2009-07-11 02:13:30

by Mitchell Erblich

Subject: Suggested code code : simple : keep simple out-of-memory (oom) msg without rate_limits

Group,

Out of memory (oom) process killer is invoked when there is EXTREME
memory stress.

With the understanding that anytime we kill a process, a minimal
amount of information
about the process should be kept to be able to backtrack why a system
may be currently
be running with less than a normal level of functionality.

Thus, ./mm/oom_kill.c : oom_kill_process()

This change limits the amount of printing while keeping the coarse
level of info
when a process is killed within one function. The later function
calls generate
multiple times of output than the one printk that we are keeping.

move the if (printf_ratelimit() ) { statement to after the printk
invoked oom-killer

2ndly, should the not / " ! " be stated within the ratelimit check?

Mitchell Erblich
FYI: This CHANGE is one of a set of simple set of changes AND is my
"due-dilligence" of what was partially done
for a company and due to ... was not submitted back to
Linux.org. The major section re-writes are not being
submitted at this time.