2000-12-17 23:29:58

by Igor Mozetic

Subject: mount and 2.2.18

After installing the latest 2.2.18 kernel on a Debian 2.2
box the following keeps appearing in kern.log:

Dec 17 18:33:53 xxx kernel: nfs warning: mount version older than kernel

Is this harmless or do I need the latest mount?
Currently I don't use kNFSv3, user-space v2 is fine.

-Igor Mozetic

2000-12-18 09:13:02

by Thomas Pornin

Subject: Re: mount and 2.2.18

In article <[email protected]> you write:
> Is this harmless or do I need the latest mount?

The latest mount is needed only for NFSv3 support. As long as you do
only NFSv2, there is no problem (except the message, you will get it
once per mounting).

But NFSv3 is great; if your server is NFSv3 aware, I suggest you shift
your client to NFSv3 as well. It rocks.

--Thomas Pornin

2000-12-18 16:39:23

by Brady Montz

Thomas Pornin <[email protected]> writes:

> But NFSv3 is great; if your server is NFSv3 aware, I suggest you shift
> your client to NFSv3 as well. It rocks.

Can anyone point me to some docs describing the benefits of NFSv3? Thanks.

--
Brady Montz

by Alan

> Thomas Pornin <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > But NFSv3 is great; if your server is NFSv3 aware, I suggest you shift
> > your client to NFSv3 as well. It rocks.
>
> Can anyone point me to some docs describing the benefits of NFSv3? Thanks.

Not off hand but I can give you a very brief summary of the big one - write
speed. NFSv2 does synchronous writes with a minimal amount of write ahead.
NFSv3 gathers writes on the server and schedules them as the server wishes.
The client sends write requests but before it can assume them completed
and thus clear that part of its cache has to commit them. Normally the commit
is done well after the I/O hit server disks, if not it waits

2000-12-18 17:18:40

by Andrea Arcangeli

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 04:26:52PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Thomas Pornin <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > But NFSv3 is great; if your server is NFSv3 aware, I suggest you shift
> > > your client to NFSv3 as well. It rocks.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to some docs describing the benefits of NFSv3? Thanks.
>
> Not off hand but I can give you a very brief summary of the big one - write
> speed. NFSv2 does synchronous writes with a minimal amount of write ahead.
> NFSv3 gathers writes on the server and schedules them as the server wishes.
> The client sends write requests but before it can assume them completed
> and thus clear that part of its cache has to commit them. Normally the commit
> is done well after the I/O hit server disks, if not it waits

BTW, another relevant feature is that with 2.4.x and 2.2.18aa2 you also get >2G
files with NFSv3 (like on top of ext2).

Andrea