2001-02-08 01:35:29

by Udo A. Steinberg

Subject: PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard conflict and lockup

Hi Alan et. all

I'm not sure whether this is related to the ominous ps/2 mouse bug
you have been chasing, but this problem is 100% reproducible and
very annoying.

After upgrading my Asus A7V Bios from 1003 to 1005D, gpm no longer
receives any mouse events and the mouse doesn't work in text
consoles. Once I kill gpm and restart gpm -t ps2 the keyboard
locks up.

Logging in remotely and looking at dmesg revealed the following:

keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
keyboard: unrecognized scancode (70) - ignored

If I don't kill and restart gpm, but start X, the mouse works
perfectly, but only in X.

Any ideas?

-Udo.

2001-02-08 02:42:16

by Udo A. Steinberg

Subject: Re: PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard conflict and lockup

"Udo A. Steinberg" wrote:

> I'm not sure whether this is related to the ominous ps/2 mouse bug
> you have been chasing, but this problem is 100% reproducible and
> very annoying.
>
> After upgrading my Asus A7V Bios from 1003 to 1005D, gpm no longer
> receives any mouse events and the mouse doesn't work in text
> consoles. Once I kill gpm and restart gpm -t ps2 the keyboard
> locks up.

Alright, I found the culprit - ACPI. Once I had compiled the kernel
without it, all the problems mysteriously vanished. I knew there was
a reason it was marked 'Experimental' :)

Sorry for the noise.

-Udo.

2001-02-08 08:01:52

by Alan

> I'm not sure whether this is related to the ominous ps/2 mouse bug
> you have been chasing, but this problem is 100% reproducible and
> very annoying.

It isnt but it might be related to which 2.2.19pre you are running (if any)

> After upgrading my Asus A7V Bios from 1003 to 1005D, gpm no longer
> receives any mouse events and the mouse doesn't work in text
> consoles. Once I kill gpm and restart gpm -t ps2 the keyboard
> locks up.

Does downgrading the bios fix it. If so then I suspect you need to talk to
the BIOS vendor. You might find that turning off USB legacy keyboard/mouse
emulation helps too

2001-02-08 08:05:53

by Peter Horton

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 03:35:00AM +0100, Udo A. Steinberg wrote:

> I'm not sure whether this is related to the ominous ps/2 mouse bug
> you have been chasing, but this problem is 100% reproducible and
> very annoying.
>
> After upgrading my Asus A7V Bios from 1003 to 1005D, gpm no longer
> receives any mouse events and the mouse doesn't work in text
> consoles. Once I kill gpm and restart gpm -t ps2 the keyboard
> locks up.
>
> Logging in remotely and looking at dmesg revealed the following:
>
> keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
> keyboard: unrecognized scancode (70) - ignored
>
> If I don't kill and restart gpm, but start X, the mouse works
> perfectly, but only in X.

Similiar problems here after my upgrade to 1005D. Linux somehow kills
the keyboard if I start the box without a PS/2 mouse connected. I have
another machine (these are both 2.4.1) which is a much older K6-233, and
it too kills the keyboard if no mouse is present. Keyboard works at LILO
prompt but is dead by the time I get to login. GPM doesn't work for me
either.

P.

2001-02-08 11:39:11

by Pierre Rousselet

Peter Horton wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 03:35:00AM +0100, Udo A. Steinberg wrote:

>> After upgrading my Asus A7V Bios from 1003 to 1005D

> Similiar problems here after my upgrade to 1005D.

you are not booting from a floppy, are you ?

Pierre Rousselet <[email protected]>

by Ian Stirling

> > I'm not sure whether this is related to the ominous ps/2 mouse bug
> > you have been chasing, but this problem is 100% reproducible and
> > very annoying.
<snip>

I'm also seeing a ps/2 mouse bug, with 2.4.0-pre5 (I think) on a
CS433 (486/33 laptop)
Freezes after some time in X, killing keyboard.
Is there a generic approach to finding where this sort of problem lies?
I note that there were problems in the 2.0.n era, that were fixed in
2.0.n+3 or so (I think 30), on the ct475, that were similar.

2001-02-08 15:21:27

by Udo A. Steinberg

Alan Cox wrote:

> > I'm not sure whether this is related to the ominous ps/2 mouse bug
> > you have been chasing, but this problem is 100% reproducible and
> > very annoying.
>
> It isnt but it might be related to which 2.2.19pre you are running (if any)

No, at that time I was running 2.4.1-ac5.

> Does downgrading the bios fix it. If so then I suspect you need to talk to
> the BIOS vendor. You might find that turning off USB legacy keyboard/mouse
> emulation helps too

Downgrading the Bios does fix it, but that just shadows the ACPI bugs that
cause the problem. With 1003 + ACPI, mouse and keyboard both work,
but I've seen spurious scancode problems and keyboard weirdness that I
reported to lkml a week or two ago. 1005D + ACPI completely mess up PS/2
mouse and keyboard and lock them up after a while.

The solution is not to use ACPI until that is fixed. It appears that without
ACPI everything is working perfectly.

-Udo.

2001-02-12 22:08:34

by Mark Swanson

>I'm also seeing a ps/2 mouse bug, with 2.4.0-pre5 (I think) on a
>CS433 (486/33 laptop)
>Freezes after some time in X, killing keyboard.
>Is there a generic approach to finding where this sort of problem lies?

The exact same thing happens to me too. Winbook XL2 laptop.
I can ssh to the box and kill X, and then I can use the keyboard/PS2
mouse again!

The same thing happens in console mode. Keyboard/mouse lock up, I ssh,
do the reverse of above (startx) and I can use my mouse and keyboard again!