2001-02-01 10:28:41

by Peter Samuelson

Subject: Re: spelling of disc (disk) in /devfs

[Jeremy M. Dolan]
> Disk is spelled 'disk' except for Compact Disc and Digital Versatile
> Disc. If it wasn't 3:30 in the morning, a patch would be attached.

It wouldn't do any good. Many months ago, Ted Ts'o pleaded with
Richard Gooch (devfs author, from Australia) to switch to the American
spelling of the word, for consistency with the rest of the kernel, and
nothing came of it. At this point you may as well consider
'/dev/discs' an "interface set in stone". (Come on, do *you* want to
explain to thousands of people why their /etc/fstab suddenly broke?)

Peter

2001-02-01 10:58:09

by Alan

> Richard Gooch (devfs author, from Australia) to switch to the American
> spelling of the word, for consistency with the rest of the kernel, and

Pardon

include/linux/console_struct.h: unsigned char vc_palette[16*3]; /* Colour palette for VGA+ */
include/linux/dio.h:#define DIO_ID2_HRCCATSEYE 0x06 /* highres colour "catseye" */
include/linux/kd.h:#define GIO_CMAP 0x4B70 /* gets colour palette on VGA+ */
include/linux/kd.h:#define PIO_CMAP 0x4B71 /* sets colour palette on VGA+ */
include/linux/videodev.h: __u16 colour;

etc..

2001-02-01 17:21:42

by Peter Samuelson

[me]
> > Richard Gooch (devfs author, from Australia) to switch to the American
> > spelling of the word, for consistency with the rest of the kernel, and

[ac]
> Pardon
>
> include/linux/console_struct.h: unsigned char vc_palette[16*3]; /* Colour palette for VGA+ */
> include/linux/dio.h:#define DIO_ID2_HRCCATSEYE 0x06 /* highres colour "catseye" */

Ted said it, not me. FWIW I like 'your' spelling of many words
(including "colour") better than 'ours' anyway..

Peter