2000-12-29 03:36:27

by Armin Obersteiner

Subject: aic7xxx 2.4.0 test12 hang

hi!

kernel: 2.4.0.test12
hardware: Adaptec AIC-7892 Ultra 160/m SCSI host adapter (19160)

problem: kernel hangs when using my cdrom with cdparanoia to read cdda data.
(i have nothing else on the bus for now.)

i'd like 2 provide more info, but after 2 *long* fsck ... (maybe tomorrow :-(

i've read about similar hangs on an alpha on this list (same kind of controller)
any solution there ...

Regards,
Armin

2000-12-29 08:54:28

by Leslie Donaldson

Subject: Re: aic7xxx 2.4.0 test12 hang

Hello,
Just a small followup here, I haven't had a chance to dig throught the
driver
yet, I did forward a copy to the aic7xxx maintainer, but no response
yet. However
if you are having problems on an intel platform that is good news. (Non
intel
platforms get blown off a lot sigh.) This weekend I will try to debug it
or at least
figure out something. My initial guess is to disable all command tag
queueing,
While I am in the code I also want to go digging around and see if I
can find a
way to turn of the in memory buffering that Linux does for block devices
as this
would make my fscking a LOT shorter, (18 gigs is slow),
But first I need to find my null modem serial cable. sigh. funnsies.

Leslie Donaldson

--
/----------------------------\ Current Contractor: None
| Leslie F. Donaldson | Current Customer : None
| Computer Contractor | Skills:
Unix/OS9/VMS/Linux/SUN-OS/C/C++/assembly
| Have Computer will travel. | WWW :
http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~donaldlf
\----------------------------/ Email: mail://[email protected]
Goth Code V1.1: GoCS$$ TYg(T6,T9) B11Bk!^1 C6b-- P0(1,7) M+ a24 n---
b++:+
H6'11" g m---- w+ r+++ D--~!% h+ s10 k+++ R-- Ssw
LusCA++

2000-12-29 12:05:07

by Alan

> While I am in the code I also want to go digging around and see if I
> can find a
> way to turn of the in memory buffering that Linux does for block devices
> as this
> would make my fscking a LOT shorter, (18 gigs is slow),

No, because you need to do the ordering too. You could drop reiserfs on the
disk if you are feeling adventurous as that will cut your fsck time right
down.

> > i've read about similar hangs on an alpha on this list (same kind of controller)
> > any solution there ...

AIC7xxx makes invalid uses of 32bit values for set_bit() and friends so it
may be that for the Alpha and the like problems

2000-12-29 16:12:09

by Leslie Donaldson

>> While I am in the code I also want to go digging around and see if I
>> can find a
>> way to turn of the in memory buffering that Linux does for block devices
>> as this
>> would make my fscking a LOT shorter, (18 gigs is slow),
>
>No, because you need to do the ordering too. You could drop reiserfs on the
>disk if you are feeling adventurous as that will cut your fsck time right
>down.

Good point, sigh , I will look into reserfs but my adventurous nature is
getting a good beat down lately.

>> > i've read about similar hangs on an alpha on this list (same kind of controller)
>> > any solution there ...
>
>AIC7xxx makes invalid uses of 32bit values for set_bit() and friends so it
>may be that for the Alpha and the like problems

A CLUE!

Cool I will dig into this weekend.

Thanks a lot
Leslie Donaldson

This was also sent to me

>> would make my fscking a LOT shorter, (18 gigs is slow),
>
>18G is small by today's standards. so I suspect the problem is
>actually that you have sub-4K blocks, and or haven't enabled
>sparse superblocks. both fairly dramatically speed up fsck.

True 18 gigs is small and yes I don't have those two options
turned on , but my problem is this crash occures while Writing
to the drive not reading. So, Out of an estimated 24 crashes every
last one of them have caused me to enter single user mode manually
run e2fsck on the partition and hold down th y key for a few
minutes. Then after booting I have to go and clean out the directory
which (1-3) times results in another crash. Rexecute loop.

What I was thinking about is if I could remove the buffer layer
then I would have a lot less damage on the disk and maybe it could
just reboot on it's own. sigh