2000-11-21 01:30:56

by Jeff Merkey

Subject: NFS 2.4.0-11 noisy messages/NFS rpc.lockd returns error

doing a mount <address>:/dir /mount_point generates the following noisy
error messages:

kmem_create: Forcing size word alignment - nfs-fh

also, the rpc.lockd program is reporting an error when invoked from the
System V init startup scripts:

lockd: lockdsvc: invalid argument

during system initialization with init 2.78.

The radio-miropcm20.o driver reports 3 unresolved externals (apm_
functions) and fails with depmod errors during init.

Jeff

2000-11-21 01:42:20

by Ion Badulescu

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:56:20 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey <[email protected]> wrote:

> also, the rpc.lockd program is reporting an error when invoked from the
> System V init startup scripts:
>
> lockd: lockdsvc: invalid argument

lockd is a kernel thread nowadays, remove it from your nfsd start script
or simply ignore the error (if you want compatibility with 2.2 kernels
before 2.2.18).

Ion

--
It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
than to open it and remove all doubt.

2000-11-21 01:46:29

by Jeff Merkey

Ion Badulescu wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:56:20 -0700, Jeff V. Merkey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > also, the rpc.lockd program is reporting an error when invoked from the
> > System V init startup scripts:
> >
> > lockd: lockdsvc: invalid argument
>
> lockd is a kernel thread nowadays, remove it from your nfsd start script
> or simply ignore the error (if you want compatibility with 2.2 kernels
> before 2.2.18).

Thanks. I saw [lockd] running from ps -ax along with [rpciod] --
performance was also significantly faster. 2.2 compatibility is a
problem, but not a serious one. I am updating initscripts.rpm. More
stuff in the kernel is always better.

Jeff