2001-02-01 23:57:32

by Jagan_Pochimireddy

Subject: kernel ver 2.4.1 VFS problem

Hi ,

I wamt to use the latest kernel version 2.4.1 . I taken defualt configuration
and built bzImage. When I try to boot with this image it's giving message like
this.

" VFS:Unable to mount root device 805 or 8:05"
kernel panic "VFS:please append correct "root=\"
"VFS:Unable to open root device"

Can any body help me where could be the problem

Thanks
Jagan

2001-02-02 00:10:44

by CaT

Subject: Re: kernel ver 2.4.1 VFS problem

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 03:58:58PM -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> I wamt to use the latest kernel version 2.4.1 . I taken defualt configuration
> and built bzImage. When I try to boot with this image it's giving message like
> this.
>
> " VFS:Unable to mount root device 805 or 8:05"
> kernel panic "VFS:please append correct "root=\"
> "VFS:Unable to open root device"
>
> Can any body help me where could be the problem

Do you have the correct SCSI driver compiled into your kernel? A friend
of mine had a similar problem and that was the solution (he thought the
card was one thing but it was another).

--
CaT ([email protected]) *** Jenna has joined the channel.
<cat> speaking of mental giants..

2001-02-02 00:20:46

by Jagan_Pochimireddy

But the driver for my Hard disk is not there in the list, mine is FUJISTU disk
.I think Generic scsi driver will work

Thanks
Jagan

2001-02-02 00:25:37

by CaT

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 04:22:03PM -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> But the driver for my Hard disk is not there in the list, mine is FUJISTU disk
> .I think Generic scsi driver will work

Not the hard disk, the SCSI card...

--
CaT ([email protected]) *** Jenna has joined the channel.
<cat> speaking of mental giants..
<Jenna> me, a giant, bullshit
<Jenna> And i'm not mental
- An IRC session, 20/12/2000

2001-02-02 01:21:26

by Prasanna P Subash

On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 04:22:03PM -0800, [email protected] wrote:

> But the driver for my Hard disk is not there in the list, mine is FUJISTU disk
> .I think Generic scsi driver will work
>
> Thanks
> Jagan

Your scsi driver could be compiled into as a module. "mkinitrd" to boot off
a scsi root disk and update lilo info.
Another quick solution would be to compile the scsi driver into the kernel.

> -

Prasanna Subash --- [email protected] --- TurboLinux, INC
Linux, the choice | Can't open /usr/fortunes. Lid stuck on
of a GNU generation -o) | cookie jar.
Kernel 2.2.16 /\\ |
on a i686 _\\_v |

(No filename) (1.01 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Jagan_Pochimireddy

That problem solved by compiling the correct SCSI driver into the kernel. Now it
is the problem with input console. It says Unable to open Input console. This is
after mounting VFS.

2001-02-02 13:13:26

by Rik van Riel

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 [email protected] wrote:

> That problem solved by compiling the correct SCSI driver into
> the kernel. Now it is the problem with input console. It says
> Unable to open Input console. This is after mounting VFS.

Same thing ... you haven't compiled in a console driver.

I guess it would be good if you assumed for a while that
all errors you get are forgotten drivers, at least until
you get your system fully booted ;)

Rik
--
Linux MM bugzilla: http://linux-mm.org/bugzilla.shtml