2001-02-12 16:44:28

by Paul Powell

Subject: Programmatically probe video chipset

Is there an API or other means to determine what video
card, namely the chipset, that the user has installed
on his machine?

Thanks,
Paul

a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

2001-02-12 16:50:48

by Brian Gerst

Subject: Re: Programmatically probe video chipset

Paul Powell wrote:

> Is there an API or other means to determine what video
> card, namely the chipset, that the user has installed
> on his machine?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

The only real way is to correlate the PCI id with a chipset. This is
what XFree86 does.

--

Brian Gerst

2001-02-12 16:53:48

by Alan

> Is there an API or other means to determine what video
> card, namely the chipset, that the user has installed
> on his machine?

On a modern X86 machine use the PCI/AGP bus data. On a PS/2 use the MCA bus
data. On nubus use the nubus probe data. On old style ISA bus PCs done a large
pointy hat and spend several years reading arcane and forbidden scrolls

2001-02-12 16:59:48

by Henrik Stokseth

Paul Powell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Is there an API or other means to determine what video
> card, namely the chipset, that the user has installed
> on his machine?

for PCI and AGP cards you can scan through the bus and fetch all
vendor:device numbers of type 7 (vga compatible) IIRC and then match them
against a database. i have the code for this if you're interested.
for ISA cards that has PnP functionality you can get the vendor string using
a PnP interrupt service routine, I have never actually done that but i know
that it is possible.
But for most cards you can use the VESA VBE API to fetch the information,
you will have to do this from real/virtual mode afaik.
If you're not interrested in programming hardware you can use the pci
interface in /proc instead which is the best solution if you're running
linux. ;o)

-henrik

2001-02-12 17:04:08

by Fernando Fuganti

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Paul Powell wrote:

> Is there an API or other means to determine what video
> card, namely the chipset, that the user has installed
> on his machine?

try kudzu (a hardware detection lib from RedHat) or libdetect (another one
but from Mandrake)
they all provide a reasonable interface and database

Fernando Fuganti