2022-11-17 01:42:27

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: linux-next: manual merge of the thermal tree with the pm tree

Hi all,

Today's linux-next merge of the thermal tree got a conflict in:

drivers/thermal/thermal_sysfs.c

between commit:

05eeee2b51b4 ("thermal/core: Protect sysfs accesses to thermal operations with thermal zone mutex")

from the pm tree and commits:

dca20ad5acb7 ("thermal/core: Add a generic thermal_zone_get_trip() function")
aed8b46d141c ("thermal/core: Add a generic thermal_zone_set_trip() function")

from the thermal tree.

This was just too painful to fix up, so please fix it yourselves or
supply me with a resolution.

I have dropped the thermal tree for today.

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (499.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2022-11-17 16:30:27

by Wysocki, Rafael J

Hi Stephen,

On 11/17/2022 2:29 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today's linux-next merge of the thermal tree got a conflict in:
>
> drivers/thermal/thermal_sysfs.c
>
> between commit:
>
> 05eeee2b51b4 ("thermal/core: Protect sysfs accesses to thermal operations with thermal zone mutex")
>
> from the pm tree and commits:
>
> dca20ad5acb7 ("thermal/core: Add a generic thermal_zone_get_trip() function")
> aed8b46d141c ("thermal/core: Add a generic thermal_zone_set_trip() function")
>
> from the thermal tree.
>
> This was just too painful to fix up, so please fix it yourselves or
> supply me with a resolution.
>
> I have dropped the thermal tree for today.

From my perspective, the current material in the thermal tree is work
in progress and the thermal tree is merged via the pm tree anyway.

So I think that it would be better to merge it into linux-next through
the linux-next branch of the pm tree as a general rule.

In my view the material from Guenter is important bug fixes and it takes
precedence over any cleanups and new code.

In any case, sorry for the trouble.

2022-11-27 23:51:52

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi all,

On Thu, 17 Nov 2022 12:29:04 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Today's linux-next merge of the thermal tree got a conflict in:
>
> drivers/thermal/thermal_sysfs.c
>
> between commit:
>
> 05eeee2b51b4 ("thermal/core: Protect sysfs accesses to thermal operations with thermal zone mutex")
>
> from the pm tree and commits:
>
> dca20ad5acb7 ("thermal/core: Add a generic thermal_zone_get_trip() function")
> aed8b46d141c ("thermal/core: Add a generic thermal_zone_set_trip() function")
>
> from the thermal tree.
>
> This was just too painful to fix up, so please fix it yourselves or
> supply me with a resolution.
>
> I have dropped the thermal tree for today.

I am still not merging the thermal tree ...

Stephen Rothwell

Attachments:
(No filename) (495.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

2022-11-28 13:03:19

by Wysocki, Rafael J

Hi Stephen,

On 11/28/2022 12:22 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2022 12:29:04 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Today's linux-next merge of the thermal tree got a conflict in:
>>
>> drivers/thermal/thermal_sysfs.c
>>
>> between commit:
>>
>> 05eeee2b51b4 ("thermal/core: Protect sysfs accesses to thermal operations with thermal zone mutex")
>>
>> from the pm tree and commits:
>>
>> dca20ad5acb7 ("thermal/core: Add a generic thermal_zone_get_trip() function")
>> aed8b46d141c ("thermal/core: Add a generic thermal_zone_set_trip() function")
>>
>> from the thermal tree.
>>
>> This was just too painful to fix up, so please fix it yourselves or
>> supply me with a resolution.
>>
>> I have dropped the thermal tree for today.
> I am still not merging the thermal tree ...

Sorry about this, but I cannot fix it myself and Daniel is on an
extended leave.

Can you just drop it permanently from linux-next and we'll sort this out
when Daniel is back?

Thanks,

Rafael

2022-11-28 14:01:29

by Bagas Sanjaya

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 02:22:27PM +0100, Daniel Lezcano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 28/11/2022 13:51, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > Sorry about this, but I cannot fix it myself and Daniel is on an
> > extended leave.
> >
> > Can you just drop it permanently from linux-next and we'll sort this out
> > when Daniel is back?
>
> Yes sorry for that, I'll go back in a couple of days and sort this out

What about the upcoming merge window? At worst Linus has to figure
out how to solve this complex conflict when pulling either tree...

Linus has already said that there's likely -rc8 of current cycle [1],
so we have about two weeks to try sorting out the conflict and be ready
for PR to him.

Thanks.

[1]: https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=wgUZwX8Sbb8Zvm7FxWVfX6CGuE7x+E16VKoqL7Ok9vv7g@mail.gmail.com/

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara

Attachments:
(No filename) (890.00 B)
signature.asc (235.00 B)

by Daniel Lezcano

Hi,

On 28/11/2022 13:51, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On 11/28/2022 12:22 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> On Thu, 17 Nov 2022 12:29:04 +1100 Stephen Rothwell
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Today's linux-next merge of the thermal tree got a conflict in:
>>>
>>>    drivers/thermal/thermal_sysfs.c
>>>
>>> between commit:
>>>
>>>    05eeee2b51b4 ("thermal/core: Protect sysfs accesses to thermal
>>> operations with thermal zone mutex")
>>>
>>> from the pm tree and commits:
>>>
>>>    dca20ad5acb7 ("thermal/core: Add a generic thermal_zone_get_trip()
>>> function")
>>>    aed8b46d141c ("thermal/core: Add a generic thermal_zone_set_trip()
>>> function")
>>>
>>> from the thermal tree.
>>>
>>> This was just too painful to fix up, so please fix it yourselves or
>>> supply me with a resolution.
>>>
>>> I have dropped the thermal tree for today.
>> I am still not merging the thermal tree ...
>>
> Sorry about this, but I cannot fix it myself and Daniel is on an
> extended leave.
>
> Can you just drop it permanently from linux-next and we'll sort this out
> when Daniel is back?

Yes sorry for that, I'll go back in a couple of days and sort this out

--
<http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro: <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
<http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |
<http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog/> Blog

2022-11-28 14:43:03

by Daniel Lezcano

On 28/11/2022 14:48, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 02:22:27PM +0100, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 28/11/2022 13:51, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
>>> Sorry about this, but I cannot fix it myself and Daniel is on an
>>> extended leave.
>>>
>>> Can you just drop it permanently from linux-next and we'll sort this out
>>> when Daniel is back?
>>
>> Yes sorry for that, I'll go back in a couple of days and sort this out
>>

> What about the upcoming merge window? At worst Linus has to figure
> out how to solve this complex conflict when pulling either tree...
>
> Linus has already said that there's likely -rc8 of current cycle [1],
> so we have about two weeks to try sorting out the conflict and be ready
> for PR to him.

Thanks for the pointer.

I've been quickly through the changes for the thermal tree and I think I
should be able to sort out most of the patches before the end of this
week, hopefully. If there are any changes which sound too complex, I'll
post pone them to the next release

--
<http://www.linaro.org/> Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs

Follow Linaro: <http://www.facebook.com/pages/Linaro> Facebook |
<http://twitter.com/#!/linaroorg> Twitter |
<http://www.linaro.org/linaro-blog/> Blog

2022-11-28 15:25:26

by Rafael J. Wysocki

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 2:48 PM Bagas Sanjaya <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 02:22:27PM +0100, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 28/11/2022 13:51, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > > Sorry about this, but I cannot fix it myself and Daniel is on an
> > > extended leave.
> > >
> > > Can you just drop it permanently from linux-next and we'll sort this out
> > > when Daniel is back?
> >
> > Yes sorry for that, I'll go back in a couple of days and sort this out
> >

> What about the upcoming merge window? At worst Linus has to figure
> out how to solve this complex conflict when pulling either tree...
>
> Linus has already said that there's likely -rc8 of current cycle [1],
> so we have about two weeks to try sorting out the conflict and be ready
> for PR to him.

As I said before, the thermal tree is merged through the PM tree
anyway, so it needs to be addressed in the thermal tree or worked
around somehow. Linus will not see this conflict.

Worst-case I can apply patches directly with an ACK from Daniel.

Thanks!

2022-11-29 15:15:52

by Geert Uytterhoeven

Hi Daniel,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 3:08 PM Daniel Lezcano
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On 28/11/2022 14:48, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:

> >> Yes sorry for that, I'll go back in a couple of days and sort this out
> >
> > What about the upcoming merge window? At worst Linus has to figure
> > out how to solve this complex conflict when pulling either tree...
> >
> > Linus has already said that there's likely -rc8 of current cycle [1],
> > so we have about two weeks to try sorting out the conflict and be ready
> > for PR to him.
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
>
> I've been quickly through the changes for the thermal tree and I think I
> should be able to sort out most of the patches before the end of this
> week, hopefully. If there are any changes which sound too complex, I'll
> post pone them to the next release

I gave it a try for today's renesas-drivers release.
Does the conflict] resolution in [1] look good to you?

Thanks!

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/geert/renesas-drivers.git/commit/?h=renesas-drivers-2022-11-29-v6.1-rc7&id=9b249c2e655ef25473afbcdae85453c66eb288be

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- [email protected]

-- Linus Torvalds