2000-12-23 19:57:52

by Todd M. Roy

Subject: lvm 0.8 to 0.9 conversion?

Now that in 2.4.0-test12-pre4, lvm 0.9 has replaced 0.8, is it possible
to do a conversion of lvm created physical volumes, volume groups
and logical volumes from 0.8 to 0.9?

Sorry if this is already a FAQ that I just haven't found yet.

-- todd --

2000-12-23 20:41:13

by Andrea Arcangeli

Subject: Re: lvm 0.8 to 0.9 conversion?

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 02:24:39PM -0500, Todd M. Roy wrote:

> Now that in 2.4.0-test12-pre4, lvm 0.9 has replaced 0.8, is it possible
> to do a conversion of lvm created physical volumes, volume groups
> and logical volumes from 0.8 to 0.9?

on-disk format isn't changed so no conversion is needed. You only
need to upgrade the lvm tools to use the new kernel driver, grab the tools from
http://www.sistina.com.

Andrea

2000-12-23 22:01:40

by Todd M. Roy

Andre,
One of my two volume groups, unfortunately the one with
/usr, /var, /opt, and /home, isn't recognized by 0.9's vgscan when
I reboot under 2.4.0-test13-pre4. But since the second volume
group is visible, and you just told meit should be, then I can just
copy volumes over under test13-pre3 and destroy and recreate the
first volume group.

Thanks,

-- todd --

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 02:24:39PM -0500, Todd M. Roy wrote:

>> Now that in 2.4.0-test12-pre4, lvm 0.9 has replaced 0.8, is it
possible
>> to do a conversion of lvm created physical volumes, volume groups
>> and logical volumes from 0.8 to 0.9?
>on-disk format isn't changed so no conversion is needed. You only
>need to upgrade the lvm tools to use the new kernel driver, grab the
tools from
http://www.sistina.com.

Andre

2000-12-27 20:24:24

by Andrea Arcangeli

On Sat, Dec 23, 2000 at 04:29:19PM -0500, Todd M. Roy wrote:
> group is visible, and you just told meit should be, then I can just
> copy volumes over under test13-pre3 and destroy and recreate the
> first volume group.

Is it possible you had a snapshot in the volume group when you started
lvm 0.9 the first time? snapshots are not persistent on pre3 so it doesn't make
sense to left them before rebooting the kernel, and maybe lvmtools 0.9 doesn't
cope correctly with non persistent snapshot created by 0.8 driver (trivial to
temporarly workaround, just delete any snapshot volume before using 0.9 lvm :).

Andrea