2011-02-01 17:47:11

by John Stoffel

Subject: 2.6.38-rc3 - make deb-pkg bombs out

I've been trying to do a 'make deb-pkg' on 2.6.38-rc? and not having
any luck. I was going to report this error for -rc2, but saw -rc3
this morning so I grabbed it and tried it out.

I can successfully build the kernel on x86_64 (Ubuntu 10.10 system,
dual core Athlon, 4gb RAM, current directory mounted via NFS), but
when I do:

fakeroot make O=/var/tmp/build deb-pkg

it dies with the following error:

INSTALL include/rdma (1 file)
INSTALL include/scsi/fc (4 files)
INSTALL include/scsi (3 files)
INSTALL include/sound (8 files)
INSTALL include/video (3 files)
INSTALL include/xen (2 files)
INSTALL include (0 file)
INSTALL include/asm (56 files)
find: `arch/x86/include': No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [deb-pkg] Error 1
make[1]: *** [deb-pkg] Error 2
make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

Anyone got a hint on what the solution is?

John

by John Stoffel

Subject: Re: 2.6.38-rc3 - make deb-pkg bombs out

I've updated this email to include the maintainer and the linux-kbuild
mailing list.

John> I've been trying to do a 'make deb-pkg' on 2.6.38-rc? and not
John> having any luck. I was going to report this error for -rc2, but
John> saw -rc3 this morning so I grabbed it and tried it out.

John> I can successfully build the kernel on x86_64 (Ubuntu 10.10
John> system, dual core Athlon, 4gb RAM, current directory mounted via
John> NFS), but when I do:

John> fakeroot make O=/var/tmp/build deb-pkg

Turns out the problem is with the "O=/var/tmp/build" since it works to
build the deb-pkg target in the current directory just fine, using the
same .config and same arguements.

I guess I'll start to bisect this and see when it last worked.
Looking at the scripts/package/builddeb script, it just needs to be
updated to use the O=/some/path in the find command. I think. But I
don't know the build system at all.

Thanks,
John

John> it dies with the following error:

John> INSTALL include/rdma (1 file)
John> INSTALL include/scsi/fc (4 files)
John> INSTALL include/scsi (3 files)
John> INSTALL include/sound (8 files)
John> INSTALL include/video (3 files)
John> INSTALL include/xen (2 files)
John> INSTALL include (0 file)
John> INSTALL include/asm (56 files)
John> find: `arch/x86/include': No such file or directory
John> make[2]: *** [deb-pkg] Error 1
John> make[1]: *** [deb-pkg] Error 2
John> make: *** [sub-make] Error 2

John> Anyone got a hint on what the solution is?

John> John

John> --
John> --
John> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
John> the body of a message to [email protected]
John> More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
John> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

by Nicolas de Pesloüan

Le 03/02/2011 23:05, John Stoffel a ?crit :

> I've updated this email to include the maintainer and the linux-kbuild
> mailing list.
>
> John> I've been trying to do a 'make deb-pkg' on 2.6.38-rc? and not
> John> having any luck. I was going to report this error for -rc2, but
> John> saw -rc3 this morning so I grabbed it and tried it out.
>
> John> I can successfully build the kernel on x86_64 (Ubuntu 10.10
> John> system, dual core Athlon, 4gb RAM, current directory mounted via
> John> NFS), but when I do:
>
> John> fakeroot make O=/var/tmp/build deb-pkg
>
> Turns out the problem is with the "O=/var/tmp/build" since it works to
> build the deb-pkg target in the current directory just fine, using the
> same .config and same arguements.
>
> I guess I'll start to bisect this and see when it last worked.
> Looking at the scripts/package/builddeb script, it just needs to be
> updated to use the O=/some/path in the find command. I think. But I
> don't know the build system at all.

Hi John,

I submitted a patch that fix this problem on January 24th.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-kbuild/msg04131.html

Despite a Tested-by: and an Acked-by:, this patch apparently didn't reach main line until now.

Nicolas.

2011-02-04 17:57:57

by John Stoffel

Nicolas> Le 03/02/2011 23:05, John Stoffel a ?crit :

>> I've updated this email to include the maintainer and the linux-kbuild
>> mailing list.

John> I've been trying to do a 'make deb-pkg' on 2.6.38-rc? and not
John> having any luck. I was going to report this error for -rc2, but
John> saw -rc3 this morning so I grabbed it and tried it out.

John> I can successfully build the kernel on x86_64 (Ubuntu 10.10
John> system, dual core Athlon, 4gb RAM, current directory mounted via
John> NFS), but when I do:

John> fakeroot make O=/var/tmp/build deb-pkg

>> Turns out the problem is with the "O=/var/tmp/build" since it works to
>> build the deb-pkg target in the current directory just fine, using the
>> same .config and same arguements.
>>
>> I guess I'll start to bisect this and see when it last worked.
>> Looking at the scripts/package/builddeb script, it just needs to be
>> updated to use the O=/some/path in the find command. I think. But I
>> don't know the build system at all.

Nicolas> I submitted a patch that fix this problem on January 24th.

Nicolas> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-kbuild/msg04131.html

Nicolas> Despite a Tested-by: and an Acked-by:, this patch apparently
Nicolas> didn't reach main line until now.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm doing a test build now, but I suspect
it will work just fine.

John