2000-12-23 09:34:00

by Udo A. Steinberg

Subject: New discoveries in the EEPro100 init saga

Hi all,

After enabling the option "EEPRO100_PM" and upgrading to test13-pre4
my problems with the eepro100 driver mysteriously ceased to exist.
I no longer see any "Card reports no RX buffers" or "Card reports no
resources" messages.

Since I don't think -pre4 changed anything from -pre3 that would
affect the eepro100 driver, my bet is that enabling the experimental
power management feature somehow works around the issue.

Can others who've had similar problems check if that works for them
as well? If it does, it should be somewhat simple to work out what
the problem actually is, because the PM code is just a couple dozen
lines.

Merry X-mas!

-Udo.

2000-12-28 20:56:08

by Dragan Stancevic

Subject: Re: New discoveries in the EEPro100 init saga

;
; Since I don't think -pre4 changed anything from -pre3 that would
; affect the eepro100 driver, my bet is that enabling the experimental
; power management feature somehow works around the issue.
;
; Can others who've had similar problems check if that works for them
; as well? If it does, it should be somewhat simple to work out what
; the problem actually is, because the PM code is just a couple dozen
; lines.

Udo,

the driver has an issue that is affected by fiddling with different
parameters, it's a timing issue of somesort, changing a bit of code
seems to fix it on one system but it breaks it on others, I am comparing
the driver line by line to the specs to see where the misbehavioure
could be comming from.

--
I knew I was alone, I was scared, it was getting dark and
it was a hardware problem.

-Dragan