2000-12-11 09:49:59

by John O'Donnell

Subject: YUP- Almost 2.2.18

Alan,
I was trying to re-install my VMware with the latest 2.2.18 kernel.
It failed to try to re-compile the modules.

--------------------
What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The directory of kernel headers (version 2.2.17) does not match your
running
kernel (version 2.2.18). Consequently, even if the compilation of the
module wassuccessful, the module would not load into the running kernel.
-----------------------

Upon inspection of /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h
it plainly says 2.2.17.... ???? I changed it to 2.2.18 and all is well.
Johnny O

--
=== Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away.===
+==============================+====================================+

2000-12-12 01:14:08

by Peter Samuelson

Subject: Re: YUP- Almost 2.2.18

[John O'Donnell]
> The directory of kernel headers (version 2.2.17) does not match your
> running kernel (version 2.2.18). Consequently, even if the
> compilation of the module wassuccessful, the module would not load
> into the running kernel.

> Upon inspection of /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h
> it plainly says 2.2.17.... ???? I changed it to 2.2.18 and all is well.

version.h is an auto-generated file (see the first four lines of the
toplevel Makefile for the correct version definition). It is generated
when you compile the kernel. If you unpacked the tree (or patched a
2.2.17 tree) *without* compiling anything, version.h (and compile.h,
which is created at about the same time) will be either missing or
wrong.

Peter