2001-02-15 01:07:10

by Scott M. Hoffman

Subject: crash 5/5 w/ memtest86

Hi,
After getting several segfaults running fetchmail, I tried memtest86 for
the first time on my PC (Celeron 500, i810m/b from e-machines). Five out
of five tries from two different floppy disks crashed at 6% into test 1.
I suspected a new PC133 memory stick, but the test failed at the same
point without it. My system has run fine with this for at least five
days, I only noticed a problem after an oops last night, after upgrading
to the 2.4.2-pre3 kernel yesterday morning.
Is there any other way to test whether this may be a memory problem or
something else, besides gettig more ram or a different motherboard?
I do have an strace of one SIGSEGV from a fetchmail run, if it might
help.

Thanks,
Scott

2001-02-15 08:37:22

by Darren Tucker

Subject: Re: crash 5/5 w/ memtest86

> After getting several segfaults running fetchmail, I tried memtest86 for
> the first time on my PC (Celeron 500, i810m/b from e-machines). Five out
> of five tries from two different floppy disks crashed at 6% into test 1.

Does the machine in question have 256 MB of RAM, perchance?

I ask because 6% or 256Mb it about 15MB or so and some motherboards have a
BIOS setting for a "memory hole at 15MB" (or something like that), which
might be the cause.

Then again, it might not.

-Daz.