2001-02-23 09:56:23

by Rahul

Subject: Linux device driver writing

Hi friends,

I am new to this field of writing device drivers. I
have done my course in Unix/C and presently working
for a company in india in embedded systems. I am
looking forward to write some device drivers in
Linux/Unix/QNX can any one suggest me any good book
which i can refer for my guidance.

thx for your constant support.
bye
rahul

by Marcus Ramos

Subject: Re: Linux device driver writing

Hello,

For Linux you can use the good and complete "Linux Device Drivers" by
Alessandro Rubini, O'Reilly, 1998. For other flavors of Unix, I am aware only
of old text books of little interest for present systems. Good luck.

Marcus.

Rahul wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> I am new to this field of writing device drivers. I
> have done my course in Unix/C and presently working
> for a company in india in embedded systems. I am
> looking forward to write some device drivers in
> Linux/Unix/QNX can any one suggest me any good book
> which i can refer for my guidance.
>
> thx for your constant support.
> bye
> rahul

by Erik Mouw

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 03:06:13PM -0200, Marcus Ramos wrote:
> For Linux you can use the good and complete "Linux Device Drivers" by
> Alessandro Rubini, O'Reilly, 1998. For other flavors of Unix, I am aware only
> of old text books of little interest for present systems. Good luck.

Problem with that edition is quite old. Yes, it's good and the general
guidelines still apply, but the details are obsoleted by the newer
kernels. When I asked the O'Reilly at LWE NY, they told me that the
second edition (which covers 2.4) will be released in May this year.

Another good place to start is of course http://www.kernelnewbies.org/

Erik

Delft University of Technology, PO BOX 5031, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands
Phone: +31-15-2783635 Fax: +31-15-2781843 Email: [email protected]

by Prasanna P Subash

a treasure trove of info on linux would be /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-docs.txt

-Prasanna