2014-11-20 16:45:26

by Miklos Szeredi

Subject: [GIT PULL] overlay filesystem fixes for 3.18

Hi Al,

Please pull from

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mszeredi/vfs.git overlayfs-current

The biggest change is to rename the filesystem from "overlayfs" to "overlay".
This will allow legacy overlayfs to be easily carried by distros alongside the
new mainline one. Also fix a couple of copy-up races and allow escaping comma
character in filenames.

Thanks,
Miklos

---
Miklos Szeredi (8):
ovl: rename filesystem type to "overlay"
ovl: fix remove/copy-up race
ovl: fix race in private xattr checks
ovl: allow filenames with comma
ovl: use lockless_dereference() for upperdentry
ovl: pass dentry into ovl_dir_read_merged()
ovl: update MAINTAINERS
ovl: ovl_dir_fsync() cleanup

---
Documentation/filesystems/overlayfs.txt | 2 +-
MAINTAINERS | 7 ++--
fs/Makefile | 2 +-
fs/overlayfs/Kconfig | 2 +-
fs/overlayfs/Makefile | 4 +--
fs/overlayfs/dir.c | 31 ++++++++++-------
fs/overlayfs/inode.c | 27 ++++++++++-----
fs/overlayfs/readdir.c | 39 +++++++++------------
fs/overlayfs/super.c | 61 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------

by Al Viro

Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] overlay filesystem fixes for 3.18

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 05:45:31PM +0100, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> Please pull from
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mszeredi/vfs.git overlayfs-current
>
> The biggest change is to rename the filesystem from "overlayfs" to "overlay".
> This will allow legacy overlayfs to be easily carried by distros alongside the
> new mainline one. Also fix a couple of copy-up races and allow escaping comma
> character in filenames.

Grabbed, will push after I get a bit of sleep (and the same regarding the
review and comments on the other branch).

2014-11-21 10:50:30

by Miklos Szeredi

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Sedat Dilek <[email protected]> wrote:
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mszeredi/vfs.git overlayfs-current
>>

> This seems to be the place where overlayfs-fixes are collected for a
> git-pull request.
> Can you add a "T:" line with the Git tree into MAINTAINERS file if
> this is the case?

Done that already. See "ovl: update MAINTAINERS" patch in that series.

Thanks,
Miklos

2014-11-21 10:51:18

by Sedat Dilek

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM, Miklos Szeredi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> Please pull from
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mszeredi/vfs.git overlayfs-current

This seems to be the place where overlayfs-fixes are collected for a
git-pull request.
Can you add a "T:" line with the Git tree into MAINTAINERS file if
this is the case?
If not please let the people know about current situation.
Thanks.

- Sedat -

> The biggest change is to rename the filesystem from "overlayfs" to "overlay".
> This will allow legacy overlayfs to be easily carried by distros alongside the
> new mainline one. Also fix a couple of copy-up races and allow escaping comma
> character in filenames.
>
> Thanks,
> Miklos
>
> ---
> Miklos Szeredi (8):
> ovl: rename filesystem type to "overlay"
> ovl: fix remove/copy-up race
> ovl: fix race in private xattr checks
> ovl: allow filenames with comma
> ovl: use lockless_dereference() for upperdentry
> ovl: pass dentry into ovl_dir_read_merged()
> ovl: update MAINTAINERS
> ovl: ovl_dir_fsync() cleanup
>
> ---
> Documentation/filesystems/overlayfs.txt | 2 +-
> MAINTAINERS | 7 ++--
> fs/Makefile | 2 +-
> fs/overlayfs/Kconfig | 2 +-
> fs/overlayfs/Makefile | 4 +--
> fs/overlayfs/dir.c | 31 ++++++++++-------
> fs/overlayfs/inode.c | 27 ++++++++++-----
> fs/overlayfs/readdir.c | 39 +++++++++------------
> fs/overlayfs/super.c | 61 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------

by Hans-Peter Jansen

Dear Miklos,

On Donnerstag, 20. November 2014 17:45:31 Miklos Szeredi wrote:

> The biggest change is to rename the filesystem from "overlayfs" to
> "overlay". This will allow legacy overlayfs to be easily carried by distros
> alongside the new mainline one.

Would you kindly give a firm elaboration of this rename?

Why would a distro kernel maintainer want to keep the external overlayfs
patches together with the now in kernel module?

Isn't it enough to drop the external patches from distro kernels in order to
use it successfully or are there any semantic changes hidden that an admin
should know about?

BTW: congrats to all involved parties. A layered filesystem finally arrived in
the Linux kernel! This is a quantum leap for creative system architects.

Cheers,
Pete

proud user of aufs (and formerly unionfs) based fat diskless systems since
about a decade.

2014-11-21 12:42:03

by Miklos Szeredi

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Hans-Peter Jansen <[email protected]> wrote:
> Dear Miklos,
>
> On Donnerstag, 20. November 2014 17:45:31 Miklos Szeredi wrote:
>>
>> The biggest change is to rename the filesystem from "overlayfs" to
>> "overlay". This will allow legacy overlayfs to be easily carried by distros
>> alongside the new mainline one.
>
> Would you kindly give a firm elaboration of this rename?
>
> Why would a distro kernel maintainer want to keep the external overlayfs
> patches together with the now in kernel module?
>
> Isn't it enough to drop the external patches from distro kernels in order to
> use it successfully or are there any semantic changes hidden that an admin
> should know about?

See this thread:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/11/18/433

Thanks,
Miklos

2014-11-21 14:52:15

by Hans-Peter Jansen

On Freitag, 21. November 2014 13:41:57 Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Hans-Peter Jansen <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Dear Miklos,
> >
> > On Donnerstag, 20. November 2014 17:45:31 Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> >> The biggest change is to rename the filesystem from "overlayfs" to
> >> "overlay". This will allow legacy overlayfs to be easily carried by
> >> distros
> >> alongside the new mainline one.
> >
> > Would you kindly give a firm elaboration of this rename?
> >

> See this thread:
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/11/18/433

Okay, thanks. I must have missed this one. "overlay" is as good as a name can
be, IMHO.

Cheers,
Pete

2014-11-22 08:40:04

by Sedat Dilek

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Miklos Szeredi <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Sedat Dilek <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mszeredi/vfs.git overlayfs-current
>>>

>> This seems to be the place where overlayfs-fixes are collected for a
>> git-pull request.
>> Can you add a "T:" line with the Git tree into MAINTAINERS file if
>> this is the case?
>
> Done that already. See "ovl: update MAINTAINERS" patch in that series.

I asked for that a while ago.
"Done" is good to hear.

What about the other stuff (see my questions in [1])?

Thanks.

- Sedat -

[1] http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=141406538905679&w=1