2000-10-29 10:40:38

by Peter Samuelson

Subject: Re: RAID superblock

[Wakko Warner]
> While this subject is fresh, what would be wrong with using the
> entire drive as opposed to creating a partition and adding the
> partition to the raid?

Does it autodetect an entire drive? The autodetect logic for
partitions looks at the 'partition type' byte, which of course doesn't
exist for a whole drive.

Just a thought .. I don't run RAID here.

Peter

2000-10-29 12:29:08

by Igmar Palsenberg

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> [Wakko Warner]
> > While this subject is fresh, what would be wrong with using the
> > entire drive as opposed to creating a partition and adding the
> > partition to the raid?
>
> Does it autodetect an entire drive? The autodetect logic for
> partitions looks at the 'partition type' byte, which of course doesn't
> exist for a whole drive.
>
> Just a thought .. I don't run RAID here.

A good one. I seriously doubt that it indeed will detect drives. The're
not partitions, the're drives.

Don't think the current RAID code handles entire drives.

Igmar

2000-10-29 12:43:32

by Wakko Warner

> > [Wakko Warner]
> > > While this subject is fresh, what would be wrong with using the
> > > entire drive as opposed to creating a partition and adding the
> > > partition to the raid?
> >
> > Does it autodetect an entire drive? The autodetect logic for
> > partitions looks at the 'partition type' byte, which of course doesn't
> > exist for a whole drive.

Actually, I don't think it does. I've not booted into single user mode
(where the raid hasn'tbeen setup yet) to see.

> > Just a thought .. I don't run RAID here.
>
> A good one. I seriously doubt that it indeed will detect drives. The're
> not partitions, the're drives.
>
> Don't think the current RAID code handles entire drives.

Autodetect, probably not. But it doesn't seem to have any problems with it
as far as usability.