2001-02-18 23:08:42

by lafanga lafanga

Subject: Proliant hangs with 2.4 but works with 2.2.

I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 server which can be hung on demand with all
the 2.4 series kernels I have tried (2.4, 2.4.1 & 2.4.2-pre3). Kernel 2.2.16
runs perfectly (from a default RH7.0).

I have ensured that the server meets the necessary requirements for the 2.4
kernels (modutils etc) and I have tried kgcc and various gcc versions. When
compiling I have tried default configs and also minimalist configs (with
only cpqarray and tlan). I have also ensured that I have the latest current
SmartStart CD (4.9) and have setup the firmware for installing Linux.

The programs 'gpm', 'kudzu' and 'startx' all hang the server immediately
after they exit (with exit status 0). I cannot pinpoint why the kernel hangs
and would appreciate any help. The only thing I suspect it may be is that it
is a dual processor mobo with only one processor but I don't know how this
detection has changed in the 2.4 kernels.

Thanks.

Ayub.

by Johannes Erdfelt

Subject: Re: Proliant hangs with 2.4 but works with 2.2.

On Sun, Feb 18, 2001, lafanga lafanga <[email protected]> wrote:
> The programs 'gpm', 'kudzu' and 'startx' all hang the server immediately
> after they exit (with exit status 0). I cannot pinpoint why the kernel hangs
> and would appreciate any help. The only thing I suspect it may be is that it
> is a dual processor mobo with only one processor but I don't know how this
> detection has changed in the 2.4 kernels.

I bet you it has to do with the PS/2 port. Do you have a mouse plugged
in?

Does the 1600 use a Serverworks chipset?

JE

2001-02-19 00:04:32

by lafanga lafanga

There is indeed a PS/2 mouse and it is plugged in. As far as I know its an
Intel 440BX chipset since its a 100Mhz bus.

>From: Johannes Erdfelt <[email protected]>
>To: lafanga lafanga <[email protected]>
>CC: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: Proliant hangs with 2.4 but works with 2.2.
>Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:57:48 -0500
>
>On Sun, Feb 18, 2001, lafanga lafanga <[email protected]> wrote:
> > The programs 'gpm', 'kudzu' and 'startx' all hang the server immediately
> > after they exit (with exit status 0). I cannot pinpoint why the kernel
>hangs
> > and would appreciate any help. The only thing I suspect it may be is
>that it
> > is a dual processor mobo with only one processor but I don't know how
>this
> > detection has changed in the 2.4 kernels.
>
>I bet you it has to do with the PS/2 port. Do you have a mouse plugged
>in?
>
>Does the 1600 use a Serverworks chipset?
>
>JE

by Trevor Hemsley

On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:09:17, "lafanga lafanga" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 server which can be hung on demand with all
> the 2.4 series kernels I have tried (2.4, 2.4.1 & 2.4.2-pre3). Kernel 2.2.16
> runs perfectly (from a default RH7.0).
>
> I have ensured that the server meets the necessary requirements for the 2.4
> kernels (modutils etc) and I have tried kgcc and various gcc versions. When
> compiling I have tried default configs and also minimalist configs (with
> only cpqarray and tlan). I have also ensured that I have the latest current
> SmartStart CD (4.9) and have setup the firmware for installing Linux.

If you cat /proc/ioports does cpqarray show any registered ioports? I
think it has a bug that means it doesn't request_region() for the
ioports it uses and this means that any other driver that tries to
auto-detect hardware by probing ports can stomp on its toes. This is
certainly the case for EISA cpqarray controllers which is where I
found this. I sent a report into [email protected] or whatever the
address listed in the maintainers file is but haven't heard anything.
This bug _may_ only exist for EISA controllers - I couldn't test the
PCI version since the only machine I have with one in is running that
other o/s.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

by Alan

> The programs 'gpm', 'kudzu' and 'startx' all hang the server immediately
> after they exit (with exit status 0). I cannot pinpoint why the kernel hangs
> and would appreciate any help. The only thing I suspect it may be is that it

The three of them all touch the mouse. Does

dd if=/dev/psaux of=/dev/null count=256

also hang the box ?

2001-02-19 10:36:26

by lafanga lafanga

Alan,

You were spot on. Indeed touching the device file causes it to hang. Should
I recompile the kernel in a particular way to avoid this?

Many Thanks.

>From: Alan Cox <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected] (lafanga lafanga)
>CC: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: Proliant hangs with 2.4 but works with 2.2.
>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 01:53:59 +0000 (GMT)
>
> > The programs 'gpm', 'kudzu' and 'startx' all hang the server immediately
> > after they exit (with exit status 0). I cannot pinpoint why the kernel
>hangs
> > and would appreciate any help. The only thing I suspect it may be is
>that it
>
>The three of them all touch the mouse. Does
>
>dd if=/dev/psaux of=/dev/null count=256
>
>also hang the box ?

by Alan

> You were spot on. Indeed touching the device file causes it to hang. Should
> I recompile the kernel in a particular way to avoid this?

I'd be interested to know if 2.2.19pre works or not. I'd like to fix the hang
most definitely.

As a short term cure

rm /dev/psaux

you can use mknod to put it back if you ever need to. But that will disable
PS/2 mouse support on that box somewhat

2001-02-19 14:40:05

by lafanga lafanga

Alan,

I'll be happy to test out 2.2.19pre. I'm having a little difficulty locating
it though on kernel.org. Can you or somebody send me a URL for this.

Thanks.

>From: Alan Cox <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected] (lafanga lafanga)
>CC: [email protected], [email protected]
>Subject: Re: Proliant hangs with 2.4 but works with 2.2.
>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:37:49 +0000 (GMT)
>
> > You were spot on. Indeed touching the device file causes it to hang.
>Should
> > I recompile the kernel in a particular way to avoid this?
>
>I'd be interested to know if 2.2.19pre works or not. I'd like to fix the
>hang
>most definitely.
>
>As a short term cure
>
>rm /dev/psaux
>
>you can use mknod to put it back if you ever need to. But that will disable
>PS/2 mouse support on that box somewhat
>

>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by Alan

> I'll be happy to test out 2.2.19pre. I'm having a little difficulty locating
> it though on kernel.org. Can you or somebody send me a URL for this.

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/...

each 2.2.19pre patch is versus the 2.2.18 base

ie

tar xvfz linux-2.2.18.tar.gz
cd linux
patch -p1 <../patch-2.2.19prefoo

2001-02-19 17:30:33

by lafanga lafanga

Alan,

I have tried kernel version 2.2.19pre13 and it works with no problems
whatsoever.

Thanks.

>From: Alan Cox <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected] (lafanga lafanga)
>CC: [email protected], [email protected]
>Subject: Re: Proliant hangs with 2.4 but works with 2.2.
>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:17:06 +0000 (GMT)
>
> > I'll be happy to test out 2.2.19pre. I'm having a little difficulty
>locating
> > it though on kernel.org. Can you or somebody send me a URL for this.
>
>ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/...
>
>each 2.2.19pre patch is versus the 2.2.18 base
>
>ie
>
> tar xvfz linux-2.2.18.tar.gz
> cd linux
> patch -p1 <../patch-2.2.19prefoo
>
>-
>the body of a message to [email protected]

by Arturas V

lafanga lafanga wrote:
>I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 server which can be hung on demand with >all
>the 2.4 series kernels I have tried (2.4, 2.4.1 & 2.4.2-pre3). >Kernel
>2.2.16 runs perfectly (from a default RH7.0).

>I have ensured that the server meets the necessary requirements for >the
>2.4 kernels (modutils etc) and I have tried kgcc and various gcc versions.
> >When compiling I have tried default configs and also minimalist configs
>(with only cpqarray and tlan). I have also ensured that I have the latest
> >current SmartStart CD (4.9) and have setup the firmware for installing
>Linux.

I had similar problem with 2.4.5 Kernel. I managed to solve the problem by
configuring a working verion of kernel with
NCR53C8XX SCSI support as well as SYM53C8XX. As far as I understood
SYM53C8xx support covers 53C8xx chips better than NCR53C8xx and that makes
all the difference. Anyone understands why?
---
Arturas Vaitaitis.
---
Please CC to [email protected]
P.S. Intelligence has yet to prove its survival value

by Mr. James W. Laferriere

Hello Arturus , Fyi , The SYM2 version of the 53c8xx driver
(imo) has better support for both the older & newer chips .
The first 2.4 kernel with the SYM2 included is 2.4.16 (iirc) .
Hth , JimL

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Arturas V wrote:
> lafanga lafanga wrote:
> >I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 server which can be hung on demand with >all
> >the 2.4 series kernels I have tried (2.4, 2.4.1 & 2.4.2-pre3). >Kernel
> >2.2.16 runs perfectly (from a default RH7.0).
>
> >I have ensured that the server meets the necessary requirements for >the
> >2.4 kernels (modutils etc) and I have tried kgcc and various gcc versions.
> > >When compiling I have tried default configs and also minimalist configs
> >(with only cpqarray and tlan). I have also ensured that I have the latest
> > >current SmartStart CD (4.9) and have setup the firmware for installing
> >Linux.
>
> I had similar problem with 2.4.5 Kernel. I managed to solve the problem by
> configuring a working verion of kernel with
> NCR53C8XX SCSI support as well as SYM53C8XX. As far as I understood
> SYM53C8xx support covers 53C8xx chips better than NCR53C8xx and that makes
> all the difference. Anyone understands why?
> ---
> Arturas Vaitaitis.
> ---
> Please CC to [email protected]
> P.S. Intelligence has yet to prove its survival value

| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | P.O. Box 854 | Give me Linux |
| [email protected] | Coudersport PA 16915 | only on AXP |

by Gérard Roudier

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Arturas V wrote:

> lafanga lafanga wrote:
> >I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 server which can be hung on demand with >all
> >the 2.4 series kernels I have tried (2.4, 2.4.1 & 2.4.2-pre3). >Kernel
> >2.2.16 runs perfectly (from a default RH7.0).
>
> >I have ensured that the server meets the necessary requirements for >the
> >2.4 kernels (modutils etc) and I have tried kgcc and various gcc versions.
> > >When compiling I have tried default configs and also minimalist configs
> >(with only cpqarray and tlan). I have also ensured that I have the latest
> > >current SmartStart CD (4.9) and have setup the firmware for installing
> >Linux.
>
> I had similar problem with 2.4.5 Kernel. I managed to solve the problem by
> configuring a working verion of kernel with
> NCR53C8XX SCSI support as well as SYM53C8XX. As far as I understood
> SYM53C8xx support covers 53C8xx chips better than NCR53C8xx and that makes
> all the difference. Anyone understands why?

- NCR53C8XX supports all chips except the 53C1010 (33MHz and 66MHz
PCI) Ultra-160 controllers.

- SYM53C8XX supports chips that implement LOAD/STORE scripts
instructions. As a result the 53C1010 Ultra-160 controllers are
supported (+810A,860,875,895,895A,896).

- SYM53C8XX_2 (aka sym-2) supports all chips from earliest 810 rev.1 to
latest 53C1010-66. Hopefully will replace SYM53C8XX/NCR53C8XX bundle.

(In fact, NCR53C8XX was only useful for 810 and 815 controllers)

For chips that support LOAD/STORE, the SYM53C8XX and SYM53C8XX_2 drivers
care about the chips not mastering themselves over the PCI, as required by
PCI 2.2 specifications.

NCR53C8XX and SYM53C8XX interface with scsi layer using the scsi-obsolete
interface. SYM53C8XX_2 uses the EH interface.

You are encouraged to use SYM53C8XX_2 (aka sym-2, aka SYM53C8XX version
2). The driver is available in latest 2.4 and 2.5 kernels and can also be
used on 2.2 kernel.

G?rard.