2000-11-29 13:11:08

by Wayne Price

Subject: Question: Serial port device drivers...

I am trying to develop a device-driver to sit above the standard serial port -
in other
words, multiple processes can communicate with the driver which will translate
the
information into the required serial datastream for the device. (This could be
written
as a separate daemon-type process, I know, but as a kernel driver it will fit
into the
scheme of our system in a much neater way).

I haven't found any other drivers in the kernel which quite do what I want, and
I don't
particularly want to make a copy of the entire serial driver code and put the
mods into
that (seems like a waste of space). Essentially, what I need is to have a
relatively
simple driver which just calls the standard serial port routines to send/receive
data.

Has this been done before, and does anyone have any sample code or hints as to
what I
need to do? We are using kernel 2.2.16 (from RedHat-7.0).

Regards,

Wayne
Wayne Price [email protected] Acropolis Solutions Ltd
Mobile: +44 (0) 7770 376383 Home: +44 (0) 1483 531235

2000-11-29 19:22:38

by Greg KH

Subject: Re: Question: Serial port device drivers...

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 12:42:47PM +0000, Wayne Price wrote:

> Has this been done before, and does anyone have any sample code or
> hints as to what I need to do? We are using kernel 2.2.16 (from
> RedHat-7.0).

You might want to take a look at the Axis Bluetooth stack for Linux
(http://www.axis.com). It lives above the serial driver and sounds like it
does what you are looking to do.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h