2023-01-09 19:26:34

by Michael Kelley (LINUX)

Subject: Problem with pat_enable() and commit 72cbc8f04fe2

I've come across a case with a VM running on Hyper-V that doesn't get
MTRRs, but the PAT is functional. (This is a Confidential VM using
AMD's SEV-SNP encryption technology with the vTOM option.) In this
case, the changes in commit 72cbc8f04fe2 ("x86/PAT: Have pat_enabled()
properly reflect state when running on Xen") apply. pat_enabled() returns
"true", but the MTRRs are not enabled.

But with this commit, there's a problem. Consider memremap() on a RAM
region, called with MEMREMAP_WB plus MEMREMAP_DEC as the 3rd
argument. Because of the request for a decrypted mapping,
arch_memremap_can_ram_remap() returns false, and a new mapping
must be created, which is appropriate.

The following call stack results:

memremap()
arch_memremap_wb()
ioremap_cache()
__ioremap_caller()
memtype_reserve() <--- pcm is _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_WB
pat_x_mtrr_type() <-- only called after commit 72cbc8f04fe2

pat_x_mtrr_type() returns _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS because
mtrr_type_lookup() fails. As a result, memremap() erroneously creates the
new mapping as uncached. This uncached mapping is causing a significant
performance problem in certain Hyper-V Confidential VM configurations.

Any thoughts on resolving this? Should memtype_reserve() be checking
both pat_enabled() *and* whether MTRRs are enabled before calling
pat_x_mtrr_type()? Or does that defeat the purpose of commit
72cbc8f04fe2 in the Xen environment?

I'm also looking at how to avoid this combination in a Hyper-V Confidential
VM, but that doesn't address underlying the flaw.

Michael

2023-01-10 05:58:00

by Juergen Gross

On 09.01.23 19:28, Michael Kelley (LINUX) wrote:
> I've come across a case with a VM running on Hyper-V that doesn't get
> MTRRs, but the PAT is functional. (This is a Confidential VM using
> AMD's SEV-SNP encryption technology with the vTOM option.) In this
> case, the changes in commit 72cbc8f04fe2 ("x86/PAT: Have pat_enabled()
> properly reflect state when running on Xen") apply. pat_enabled() returns
> "true", but the MTRRs are not enabled.
>
> But with this commit, there's a problem. Consider memremap() on a RAM
> region, called with MEMREMAP_WB plus MEMREMAP_DEC as the 3rd
> argument. Because of the request for a decrypted mapping,
> arch_memremap_can_ram_remap() returns false, and a new mapping
> must be created, which is appropriate.
>
> The following call stack results:
>
> memremap()
> arch_memremap_wb()
> ioremap_cache()
> __ioremap_caller()
> memtype_reserve() <--- pcm is _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_WB
> pat_x_mtrr_type() <-- only called after commit 72cbc8f04fe2
>
> pat_x_mtrr_type() returns _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS because
> mtrr_type_lookup() fails. As a result, memremap() erroneously creates the
> new mapping as uncached. This uncached mapping is causing a significant
> performance problem in certain Hyper-V Confidential VM configurations.
>
> Any thoughts on resolving this? Should memtype_reserve() be checking
> both pat_enabled() *and* whether MTRRs are enabled before calling
> pat_x_mtrr_type()? Or does that defeat the purpose of commit
> 72cbc8f04fe2 in the Xen environment?

I think pat_x_mtrr_type() should return _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS only if
mtrr_type_lookup() is not failing and is returning a mode other than WB.

I'll send a patch.

> I'm also looking at how to avoid this combination in a Hyper-V Confidential
> VM, but that doesn't address underlying the flaw.

Yes.

Juergen

Attachments:
OpenPGP_0xB0DE9DD628BF132F.asc (3.08 kB)
OpenPGP public key
OpenPGP_signature (505.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

by Juergen Gross

On 10.01.23 06:47, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 09.01.23 19:28, Michael Kelley (LINUX) wrote:
>> I've come across a case with a VM running on Hyper-V that doesn't get
>> MTRRs, but the PAT is functional.  (This is a Confidential VM using
>> AMD's SEV-SNP encryption technology with the vTOM option.)  In this
>> case, the changes in commit 72cbc8f04fe2 ("x86/PAT: Have pat_enabled()
>> properly reflect state when running on Xen") apply.   pat_enabled() returns
>> "true", but the MTRRs are not enabled.
>>
>> But with this commit, there's a problem.  Consider memremap() on a RAM
>> region, called with MEMREMAP_WB plus MEMREMAP_DEC as the 3rd
>> argument. Because of the request for a decrypted mapping,
>> arch_memremap_can_ram_remap() returns false, and a new mapping
>> must be created, which is appropriate.
>>
>> The following call stack results:
>>
>>    memremap()
>>    arch_memremap_wb()
>>    ioremap_cache()
>>    __ioremap_caller()
>>    memtype_reserve()  <--- pcm is _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_WB
>>    pat_x_mtrr_type()  <-- only called after commit 72cbc8f04fe2
>>
>> pat_x_mtrr_type() returns _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS because
>> mtrr_type_lookup() fails.  As a result, memremap() erroneously creates the
>> new mapping as uncached.   This uncached mapping is causing a significant
>> performance problem in certain Hyper-V Confidential VM configurations.
>>
>> Any thoughts on resolving this?  Should memtype_reserve() be checking
>> both pat_enabled() *and* whether MTRRs are enabled before calling
>> pat_x_mtrr_type()?  Or does that defeat the purpose of commit
>> 72cbc8f04fe2 in the Xen environment?
>
> I think pat_x_mtrr_type() should return _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS only if
> mtrr_type_lookup() is not failing and is returning a mode other than WB.

Another idea would be to let the mtrr_type_lookup() stub in
arch/x86/include/asm/mtrr.h return MTRR_TYPE_WRBACK, enabling to simplify
pud_set_huge() and pmd_set_huge() by removing the check for MTRR_TYPE_INVALID.

Juergen

Attachments:
OpenPGP_0xB0DE9DD628BF132F.asc (3.08 kB)
OpenPGP public key
OpenPGP_signature (505.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

by Jan Beulich

On 10.01.2023 06:59, Juergen Gross wrote:
> On 10.01.23 06:47, Juergen Gross wrote:
>> On 09.01.23 19:28, Michael Kelley (LINUX) wrote:
>>> I've come across a case with a VM running on Hyper-V that doesn't get
>>> MTRRs, but the PAT is functional.  (This is a Confidential VM using
>>> AMD's SEV-SNP encryption technology with the vTOM option.)  In this
>>> case, the changes in commit 72cbc8f04fe2 ("x86/PAT: Have pat_enabled()
>>> properly reflect state when running on Xen") apply.   pat_enabled() returns
>>> "true", but the MTRRs are not enabled.
>>>
>>> But with this commit, there's a problem.  Consider memremap() on a RAM
>>> region, called with MEMREMAP_WB plus MEMREMAP_DEC as the 3rd
>>> argument. Because of the request for a decrypted mapping,
>>> arch_memremap_can_ram_remap() returns false, and a new mapping
>>> must be created, which is appropriate.
>>>
>>> The following call stack results:
>>>
>>>    memremap()
>>>    arch_memremap_wb()
>>>    ioremap_cache()
>>>    __ioremap_caller()
>>>    memtype_reserve()  <--- pcm is _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_WB
>>>    pat_x_mtrr_type()  <-- only called after commit 72cbc8f04fe2
>>>
>>> pat_x_mtrr_type() returns _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS because
>>> mtrr_type_lookup() fails.  As a result, memremap() erroneously creates the
>>> new mapping as uncached.   This uncached mapping is causing a significant
>>> performance problem in certain Hyper-V Confidential VM configurations.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on resolving this?  Should memtype_reserve() be checking
>>> both pat_enabled() *and* whether MTRRs are enabled before calling
>>> pat_x_mtrr_type()?  Or does that defeat the purpose of commit
>>> 72cbc8f04fe2 in the Xen environment?
>>
>> I think pat_x_mtrr_type() should return _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS only if
>> mtrr_type_lookup() is not failing and is returning a mode other than WB.

I agree.

> Another idea would be to let the mtrr_type_lookup() stub in
> arch/x86/include/asm/mtrr.h return MTRR_TYPE_WRBACK, enabling to simplify
> pud_set_huge() and pmd_set_huge() by removing the check for MTRR_TYPE_INVALID.

But that has a risk of ending up misleading: When there are no MTRRs, there
simply is no default type (in the absence of inspecting other criteria).

Jan

2023-01-10 10:17:17

by Juergen Gross

On 10.01.23 10:38, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 10.01.2023 06:59, Juergen Gross wrote:

>>> I think pat_x_mtrr_type() should return _PAGE_CACHE_MODE_UC_MINUS only if
>>> mtrr_type_lookup() is not failing and is returning a mode other than WB.
>
> I agree.
>
>> Another idea would be to let the mtrr_type_lookup() stub in
>> arch/x86/include/asm/mtrr.h return MTRR_TYPE_WRBACK, enabling to simplify
>> pud_set_huge() and pmd_set_huge() by removing the check for MTRR_TYPE_INVALID.
>
> But that has a risk of ending up misleading: When there are no MTRRs, there
> simply is no default type (in the absence of inspecting other criteria).

I've sent a patch checking for MTRR_TYPE_INVALID in pat_x_mtrr_type(). This
seemed to be a less intrusive change.

The idea to modify the stub came up as a result of looking at mtrr_type_lookup()
use cases after writing my patch. All users now take an action if the returned
type is not WB and not INVALID. So it would be a modification tailored for
today's mtrr_type_lookup() users only.

Juergen

Attachments:
OpenPGP_0xB0DE9DD628BF132F.asc (3.08 kB)
OpenPGP public key
OpenPGP_signature (505.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature
Download all attachments