2001-02-05 00:08:00

by Keith Owens

Subject: modversions.h source pollution in 2.4

The following files explicitly include linux/modversions.h. They
should not do this, the Makefiles are responsible for automatically
including modversions.h. Since modversions.h will disappear in 2.5,
consider this advance warning that the offending sources can expect
problems.

Maintainers: please fix these sources by removing modversions.h.

arch/ia64/kernel/palinfo.c
drivers/char/amiserial.c
drivers/char/dtlk.c
drivers/char/ip2.c
drivers/char/ip2main.c
drivers/char/rocket.c
drivers/char/serial.c
drivers/md/lvm.c
drivers/net/eepro100.c
drivers/net/epic100.c
drivers/net/starfire.c
drivers/net/wan/lmc/lmc_main.c

The presence of symbols like foo__ver_foo is not a reason to explicitly
include modversions.h, see http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s8-8.

2001-02-05 00:12:41

by Jeff Garzik

Subject: Re: modversions.h source pollution in 2.4

Keith Owens wrote:
> Maintainers: please fix these sources by removing modversions.h.
[...]
> drivers/net/epic100.c
> drivers/net/starfire.c

Fixed.

Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik | "You see, in this world there's two kinds of
Building 1024 | people, my friend: Those with loaded guns

2001-02-05 18:17:55

by Andreas Dilger

Keith Owens writes:
> The following files explicitly include linux/modversions.h. They
> should not do this, the Makefiles are responsible for automatically
> including modversions.h. Since modversions.h will disappear in 2.5,
> consider this advance warning that the offending sources can expect
> problems.
>
> Maintainers: please fix these sources by removing modversions.h.

It is not clear from your posting if anything other than removing the
"#include <linux/modversions.h>" line is needed... Also, what kernel
versions is this needed for? The LVM code uses a common source file
for 2.2 and 2.4, so should the #include stay in for 2.2?

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger \ "If a man ate a pound of pasta and a pound of antipasto,
\ would they cancel out, leaving him still hungry?"

2001-02-05 18:22:16

by Alan

> "#include <linux/modversions.h>" line is needed... Also, what kernel
> versions is this needed for? The LVM code uses a common source file
> for 2.2 and 2.4, so should the #include stay in for 2.2?

It shouldnt there for 2.2 either

2001-02-05 20:23:55

by Keith Owens

On Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:16:50 -0700 (MST),
Andreas Dilger <[email protected]> wrote:
>Keith Owens writes:
>> Maintainers: please fix these sources by removing modversions.h.
>
>It is not clear from your posting if anything other than removing the
>"#include <linux/modversions.h>" line is needed... Also, what kernel
>versions is this needed for? The LVM code uses a common source file
>for 2.2 and 2.4, so should the #include stay in for 2.2?

It should be as simple as removing #include <linux/modversions.h>, and
it applies to all kernels, back to 2.1.81.