2000-11-09 08:39:33

by Simon Huggins

Subject: PCMCIA versioning...

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 03:40:39PM -0800, David Hinds wrote:
> [..] I would need to know what kernel versions and what PCMCIA driver
> versions were involved. [..]

Is there actually a way to work out what version of userspace utilities
you are using?

I read Changes and it tells me that I need pcmcia-cs 3.1.21 (for
test10-final). It also tells me I can find out the version using
cardmgr -V.
Yet whenever I build the pcmcia utils it grabs the version from
the kernel tree (include/pcmcia/version.h) and not from the file under
pcmcia-3.1.21 (in config.mk kernel is before local include dir).

Hence the bizarre result:
[huggie@langly /usr/src]$ pcmcia-cs-3.1.21/cardmgr/cardmgr -V
cardmgr version 3.1.22

(kernel's version.h is 3.1.22).

Um, is this normal, good, right and proper?
Does the version in Changes really mean "you should recompile
{cardmgr,cardctl} with each kernel"?

[ I'm using the kernel's pcmcia modules ]

--
----------( "Have you seen a man who's lost his luggage?" )----------
----------( -- Suitcase )----------

2000-11-11 01:35:03

by David Hinds

Subject: Re: PCMCIA versioning...

> Is there actually a way to work out what version of userspace
> utilities you are using?

Right now, no; the user space utilities grab the version number from
the header files. I haven't figured out a sane way to straighten this
out; this was the best I could come up with for now. In general, the
version of the kernel stuff is what matters: the user space tools
don't change much, and the API is pretty much static, so you don't
need to recompile them all the time.

-- Dave