2001-02-01 18:28:52

by idalton

Subject: Re: spelling of disc (disk) in /devfs

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 06:35:30PM -0600, List User wrote:
> If it's any consolation from (this American) I'm glad it's 'disc' (always
> thought that 'disk' was just for those marketing dweebs who couldn't spell
> right
> in the first place).

And in terms of casual usage, I've nearly always used 'disk' in
reference to media that can be mounted read-write, and 'disc' to media
that can only be mounted read-only.

More technically, 'disc' is a single media layer (usually a CD-ROM) and
'disk' is a removable media device with a protective casing.

Non-removable storage are generally refered to as 'drives'.

Yes, it's confusing.

-- Ferret

2001-02-01 19:10:21

by Richard B. Johnson

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 [email protected] wrote:
[Snipped...]

> And in terms of casual usage, I've nearly always used 'disk' in
> reference to media that can be mounted read-write, and 'disc' to media
> that can only be mounted read-only.
>
> More technically, 'disc' is a single media layer (usually a CD-ROM) and
> 'disk' is a removable media device with a protective casing.
>
> Non-removable storage are generally refered to as 'drives'.

Webster says (but what did he know), that "disc" is an abbreviation
for "discount", a variation of "disk", or a "phonograph record".

Disk is even more obscure, It relates to plowing and harrowing.
However buried in the text is a reference to "round flat plate coated
with a magnetic substance upon which data for a computer is stored"

Disque isn't listed, and the French Security Police had it
exterminated from the language when it started to show up on
boxes of "disquettes". Last I heard, their 'Disk' is roughly-
translated to "train in a box".

So, we should call them paradigms ;^.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.

2001-02-01 23:19:15

by Harald Arnesen

"Richard B. Johnson" <[email protected]> writes:

> Webster says (but what did he know), that "disc" is an abbreviation
> for "discount", a variation of "disk", or a "phonograph record".

The "Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English"
(1995 edition) says that a disc is:

(also esp US disk)
1. a flat, thin, round object, eg a coin (he wears an identity disc
around his neck)
2. a round surface that appears to be flat (the moon's disc)
3. = record (recordings on disc and cassette) see also compact disc
4. = disk 2
5. (anatomy) a layer of cartilage between the bones of the spine

> Disk is even more obscure, It relates to plowing and harrowing.
> However buried in the text is a reference to "round flat plate coated
> with a magnetic substance upon which data for a computer is stored"

And a disk is:

1. (esp US) disc
2. (computing) a circular plate on which data can be recorded in a
form that can be used by a computer
--
Harald Arnesen, Apall?kkveien 23 A, N-0956 Oslo, Norway