2001-02-15 20:35:40

by Thomas Lau

Subject: finding Tekram SCSI dc395U linux patch driver:

hey, I found this driver on mandrake kernel sources, it's ac3, but I
need ac14 code, also, why still not port this driver into kernel?
the patch file already released 1 years ago

2001-02-15 21:46:53

by Juergen Schoew

Subject: RE: finding Tekram SCSI dc395U linux patch driver:

Hi,
On 15-Feb-01 Thomas Lau wrote:
> hey, I found this driver on mandrake kernel sources, it's ac3, but I
> need ac14 code, also, why still not port this driver into kernel?
> the patch file already released 1 years ago

Have you checked http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/index.html
there ist a driver Version 1.32 (2000-12-02).

Regards

Juergen Schoew

2001-02-16 08:02:11

by Chmouel Boudjnah

Juergen Schoew <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi,
> On 15-Feb-01 Thomas Lau wrote:
> > hey, I found this driver on mandrake kernel sources, it's ac3, but I
> > need ac14 code, also, why still not port this driver into kernel?
> > the patch file already released 1 years ago
>
> Have you checked http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/index.html
> there ist a driver Version 1.32 (2000-12-02).

it's the version included with the mandrake kernel.

--
MandrakeSoft Inc http://www.chmouel.org
--Chmouel

2001-02-16 10:27:19

by Thomas Lau

Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:

> Juergen Schoew <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> > On 15-Feb-01 Thomas Lau wrote:
> > > hey, I found this driver on mandrake kernel sources, it's ac3, but I
> > > need ac14 code, also, why still not port this driver into kernel?
> > > the patch file already released 1 years ago
> >
> > Have you checked http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/index.html
> > there ist a driver Version 1.32 (2000-12-02).
>
> it's the version included with the mandrake kernel.
>
> --
> MandrakeSoft Inc http://www.chmouel.org
> --Chmouel
> -

Well, I think it should add to normal kernel and do not need to patch, Thanks

also, why this driver still stick in ac3?
and where can I find the new version of this patch?
I think mandrake was improved that driver, Thanks

2001-02-16 13:14:19

by Jocelyn Mayer

> Well, I think it should add to normal kernel and do not need to patch,
> Thanks
>
> also, why this driver still stick in ac3?
> and where can I find the new version of this patch?
> I think mandrake was improved that driver, Thanks

I'm not so sure...
I've been using this driver for a long time,
and there still are kernel Ooops and hangs
with the 1.32 driver...
Actually, it's quite stable, but only with 5 M
speed. It's a pity when your card can drive
a SCSI bus up to 40 M/s....
But, even with that speed, I got problems
from time to time....

So, you should take a good care of what you do...
But, maybe it shold be integrated into the kernel
so a lot of people could test and (maybe) debut it...

Jocelyn Mayer.

2001-02-16 16:06:33

by Thomas Lau

Jocelyn Mayer wrote:

> > Well, I think it should add to normal kernel and do not need to patch,
> > Thanks
> >
> > also, why this driver still stick in ac3?
> > and where can I find the new version of this patch?
> > I think mandrake was improved that driver, Thanks
> >
> I'm not so sure...
> I've been using this driver for a long time,
> and there still are kernel Ooops and hangs
> with the 1.32 driver...
> Actually, it's quite stable, but only with 5 M
> speed. It's a pity when your card can drive
> a SCSI bus up to 40 M/s....
> But, even with that speed, I got problems
> from time to time....
>
> So, you should take a good care of what you do...
> But, maybe it shold be integrated into the kernel
> so a lot of people could test and (maybe) debut it...
>
> Jocelyn Mayer.

that's what I want to do, if not included in kernel = not a lot of people
know what is this, so no one will help to improve this driver!
I hope alan can help to add this driver into kernel hacks, Thanks

2001-02-20 02:42:35

by Tim Wright

I asked Kurt why it was not submitted to the mainstream kernel. He said that
some people are still experiencing problems with the card/driver and he doesn't
feel it's stable enough to go in. I'm personally using it with no issues, but
I'm only driving a CD-RW - not exactly stressing things.

It sounds like the people having issues need to debug the problems, or maybe
it could go in under CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL ?

Tim

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 10:46:22PM +0100, Juergen Schoew wrote:
> Hi,
> On 15-Feb-01 Thomas Lau wrote:
> > hey, I found this driver on mandrake kernel sources, it's ac3, but I
> > need ac14 code, also, why still not port this driver into kernel?
> > the patch file already released 1 years ago
>
> Have you checked http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/index.html
> there ist a driver Version 1.32 (2000-12-02).
>
> Regards
>
> Juergen Schoew
> -

Tim Wright - [email protected] or [email protected] or [email protected]
IBM Linux Technology Center, Beaverton, Oregon
Interested in Linux scalability ? Look at http://lse.sourceforge.net/
"Nobody ever said I was charming, they said "Rimmer, you're a git!"" RD VI

2001-02-20 16:29:00

by Kurt Garloff

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 06:27:20PM +0800, Thomas Lau wrote:
> Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:
> > Juergen Schoew <[email protected]> writes:
> > >
> > > Have you checked http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/index.html
> > > there ist a driver Version 1.32 (2000-12-02).
> >
> > it's the version included with the mandrake kernel.
>
> Well, I think it should add to normal kernel and do not need to patch, Thanks

No, it shouldn't.
Drivers normally get added to the mainstream kernel if the driver is stable
enough and somebody acting as maintainer requests to have it included. And,
then of course, Linus / Alan / ... need to accept it.

I'm maintaining this driver, but in spite of lots of requests to add it to
the mainstream kernels, I refused to do so. The reason is that some people
(ca. 5%) using this driver are having serious problems, which I have not
been able to track down so far. In the worst case, you can end up with data
corruption. (I could reproduce and fix some of the problems, but not the data
corruption one.) As that's not funny, I do not want the driver to be in the
mainstream kernel.

?

> and where can I find the new version of this patch?

My version is on
http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/

> I think mandrake was improved that driver, Thanks

I would be both amazed and pissed off if this would be the case.
Amazed because somebody was investing time to work on the driver and
potentially even fix problems.
Pissed off, because I think it's very bad to fix problems and not submit
the patches back to the official maintainers.

BTW, if somebody can provide a reasonable description of the chip
(TRM-S1040), the chances that I'd find the bug would increase a lot ...

Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development
SuSE GmbH, Nuernberg, FRG SCSI, Security

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.18 kB)
(No filename) (232.00 B)

by Thomas Lau

Kurt Garloff wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 06:27:20PM +0800, Thomas Lau wrote:
> > Chmouel Boudjnah wrote:

> > > it's the version included with the mandrake kernel.
> >
> > Well, I think it should add to normal kernel and do not need to patch, Thanks
>
> No, it shouldn't.
> Drivers normally get added to the mainstream kernel if the driver is stable
> enough and somebody acting as maintainer requests to have it included. And,
> then of course, Linus / Alan / ... need to accept it.
>
> I'm maintaining this driver, but in spite of lots of requests to add it to
> the mainstream kernels, I refused to do so. The reason is that some people
> (ca. 5%) using this driver are having serious problems, which I have not
> been able to track down so far. In the worst case, you can end up with data
> corruption. (I could reproduce and fix some of the problems, but not the data
> corruption one.) As that's not funny, I do not want the driver to be in the
> mainstream kernel.
>
> > also, why this driver still stick in ac3?
>
> ?
>
> > and where can I find the new version of this patch?
>
> My version is on
> http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/dc395/
>
> > I think mandrake was improved that driver, Thanks
>
> I would be both amazed and pissed off if this would be the case.
> Amazed because somebody was investing time to work on the driver and
> potentially even fix problems.
> Pissed off, because I think it's very bad to fix problems and not submit
> the patches back to the official maintainers.
>
> BTW, if somebody can provide a reasonable description of the chip
> (TRM-S1040), the chances that I'd find the bug would increase a lot ...
>
> Regards,
> --
> Kurt Garloff <[email protected]> Eindhoven, NL
> GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development
> SuSE GmbH, Nuernberg, FRG SCSI, Security

> Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature

well, I saw the driver not updated for a few months ago, can you release a new
unstable driver to people?
also, Mandrake and SuSE have a lot of expert that you can find them to help you,
they have a lot of resource if you request :)
and I hope you can have a path in kernel.org, so we can get the last release of
DC395 driver, Thanks a lot

2001-02-21 03:01:01

by James Cleverdon

: