2001-02-14 01:58:10

by Elliot Lee

Subject: Driver for Casio Cassiopia Fiva touchscreen, help with conversion to 2.4

Available at http://people.redhat.com/~sopwith/fidmour-linux.c is a driver
for the touch screen used on the Cassiopia Fiva MPC-501 pen computer. It
is a rather Bad Hack (seeing as it was built rather blindly to mimic the
behaviour of the Windows driver, and has IRQ/port hardcoded in), but it
works for me with the 2.2.16 kernel.

The device outputs 5 byte packets - 1 status byte, 2 bytes each for X & Y
coordinates. The devel branch of GTK+ has support for /dev/fidmour in the
Linux framebuffer backend (gtk+/gdk/linux-fb/gdkmouse-fb.c), should you
wish to see a code sample.

I'm wondering if anyone has a resource that would provide information on
porting this driver to the 2.4 kernel.

I would welcome comments on this driver, or on the MPC-501 and Linux in
general. Bonus points to anyone who actually understands why the driver
works and how the hardware works. :)

Hope this helps,
-- Elliot
Who me? I just wander from room to room.

2001-02-14 12:04:35

by Alan

Subject: Re: Driver for Casio Cassiopia Fiva touchscreen, help with conversion

> is a rather Bad Hack (seeing as it was built rather blindly to mimic the
> behaviour of the Windows driver, and has IRQ/port hardcoded in), but it
> works for me with the 2.2.16 kernel.

Thats pretty much how we did the pc110 pad driver too.

> The device outputs 5 byte packets - 1 status byte, 2 bytes each for X & Y
> coordinates. The devel branch of GTK+ has support for /dev/fidmour in the

That also sounds suprisingly familiar. I wonder, I wonder 8)

> I'm wondering if anyone has a resource that would provide information on
> porting this driver to the 2.4 kernel.

Two approaches. #1 You leave it as its own misc device and XInput device as
the pc110 pad does (the pc110pad reports ps/2 codes and does drag/tap in
the driver - might be worth a look to steal that)

> I would welcome comments on this driver, or on the MPC-501 and Linux in
> general. Bonus points to anyone who actually understands why the driver
> works and how the hardware works. :)

You might want to let the guys at http://www.amherst.co.uk know about it so they can
add it to their resources on the fiva

2001-02-14 12:57:11

by Bruce Harada

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:04:41 +0000 (GMT)
Alan Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thats pretty much how we did the pc110 pad driver too.

This is getting off-topic, but I was wondering - does the pc110 pad driver
still work? I seem to recall trying it around 2.2.9 or so, and eventually
giving up. (Not that it's vital or anything, but I have three of the
little things lying around here that I keep on telling myself I'm going to
use one day...)

And while we're on the topic, toy.cabi.net is still listed in
Configure.help as the location for the pc110 pad driver docs, but it
doesn't resolve for me...

--
Bruce Harada

by Alan

> This is getting off-topic, but I was wondering - does the pc110 pad driver
> still work? I seem to recall trying it around 2.2.9 or so, and eventually

It worked last time I check with 2.4test something. I dont boot the little
box very often now , its just too slow.

> And while we're on the topic, toy.cabi.net is still listed in
> Configure.help as the location for the pc110 pad driver docs, but it
> doesn't resolve for me...

The cabi.net stuff is long gone, alas so are the docs.

Alan