2017-07-06 11:43:05

by Milian Wolff

Subject: hotspot v1.0.0 available - a GUI for Linux perf

Hey all,

I have the pleasure to finally announce the availability of hotspot v1.0.0.
Hotspot is a GUI for Linux perf. Right now, it's a drop-in replacement for
(parts of) `perf report`. It aims to be easier to use, but comes with powerful
features to analyze the profiler data:

- summary view
- bottom-up, top-down and caller/callee aggregations
- tooltips, searching, sorting etc. as expected from an interactive GUI
- integrated flamegraph (probably the most important feature)
- ability to show multiple event metrics side-by-side

The full release announcement contains pretty screenshots:

https://www.kdab.com/hotspot-gui-linux-perf-profiler/

You can download the release tarball from GitHub:

https://github.com/KDAB/hotspot/releases/tag/v1.0.0

Thanks, hope you like it. If so, please consider contributing:

Patches: https://github.com/KDAB/hotspot/pulls
Bug Reports: https://github.com/KDAB/hotspot/issues

PS: If you dislike GUIs and want to see me instead improve `perf report`
itself, don't worry! I've done that in the past and will continue doing so in
the future ;-)

PPS: If you wonder why I'm developing this out-of-tree: I simply believe that
this is the easiest approach for me to get things done. Trying to refactor the
perf internals to make it work for me use-case is a daunting task.

PPPS: If you wonder what that means for `perf report --gtk`, then I can't tell
you. It never worked for me and I believe it's rather unmaintained and
unfunctional anyways. I'm a C++/Qt/KDE guy, so I used the technologies I'm
familiar with.

Cheers
--
Milian Wolff | [email protected] | Senior Software Engineer
Tel: +49-30-521325470

Attachments:
smime.p7s (3.74 kB)

2017-07-07 14:30:45

by Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo

Subject: Re: hotspot v1.0.0 available - a GUI for Linux perf

Em Thu, Jul 06, 2017 at 01:42:56PM +0200, Milian Wolff escreveu:
> PS: If you dislike GUIs and want to see me instead improve `perf report`
> itself, don't worry! I've done that in the past and will continue doing so in
> the future ;-)

Cool, I'll look at features in your project and those that could be
'perf report' as low hanging fruits and I'll try to cherry pick :-)

Also things that can make it easier for hotstpot to use perf's code
base, things like the error messages for system configuration, etc, we
can try to make the output friendlier for use by a GUI, etc.

- Arnaldo