2001-02-13 17:42:51

by Simon Kirby

Subject: LDT allocated for cloned task!

LDT allocated for cloned task!

I'm seeing this message come up fairly often while running vanilla
2.4.2-pre3 on my dual Celeron system. I don't think I saw it before
while running 2.4.1, but I may have just missed it.

My system has been up around two days and has 11 of these messages in the
ring buffer.

Actually, I just remembered that I'm using the mga DRI driver module
from the DRI CVS tree rather than the built-in module, so that's not part
of the official kernel...maybe that is causing the messages.

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[ [email protected] ][ [email protected] ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]

2001-02-13 18:22:51

by Alan

Subject: Re: LDT allocated for cloned task!

> LDT allocated for cloned task!
>
> I'm seeing this message come up fairly often while running vanilla
> 2.4.2-pre3 on my dual Celeron system. I don't think I saw it before
> while running 2.4.1, but I may have just missed it.

Are you running wine or dosemu ?

2001-02-13 18:48:44

by Simon Kirby

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 06:22:26PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > LDT allocated for cloned task!
> >
> > I'm seeing this message come up fairly often while running vanilla
> > 2.4.2-pre3 on my dual Celeron system. I don't think I saw it before
> > while running 2.4.1, but I may have just missed it.
>
> Are you running wine or dosemu ?

Actually, I've ran both of them at least a few times this boot.

I think I've found what's doing it...xmms with the avi-xmms plugin will
cause the message to appear at startup even without playing anything.
Moving the libraries out of the /usr/lib/xmms/Input directory and
starting xmms again will not produce any message. I only just recently
downloaded this plugin which is probably why I didn't see it before.

It's also happening on my second (non-DRI) head, so it's probably not
related to that (I'll reboot and try again without any DRI modules loaded
and see).

Simon-

[ Stormix Technologies Inc. ][ NetNation Communications Inc. ]
[ [email protected] ][ [email protected] ]
[ Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employers. ]

2001-02-14 14:07:16

by Ville Herva

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 10:48:23AM -0800, you [Simon Kirby] claimed:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 06:22:26PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > LDT allocated for cloned task!
> > >
> > > I'm seeing this message come up fairly often while running vanilla
> > > 2.4.2-pre3 on my dual Celeron system. I don't think I saw it before
> > > while running 2.4.1, but I may have just missed it.
> >
> > Are you running wine or dosemu ?
>
> Actually, I've ran both of them at least a few times this boot.
>
> I think I've found what's doing it...xmms with the avi-xmms plugin will
> cause the message to appear at startup even without playing anything.
> Moving the libraries out of the /usr/lib/xmms/Input directory and
> starting xmms again will not produce any message. I only just recently
> downloaded this plugin which is probably why I didn't see it before.
>
> It's also happening on my second (non-DRI) head, so it's probably not
> related to that (I'll reboot and try again without any DRI modules loaded
> and see).

I saw/see a lot of those messages on 2.2.18pre19 as well. I hacked the
kernel to show the process in question, and it's always xmms:

LDT allocated for cloned task (pid=20272; count=3)!

20272 pts/10 RN 186:01 xmms

And I do have the xmms-avi plugin in the plugin directory. So if you find a
bug/fix to 2.4, could you please check 2.2 as well? (I'm afraid I'm not
nearly clueful enough.)

Are these messages serious anyway?

-- v --

by Gábor Lénárt

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 04:06:49PM +0200, Ville Herva wrote:
> > I think I've found what's doing it...xmms with the avi-xmms plugin will
> > cause the message to appear at startup even without playing anything.
> > Moving the libraries out of the /usr/lib/xmms/Input directory and
> > starting xmms again will not produce any message. I only just recently
> > downloaded this plugin which is probably why I didn't see it before.
> >
> > It's also happening on my second (non-DRI) head, so it's probably not
> > related to that (I'll reboot and try again without any DRI modules loaded
> > and see).
>
> I saw/see a lot of those messages on 2.2.18pre19 as well. I hacked the
> kernel to show the process in question, and it's always xmms:
>
> LDT allocated for cloned task (pid=20272; count=3)!
>
> 20272 pts/10 RN 186:01 xmms
>
> And I do have the xmms-avi plugin in the plugin directory. So if you find a
> bug/fix to 2.4, could you please check 2.2 as well? (I'm afraid I'm not
> nearly clueful enough.)

xmms-avi uses DLL loader from wine too? I mean does it use windows codecs
to play AVIs? In this case, the dll loader set up some LDT settings and
this casue that message. However with our player - mplayer - it does not
detected my myself (it can use DLLs to play DivX movies, as well).

--
--[ G?bor L?n?rt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ [email protected] ]--
U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!

2001-02-14 14:15:46

by Ville Herva

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 03:12:29PM +0100, you [G?bor L?n?rt] claimed:

> xmms-avi uses DLL loader from wine too?

AFAIK: yes.

> I mean does it use windows codecs
> to play AVIs? In this case, the dll loader set up some LDT settings and
> this casue that message.

So this is a harmless message?

> However with our player - mplayer - it does not
> detected my myself (it can use DLLs to play DivX movies, as well).

Cool.

-- v --

[email protected]