2001-03-08 14:18:41

by Mircea Damian

Subject: Kernel crash - reboot or hang

Hello,

I NEED TO TRACE THIS!!!

I had two crashes with 2.4.2 and 2.4.2-pre2 on my local SMTP/POP3/SAMBA/WWW
server (once under some load and the second one - with 2.4.2-pre2 - while
it was almost idle).

The machine is an HP Netserver LHII without the standard raid card that
comes with it (see bellow for dmesg output for a better description of
hardware).

I do not see any corruption nor any messages in logs.

Should I use kdb or just remote logging would do the job?

--
Mircea Damian
E-mails: [email protected], [email protected]

Attachments:
(No filename) (581.00 B)
dmesg (12.63 kB)

by Chris Mason

Subject: Re: Kernel crash - reboot or hang

On Thursday, March 08, 2001 04:17:23 PM +0200 Mircea Damian
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I NEED TO TRACE THIS!!!
>
> I had two crashes with 2.4.2 and 2.4.2-pre2 on my local
> SMTP/POP3/SAMBA/WWW server (once under some load and the second one -
> with 2.4.2-pre2 - while it was almost idle).
>
> The machine is an HP Netserver LHII without the standard raid card that
> comes with it (see bellow for dmesg output for a better description of
> hardware).
>
> I do not see any corruption nor any messages in logs.
>

> Should I use kdb or just remote logging would do the job?

A serial console is probably your best bet. You if your mail spool is on
reiserfs, you probably want to apply the dir fsync patch (included in
2.4.3pre and the latest ac stuff).

-chris

2001-03-09 03:47:49

by Keith Owens

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:17:23 +0200,
Mircea Damian <[email protected]> wrote:
>I had two crashes with 2.4.2 and 2.4.2-pre2 on my local SMTP/POP3/SAMBA/WWW
>server (once under some load and the second one - with 2.4.2-pre2 - while
>it was almost idle).
>Should I use kdb or just remote logging would do the job?

kdb with a serial console.