2000-12-12 13:41:26

by Mohammad A. Haque

Subject: how to capture long oops w/o having second machine

What's the best way to capture (manually or otherwise) a rather long
oops that scrolls off my console without having a second machine?

I'm gonna try to compile in a framebuffer and use a high resolution and
see if that'll hold it all when I get back later today.

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Xavier Bestel

> What's the best way to capture (manually or otherwise) a rather long
> oops that scrolls off my console without having a second machine?
>
> I'm gonna try to compile in a framebuffer and use a high resolution and
> see if that'll hold it all when I get back later today.

shift+pageup ?

Xav

2000-12-12 14:00:17

by Tigran Aivazian

On 12 Dec 2000, Xavier Bestel wrote:

> > What's the best way to capture (manually or otherwise) a rather long
> > oops that scrolls off my console without having a second machine?
> >
> > I'm gonna try to compile in a framebuffer and use a high resolution and
> > see if that'll hold it all when I get back later today.
>
> shift+pageup ?

the problem with Shift-PgUP is that all the framebuffer drivers I tried
(matrox, ati, vesa) corrupt the screen when it is used. The only way to
use Shift-PgUp reliably I have ever seen was on vgacon. These bugs seemed
to be there for years so I didn't even bother reporting them - I just got
used to the idea "using fb? forget the Shift-PgUP then".

Regards,
Tigran

2000-12-12 14:03:18

by Mohammad A. Haque

No go.

Xavier Bestel wrote:

> shift+pageup ?

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Mohammad A. Haque

Someone gave me a really awesome idea about possibly using a palm pilot
to capture the oops. Anyone know if it will be a problem using
/dev/ttyUSB0 as the serial port?

Baiscally if I want to duplicate the environment in which I'm getting
the oops, I need to be dialed out. That takes out COM1. I never gt my
COM2 to work (can't figure out what's wrong. doesn't work under windows
either). So that's out. I have a Keyspan USB PDA adapter that I use for
my Palm Vx which shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0.

I guess if usb serial can't be used I'll try duplicating the oops w/o
being dialed out.

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:

> What's the best way to capture (manually or otherwise) a rather long
> oops that scrolls off my console without having a second machine?

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Wakko Warner

> What's the best way to capture (manually or otherwise) a rather long
> oops that scrolls off my console without having a second machine?
>
> I'm gonna try to compile in a framebuffer and use a high resolution and
> see if that'll hold it all when I get back later today.

Tried using a printer? (Laser is not a good idea as they only print pages
at a time.)

by Petr Vandrovec

On 12 Dec 00 at 13:31, Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> > > I'm gonna try to compile in a framebuffer and use a high resolution and
> > > see if that'll hold it all when I get back later today.
> >
> > shift+pageup ?
>
> the problem with Shift-PgUP is that all the framebuffer drivers I tried
> (matrox, ati, vesa) corrupt the screen when it is used. The only way to
> use Shift-PgUp reliably I have ever seen was on vgacon. These bugs seemed
> to be there for years so I didn't even bother reporting them - I just got
> used to the idea "using fb? forget the Shift-PgUP then".

Do not hit 'shift-pgup' while penguin logo is on the screen. Something
somewhere is wrong... (and never hit shift-pgdn; shift-pgup corrupts
screen while shift-pgdn corrupts kernel memory)

Or better, boot with 'video=scrollback:0' (*). I think that we should
make this default for 2.4, as (except this problem) scrollback code is
broken for multihead and fix is not trivial.
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec
[email protected]

(*) With matrox in 8bpp you'll get almost always bigger and faster scrollback
with 'video=scrollback:0' than with default 'scrollback:32768' ...

2000-12-12 17:07:38

by Greg KH

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 09:34:30AM -0500, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:
> Someone gave me a really awesome idea about possibly using a palm pilot
> to capture the oops. Anyone know if it will be a problem using
> /dev/ttyUSB0 as the serial port?
>
> Baiscally if I want to duplicate the environment in which I'm getting
> the oops, I need to be dialed out. That takes out COM1. I never gt my
> COM2 to work (can't figure out what's wrong. doesn't work under windows
> either). So that's out. I have a Keyspan USB PDA adapter that I use for
> my Palm Vx which shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0.
>
> I guess if usb serial can't be used I'll try duplicating the oops w/o
> being dialed out.

I don't know if /dev/ttyUSBX would work, but I think it would. People
have successfully run consoles through the usb-serial drivers, but I'm
not sure if the oops main console requires something different (like
registering itself actually as a console?)

And then there's the nice problem of the fact that if the oops comes
from the USB code, you will not see it come out the usb-serial driver :)

Let me know if you try this, and have any success (or find that it
doesn't work.)

thanks,

greg k-h

--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com
http://immunix.org/~greg

2000-12-12 18:30:19

by Andreas Bombe

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 09:34:30AM -0500, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:
> Someone gave me a really awesome idea about possibly using a palm pilot
> to capture the oops. Anyone know if it will be a problem using
> /dev/ttyUSB0 as the serial port?

The driver itself has to provide support for serial console. If the USB
serial driver doesn't (I don't know) it won't work. Check the config
options for USB serial, if it doesn't offer an option for console on USB
serial port then you're out of luck.

Unless the USB serial driver in some strange way hooks into the standard
serial driver, but then someone more knowledgeable should answer that
question.

--
Andreas E. Bombe <[email protected]> DSA key 0x04880A44
http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/ http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/

2000-12-12 21:09:49

by Mohammad A. Haque

Nope, this didn't fly. Would have been neat if it did work. Maybe it can
be made to work for future use?

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Greg KH wrote:

> I don't know if /dev/ttyUSBX would work, but I think it would. People
> have successfully run consoles through the usb-serial drivers, but I'm
> not sure if the oops main console requires something different (like
> registering itself actually as a console?)
>
> And then there's the nice problem of the fact that if the oops comes
> from the USB code, you will not see it come out the usb-serial driver :)
>
> Let me know if you try this, and have any success (or find that it
> doesn't work.)

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Miles Lane

Try reading:

http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.3/doc/oops-tracing.txt.html

It mentions:

Patch the kernel with one of the crash dump patches. These save
data to a floppy disk or video rom or a swap partition. None of
these are standard kernel patches so you have to find and apply
them yourself. Search kernel archives for kmsgdump, lkcd and
oops+smram.

I don't know if the "dump to floppy" patch is maintained for the
2.4.0 series.

Miles

Mohammad A. Haque wrote:

> Nope, this didn't fly. Would have been neat if it did work. Maybe it can
> be made to work for future use?
>
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Greg KH wrote:
>

>> I don't know if /dev/ttyUSBX would work, but I think it would. People
>> have successfully run consoles through the usb-serial drivers, but I'm
>> not sure if the oops main console requires something different (like
>> registering itself actually as a console?)
>>
>> And then there's the nice problem of the fact that if the oops comes
>> from the USB code, you will not see it come out the usb-serial driver :)
>>
>> Let me know if you try this, and have any success (or find that it
>> doesn't work.)

2000-12-12 22:27:15

by Greg KH

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 06:13:39PM +0100, Andreas Bombe wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 09:34:30AM -0500, Mohammad A. Haque wrote:
> > Someone gave me a really awesome idea about possibly using a palm pilot
> > to capture the oops. Anyone know if it will be a problem using
> > /dev/ttyUSB0 as the serial port?
>
> The driver itself has to provide support for serial console. If the USB
> serial driver doesn't (I don't know) it won't work. Check the config
> options for USB serial, if it doesn't offer an option for console on USB
> serial port then you're out of luck.
>
> Unless the USB serial driver in some strange way hooks into the standard
> serial driver, but then someone more knowledgeable should answer that
> question.

Nope, it doesn't specifically support the CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE with all
of the register_console code, etc., so this will not work, sorry.

But it's something that I would gladly take a patch for :)

greg k-h

--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com
http://immunix.org/~greg

2000-12-12 23:54:53

by dean gaudet

i've always been curious why none of the crash dump patches are default.
an oops dumper alone would seem to be most useful. (i know anything more
would be unacceptable 'cause linus isn't into debuggers ;)

-dean

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Miles Lane wrote:

> Try reading:
>
> http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.3/doc/oops-tracing.txt.html
>
> It mentions:
>
> Patch the kernel with one of the crash dump patches. These save
> data to a floppy disk or video rom or a swap partition. None of
> these are standard kernel patches so you have to find and apply
> them yourself. Search kernel archives for kmsgdump, lkcd and
> oops+smram.
>
> I don't know if the "dump to floppy" patch is maintained for the
> 2.4.0 series.
>
> Miles
>
> Mohammad A. Haque wrote:
>
> > Nope, this didn't fly. Would have been neat if it did work. Maybe it can
> > be made to work for future use?
> >
> > On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Greg KH wrote:
> >

> >> I don't know if /dev/ttyUSBX would work, but I think it would. People
> >> have successfully run consoles through the usb-serial drivers, but I'm
> >> not sure if the oops main console requires something different (like
> >> registering itself actually as a console?)
> >>
> >> And then there's the nice problem of the fact that if the oops comes
> >> from the USB code, you will not see it come out the usb-serial driver :)
> >>
> >> Let me know if you try this, and have any success (or find that it
> >> doesn't work.)
>

> -

by Mohammad A. Haque

Wouldn't you know it. I've patched my kernel with kdb and now I can't
get it to throw up.

Maybe it'll do it once this mail gets sent out like it did last time.

I'd prefer a dumper also. I went and grabbed LKCD but it didn't patch
cleanly against test12 so I decided against it.

dean gaudet wrote:

> i've always been curious why none of the crash dump patches are default.
> an oops dumper alone would seem to be most useful. (i know anything more
> would be unacceptable 'cause linus isn't into debuggers ;)
>
> -dean

Mohammad A. Haque http://www.haque.net/
[email protected]

"Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Project Lead
Don't drink and derive." --Unknown http://wm.themes.org/

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > Someone gave me a really awesome idea about possibly using a palm pilot
> > to capture the oops. Anyone know if it will be a problem using
> > /dev/ttyUSB0 as the serial port?
> >
> > Baiscally if I want to duplicate the environment in which I'm getting
> > the oops, I need to be dialed out. That takes out COM1. I never gt my
> > COM2 to work (can't figure out what's wrong. doesn't work under windows
> > either). So that's out. I have a Keyspan USB PDA adapter that I use for
> > my Palm Vx which shows up as /dev/ttyUSB0.
> >
> > I guess if usb serial can't be used I'll try duplicating the oops w/o
> > being dialed out.
>
> I don't know if /dev/ttyUSBX would work, but I think it would. People
> have successfully run consoles through the usb-serial drivers, but I'm
> not sure if the oops main console requires something different (like
> registering itself actually as a console?)

No, you can't put kernel console on usb. Kernel console has to work
irq-less.
Pavel
--
I'm [email protected]. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at [email protected]

2000-12-16 22:26:26

by Pavel Machek

Hi!

> > > Someone gave me a really awesome idea about possibly using a palm pilot
> > > to capture the oops. Anyone know if it will be a problem using
> > > /dev/ttyUSB0 as the serial port?
> >
> > The driver itself has to provide support for serial console. If the USB
> > serial driver doesn't (I don't know) it won't work. Check the config
> > options for USB serial, if it doesn't offer an option for console on USB
> > serial port then you're out of luck.
> >
> > Unless the USB serial driver in some strange way hooks into the standard
> > serial driver, but then someone more knowledgeable should answer that
> > question.
>
> Nope, it doesn't specifically support the CONFIG_SERIAL_CONSOLE with all
> of the register_console code, etc., so this will not work, sorry.
>
> But it's something that I would gladly take a patch for :)

Forget it. It is almost impossible, unless you can do usb without
interrupts. (You can't).
Pavel