---------------------------------
reiser4 1208 http://khack.osdl.org/stp/290774/
reiserfs 1819 http://khack.osdl.org/stp/290775/

Mark

On 26 Mar, Hans Reiser wrote:
> We have one NFS related bug remaining, and one mmap all of memory
> related bug (and performance issue) that you can hit using iozone. We
> will fix both of these in next week's snapshot, they were both multi-day
> bug fixes. When they are fixed, unless users/distros find bugs next
> week we will submit it for inclusion in the -mm and then the official
> kernel.
>
> We hope it is now fairly stable for average users if you avoid those two
> issues (we need to get rid of those dire warnings about its
> stability...., we will remember that next snapshot....;-) )
>
> We need a lot more real user testers, because we have run out of scripts
> that can crash it, and there are distros that would like to ship it
> soon. Please also complain to [email protected] and [email protected]
> about poor documentation, etc., ....
>
> The new reiser4 snapshot (against 2.6.5-rc2) is available at
>
> http://www.namesys.com/snapshots/2004.03.26/

2004-03-29 20:50:42

by Hans Reiser

This was the parallel fsync benchmark?

Hans

[email protected] wrote:

>I've run through another test on STP with the latest snapshot against
>reiser4 and reiserfs for comparison. Reiser4 still seems to be lagging
>behind reiserfs in our DBT-2 workload (the bigger number is better in
>the metric):
>
> metric url to test results
> ------ ---------------------------------
>reiser4 1208 http://khack.osdl.org/stp/290774/
>reiserfs 1819 http://khack.osdl.org/stp/290775/
>
>Mark
>
>On 26 Mar, Hans Reiser wrote:
>

>>We have one NFS related bug remaining, and one mmap all of memory
>>related bug (and performance issue) that you can hit using iozone. We
>>will fix both of these in next week's snapshot, they were both multi-day
>>bug fixes. When they are fixed, unless users/distros find bugs next
>>week we will submit it for inclusion in the -mm and then the official
>>kernel.
>>
>>We hope it is now fairly stable for average users if you avoid those two
>>issues (we need to get rid of those dire warnings about its
>>stability...., we will remember that next snapshot....;-) )
>>
>>We need a lot more real user testers, because we have run out of scripts
>>that can crash it, and there are distros that would like to ship it
>>soon. Please also complain to [email protected] and [email protected]
>>about poor documentation, etc., ....
>>
>>The new reiser4 snapshot (against 2.6.5-rc2) is available at
>>
>>http://www.namesys.com/snapshots/2004.03.26/

--
Hans

2004-03-29 21:29:45

by Mark Wong

It's an OLTP database workload, but it is the one with all those fsyncs
that Nikita pointed out.

Mark