2000-11-28 23:47:31

by Ian S. Nelson

Subject: Loading initrd from flash

Is there a standardized way of doing this yet? I'm not using any MTD
stuff, yet, and it doesn't look like something that the code currently
does.

Ian

2000-11-29 00:30:38

by Erik Mouw

Subject: Re: Loading initrd from flash

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 04:17:12PM -0700, Ian S. Nelson wrote:
> Is there a standardized way of doing this yet? I'm not using any MTD
> stuff, yet, and it doesn't look like something that the code currently
> does.

The standard way of doing it on ARM linux systems is that the boot
loader copies the contents of the (compressed) ramdisk from flash to a
place in ram where the kernel expects it to be. Another possibility is
to point the kernel to the flash memory and have it decompressed from
there.

Erik

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: [email protected]